Alton Pancras is a small village 9 miles north of Dorchester and 2 miles east of Cerne Abbas. Its original name was Awultune meaning 'the village at the source of the river', Pancras being added later with the dedication of the church. All that is left of the original church of St Pancras is the 15th Century tower and part of a Norman arch, the rest being rebuilt in 1875 to the design of Mr Crickmay. It is believed there has been a church on the site from at least Norman times. The church is built in stone in the early English style. The church contains a 15th Century font and a medieval Cresset stone an early form of lighting where a hollow would be filled with oil and a lighted wick. There is an unusual manor house at Alton. The five bay east front has a distinctive colour scheme of purple brick with red and yellow dressing.
The Online Parish
Clerk (OPC) for Alton Pancras is Wanda Garrett
|Census||1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881 & 1891|
|Parish Registers||Phillimore Marriages 1674-1812 & 1813-1847
Transcription of Baptisms 1700-1879
Transcription of Burials 1700-1879
|Postal Directories||Kelly's 1848, Post Office 1855, Post Office 1859, Kelly's 1865, 1880, 1895 & 1935|
|Other Records||Manorial Survey 1728, Militia Lists 1796, 1799|
|Records Held at the Dorset History Centre
Christenings 1673/4-1961. Marriages 1674-1988. Burials 1674-1997.
Christenings 1673-1812. Marriages 1674-1836. Burials 1674-1837.
|Maps||For modern location maps visit:- www.multimap.com|
Visitors to Dorset OPC
Copyright (c) 2017 Dorset OPC Project