Tarrant Gunville lies at the head of the Tarrant Valley. It is a quiet village stretching for just over half a mile along a single lane
with many appealing thatched cottages and an attractive church dedicated to St Mary. The church was rebuilt in the 19th century although the tower is 15th C.
and there are traces of a Norman arch. The village has no shop or Inn. The Tarrant Valley is a typical Dorset agricultural area with sheep grazing on the downs
and mixed farming in the valleys, although this practice has tended to change somewhat in modern times with the general switch to more cereal production.
A survey in 1812 revealed that the parish contained 250 acres of Ash and Oak woodland.
Please put 'OPC Tarrant Gunville' in the subject line of e-mails
[Transcriptions by Mervyn Wright except 1861 [Royston Clarke]]
Marriages 1734-1838, 1839-1871
Burials 1732-1804, 1805-1837, 1838-1880
Extracts from Hutchens
|Postal Directories||Transcription of 1851, 1855, 1859, 1889, 1895, 1911 & 1915 Directories|
|Photographs||Photographs of the village|
|Other Information||A History of the Village
|For modern location maps visit:- www.multimap.com|
Visitors to Dorset OPC
Copyright (c) 2015 Dorset OPC Project