Alton Pancras

Directories

1865   1880   1895   1935

Transcribed by Wanda Garrett

 

1865 Harrod’s Directory

ALTON PANCRAS, a parish and village, distant 8 miles N. from Dorchester, and 2 E. from Cerne, in the division and union of Cerne. The living is a vicarage, value 140 (pounds), with residence. The Rev. Augustus B. Handley, B.A., is the incumbent. The church of St. Pancras is a small plain Gothic building. Here is a national school. Population in 1861 was 270, including Holcomb; acres, 2,243. E. Saunders, Esq., owns the greater portion of the parish.

Postal Regulation. – Letters from Dorchester, via Piddletown. The nearest money-order office is at Cerne Abbas.

 

Handley Rev. Augustus B., B.A., vicar Edwards Thomas, miller
Commerical Hawkins Mrs. S.C., farmer
Coombs William, bricklayer Kent John, farmer
Cross Miss, National Schoolmistress Masters Alfred, shopkeeper and shoemaker
Draper William, dairyman Masters William, carpenter

 

1880 Kelly’s Directory

ALTON PANCRAS is a parish and small village, 8 miles north from Dorchester railway station and 2 east from Cerne, in the petty sessional division and union of Cerne, Dorchester county court district, diocese of Salisbury, archdeaconry of Dorset and rural deanery of Whitchurch third person. The church of St. Pancras was rebuilt in 1875 from the design of Mr. Crickmay, of Weymouth: it is in the Early English style and consists of chancel, nave and square embattled tower containing 4 bells. The register from the year 1673. The living is a vicarage, yearly value 280 (pounds), with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury and held by the Rev. Edwin Curwen Collard. Mrs. Saunders is the lady of the manor and the principal landowner. The soil is chalky, with stones; subsoil, chalk and flint. The chief crops are corn and turnips. The area is about 2,243 acres; rateable value 2,197 (pounds); the population in 1871 was 250.

HOLCOMB is half a mile north-west.

Parish clerk, George Lovelace

Letters from Dorchester, via Puddletown. The nearest money-order office is at Piddletrethide and telegraph office at Cerne Abbas.

National School, Miss Mary Ann Bailey, mistress

 

Collard Rev. Edwin Curwen (vicar) Edwards Thomas, miller
Commercial Elworthy Ann (Mrs.), farmer
Coombs William, bricklayer Masters Alfred, shopkeeper and shoemaker
Cox Joseph, mason Stuby Charles Brooks, farmer
Draper Richard, dairyman  

 

 

1895 Kelly’s Directory

….Pancras was rebuilt in 1875 from the design of Mr. Crickmay, of Weymouth: it is a building of stone in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave and north porch and square western embattled tower with pinnacles and containing 4 bells: there are 150 sittings. The register dates from the year 1673. The living is the rectory, gross yearly value from tithe rent-charge 300 (pounds), average 224 (pounds), net 191 (pounds), with 10 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury, and held since 1886 by the Rev. George Bull Southwell B.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge. Robert Erasmus Saunders J.P. is the lord of the manor and the principal landowner. The soil is chalky, with stones; subsoil, chalk and flint. The chief crops are corn and turnips. The area is about 2,243 acres; rateable value, 1,472 (pounds); the population in 1981 was 229.

Holcombe is half a mile north-west.

Sexton, Mrs. Elizabeth Lovelace.

Post Office – Charles Kellaway, sub-postmaster. Letters from Dorchester arrive 6:10 a.m. and via Cerne 4:30 p.m. (callers only); dispatched 9:35 a.m. and 6:45 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. The nearest money order and telegraph offices are at Piddletrenthide and Buckland Newton.

National school (mixed), built for 60 children; average attendance, 24; Mrs. Payne, mistress.

 

Saunders Robert Erasmus J.P. Gale George, dairyman
Southwell Rev. Geo. Bull B.A.  (rector) Masters Alfred, shopkeeper
Draper Lydia Ann (Mrs.), dairy Waterman Harold Robert, farmer
Elworthy William, farmer  

 

 

1935 Kelly’s Directory

ALTON PANCRAS is a parish and small village, 9 miles north from Dorchester railway stations on the Southern and Great Western railways and 2 east from Cerne, in the western division of the county, rural district and county court district of Dorchester, hundred, petty sessional division and rural deanery of Cerne, archdeaconry of Sherborne and diocese of Salisbury. The church of St. Pancras, rebuilt in 1875 from the designs of Mr. Crickmay, of Weymouth, is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, north porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles containing 4 bells: there are 150 sittings. The register dates from the year 1673. The living is a vicarage, net income 280 (pounds), with 10 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Dean and Chapter of Salisbury, and held since 1925 by the Rev. Percy Temple Philipps Knott M.A. of St. Peter’s College, Cambridge, and the rural dean of Cerne. Lt.-Col. Robert Erasmus Saunders J.P. is the lord of the manor and the principal landowner. The soil is chalky, with stones; subsoil , chalk and flint. The chief crops are oats, corn and roots. The area 2,280 acres; the population in 1931 was 140.

Holcombe is half a mile north-west.

Post & Tel. Call Office. Letters through Dorchester.

Piddletrenthide nearest M. O. & T. office.

 

PRIVATE RESIDENTS Griffin Chas. Edgar, dairyman, Holcombe
Knott Rev Percy Temple Philipps M.A. (vicar, & rural dean of Cerne), The Vicarage House Florence (Miss), shopkeeper and post office
Saunders Lt.-Col Robert Erasmus J.P.  Manor House Paull Jesse, farmer
COMMERCIALMarked thus * farm 150 acres or over *Waterman A. F., farmer, Manor Farm. Buckland Newton 34
*Cooke Alfred, farmer, Alton commn *Waterman Jn. H., farmer, Barcombe farm. Buckland Newton 34

 

Alton Pancras Page | OPC Page