Alton Pancras

Trade Directories

1848   1855   1859

Transcribed by Dorinda Miles from  photocopies of the directory provided by the Dorchester Reference Library.

 

 Kelly's Directory of Dorsetshire 1848

Alton Pancras is a small village, 8 miles north from Dorchester, 2 miles east from Cerne and 18 south-west from Blandford, in the division and Union of Cerne and diocese of Salisbury. The living is a vicarage, value 120, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury, and is enjoyed by the Rev. Robert Shittler, B.D. The church is a small plain Gothic structure, in bad repair; is expected, on account of the numerous springs, to be pulled down, and rebuilt on a different site. Here is a small National School, Miss Louisa Lacy, mistress. Population, 300; acres, about 2,200.

 

MILLER Mr Michael

SHITTLER Rev Robert, B.D. [Rector]

BROWNE John, beer retailer

COOMBS William, mason

DUNNING Thomas, miler

HAWKINS Charles, yeoman

KENT John, yeoman

MASTERS William, carpenter

 

Letters received through Blandford

 

 

Post Office Directory of Dorsetshire 1855

Alton Pancras is a parish and small village, 6 miles north from Dorchester, and 2 miles east from Cerne, in the division and Union of Cerne and diocese of Salisbury. The living is a vicarage, value 120, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury, and is enjoyed by the Rev. Robert Shittler, B.D. The church, dedicated to St Pancras, is a small plain Gothic structure, in bad repair; is expected, on account of the numerous springs, to be pulled down and rebuilt on a different site. Here is a small National School, Mrs Elizabeth Sims, mistress. Population, in 1851, was 282; acres, about .2,200.HOLCOMB is half a mile north-west.

 

GENTRY

MILLER Michael Esq

SHITTLER Rev Robert, B.D. [Vicar]

COOMBS William, bricklayer

DRAPER William, dairyman

EDWARDS Thomas, miller

HAWKINS Charles, farmer

KENT John, farmer

MASTERS Alfred, shopkeeper & shoemaker

MASTERS William, carpenter

SIMS Elizabeth (Mrs), schoolmistress
 

Letters received from Dorchester via Piddletown. The nearest money order office is at Cerne Abbas.

 

 

Post Office Directory of Dorsetshire 1859

Alton Pancras is a parish and small village,8 miles north from Dorchester, and 2 east from Cerne, in the division and Union of Cerne, Dorchester county court district, diocese of Salisbury, archdeaconry of Dorset, and deanery of Whitchurch. The living is a vicarage, value 120, with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury, and is enjoyed by the Rev. Augustas B Handley, B.A. The church of St Pancras, is a small plain Gothic structure, in bad repair; is expected, on account of the numerous springs, to be pulled down and rebuilt on a different site. Here is a small National School, Mrs Elizabeth Sims, mistress. Population, in 1851, was 282; acres, about 2,200. HOLCOMB is half a mile north-west.

 

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

HANDLEY Rev Augustus B, B.A. [Vicar]

MILLER Michael Esq
 

COMMERCIAL

COOMBS William, bricklayer

DRAPER William, dairyman

EDWARDS Thomas, miller

HAWKINS Charles, farmer

KENT John, farmer

MASTERS Alfred, shopkeeper & shoemaker

MASTERS William, carpenter

KINGSBURY Miss, schoolmistress (as printed)

Letters from: Dorchester, via Piddletown. The nearest money order office is at Cerne Abbas.

 

Alton Pancras Page | OPC Home Page