Dorset OPC

Pulham

Dorset OPC


Church of St Thomas a Becket

Pulham (East and West) is a somewhat dispersed village and parish that lies in the Vale of Blackmoor, about 13 miles north of Dorchester, 7 miles south-west of Sturminster Newton and 8 miles south-east of Sherborne, on the B3143 road. Referred to as Poleham in the Domesday Book (1086AD), it had become Puleham by 1130 and Pullam at 1212. The present spelling of Pulham has been in use since 1244. The adjoining parishes are Glanvilles Wootton and Holwell, towards the west, and Hazelbury Bryan to the east.

The church of St Thomas Becket sits a little apart from the village it serves and is mostly Tudor in style although it was restored in 1870 to the designs of the Rev. F. C. H. Randolph, rector of Ringmore, Devon, when the North Aisle and sections of the South were rebuilt. The tower contains four bells, the fourth being added in 1884. All the windows are stained, the East being a memorial to the Hine family. The church register dates from 1734. The church has an unusual porch which contains a steep staircase into a chamber above called a Parvis chamber, these had many uses but were normally used for visiting priests.


Church Chancel


The Online Parish Clerk (OPC) for Pulham is Derek Smith
Derek can be contacted via email, just click on the above link.
If you have any other information that could be included for the benefit of others with Pulham interests, it would be most welcome


Census 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871
1881, 1891, 1901, 1911
Parish Registers Baptisms 1813-1906
Marriages 1813-1921
Burials 1813-1981
Bishops Transcripts Baptisms 1732-1812
Marriages 1731-1904
Burials 1734-1905
Postal Directories Kelly's 1880, 1895 & 1935
Photographs Additional Photographs of the church and parish
Indexes Index of Pulham Wills
Will of William Parsons [d1760] [courtesy of Bob Hills]
Index of Pulham Banns & Marriages
Index of Strays,
Miscellaneous,
Pulham Strays on the OPC site

Monumental Inscriptions for St Thomas a Becket Church
Church Records War Memorial from within the church
Presentation Scroll of 1928
Links
Maps The 1891 Ordnance Survey maps of the parish can be seen at the old-maps site, just enter 'Pulham' under place search.

OPC PAGE

Visitors to Dorset OPC

shopify site analytics

Privacy Policy

Copyright (c) 2017 Dorset OPC Project