Tarrant Gunville

Directories

1851    1855    1859    1889    1895    1911   1915

Transcribed by Mervyn Wright & Dorinda Miles

 

1851 HUNT & CO'S DIRECTORY 0F DORSET , HANTS, WILTS, SOMERSET

 TARRANT GUNVILLE a village 6 miles N.E. from Blandford. The church (St Mary), lately repaired and embellished, is a
neat building, having a square embattled tower. Living, a rectory. The parish contained, in 1841, 518 inhabitants. Post
office at William Arnold's. Letters come at 7.30 a.m. and are despatched at 6.15 p.m.

 

Watts Rev. John, (rector)

Ames , Frampton, baker, &cc

Ames , Humphrey, tailor

Arnold, William, baker & grocer

Bungay, William, Boot & Shoe mkr.

Burge, George, ‘Bugle Horn'

Carter, George, saddler

Dibben, Richard, farmer

Fanner, James, beer retailer

Harding, Mrs. Boot ans shoe maker

Hill, Harry, farmer

Prince, George, beer retailer

Ridout, Ephraim, baker and grocer

Spinney, Thomas, blacksmith

Wareham , Joseph, farmer

 

1855 Post Office Directory

TARRANT GUNVILLE a parish in the Hundred of Cranborne, 6 miles north-north-east from Blandford. Contained in 1851 478
habitants and 3.425 acres. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury, valued at 448, and
in the patronage of University College, Oxford; the Rev. John Watts, M.A., prebendary of Salisbury, is the incumbent. The church
of St. Mary built in 1503, is a handsome structure, with a square embattled tower, crowned with pinnacles, and has been recently considerably enlarged and beautified. James JohnFarquharson, Esq., is the lord of the manor.

Stubhampton, Granville and Eastbury are tithings; Westbury, a farm. Cleave is half a mile south west; Bushy Stool, 2 miles north; Hooks Wood, 3 miles north-east.

Watts Rev. John, M.A.

TRADERS

Ames, Frampton, beer retlr. & shopkpr

Ames, Humphrey, tailor

Arnold, John, baker & shopkeeper

Carter, Geo., saddler & harness maker

Cross, James, ‘Bugle Horn’ & cooper

Dibben, Richard, farmer

Dick, William, farm bailiff

Fanner, Frederick, carrier

Farmer, Sophia (Mrs), beer retailer

Hill, Henry R, farmer

Prince, George, beer retailer

Ridout, Ephraim, shopkeeper

Spinney, Thomas, blacksmith

Wareham, Joseph, farmer

POST OFFICE – John Arnold, receiver, Tarrant Gunville.

Letters arrive from Blandford, 9.0a.m.; despatched 5.0p.m.

The nearest money order office is at Blandford

CARRIER TO BLANDFORD – Frederick Fanner, Saturday & occasionally.

 

1859 Post Office Directory

Tarrant Gunville in the Blandford Union and county court district, in the diocese of Salisbury, archdeaconry of Dorset, and deanery of Pimperne, takes its name from the river Tarrant.

Tarrant Gunville, a parish in the Hundred of Cranborne, 6 miles north-north-east from Blandford, contained, in 1851, 478 inhabitants, and 3,425 acres. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury, valued at 448,and in the patronage of University College, Oxford; the Rev. John Watts, M.A., prebendary of Salisbury, is the incumbent. The church of St Mary, built in 1503,is a handsome structure, with a square embattled tower, crowned with pinnacles, and has been recently considerably enlarged and beautified. James John Farquharson, Esq., is the lord of the manor.

Watts Rev. John M.A.

COMMERCIAL

AMES Frampton, beer retailer & shopkeeper

AMES Humphrey, tailor

ARNOLD John, baker & shopkeeper

BLAKE Ann (Mrs) Bugle Horn

CARTER George, saddler & harness maker

DIBBEN Richard, farmer

DICK William, farm bailiff

FANNER Frederick, carrier

FANNER Mary (Miss), day school

FARMER Sophia (Mrs), beer retailer

HARDING James, carrier

HILL Henry Roger, farmer

MAIDMENT William, day school

PRINCE George, beer retailer

RIDOUT Ephraim, shopkeeper

SPINNEY Thomas, blacksmith

WAREHAM Joseph, farmer

Post Office – John ARNOLD, receiver.

Letters arrive from Blandford, 8.15 a.m.; dispatched 5 p.m.

The nearest money order office is at Blandford

Carriers to Blandford – Frederick FANNER & James HARDING, Saturday & occasionally.

 

 

Kelly’s 1889 Directory of Dorsetshire

Tarrant Gunville is a parish, 6 miles north-east from Blandford, in the Northern division of the county, hundred of Cranborne, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Blandford, rural deanery of Pimperne Blandford portion, archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury. The church of St Mary is a handsome structure of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of five bays, aisles, south porch and a square western embattled tower, surmounted by pinnacles, containing 3 bells: it was rebuilt in 1845, with the exception of the tower: the floor of the chancel was repaved with encaustic tiles in 1885: there are 370 sittings, 288 being free. The register dates from the year 1719. The living is a rectory, tithes commuted for a rent charge of 490, with residence and glebe of about 50 acres, in the gift of University College, Oxford and held since 1889 by the Rev. William Henry Hitchcock M.A, of that college. Eastbury House, of which but one wing now remains, was erected 1724-38 at the cost of 140,000; it is the seat of Henry Richard Farquharson esq M.P. who is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The Manor House, adjoining the church, is a substantial residence, recently restored by the owner, Henry R Farquharson esq. M.P. and at present occupied by Francis Hughes-Gibb esq. The soil is light chalky loam; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are wheat and barley. The area is 3,431 acres; rateable value 2,900; the population in 1881 was 348.

Stubhampton, half a mile north from Tarrant Gunville, and Eastbury, are tythings.

Parish Clerk, Frederick FANNER

Post & M.O.O.S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office. – George SIMS, sub-postmaster.

Letters arrive from Blandford, 8.15 a.m. & 2.25 p.m.; dispatched at 10.10a.m. & 5.10 p.m.

The nearest telegraph office is at Blandford

Parish School (mixed), built in 1874, for 70 children; average attendance, 45; Miss Rose BUCKLAND, mistress.

Carrier to Blandford – Frederick RIDOUT, saturdays & occasionally.

CARTER Mrs

FARQUHARSON Henry Richard M.P. Eastbury home; & Boodle’s, Arthur’s, Kennel & St.Stephen’s clubs, Lndn.sw

FOWLER Joseph Gustavus

HUGHES-GIBB Francis (barrister of the Inner Temple & J.P. for Cardigan), Manor house.

 

Commercial

ADAMS Hy. Dairyman. Eastbury dairy farm

ANSTY Aaron, beer retailer

ARNOLD William, farm bailiff to Henry Richard Farquharson esq

CARTER William, farmer, Glebe farm

DOWNE George, Bugle Horn P.H.

DUNN Benjamin, farmer, Dungrove

FANNER Henry, land steward to Henry Richard Farquharson esq

FOURACRE Richard, farm bailiff to Lord Wolverton

FOWLER Jsph.Gustavus, farmer & landowner

HILL Charles Roger, farmer

HUTCHINGS George, farmer

LANE George, jun. Head gamekeeper to Henry Richard Farquharson esq

LANE William, carpenter

MITCHELL Charles, farmer

MORGAN Chas. Farmer Bussey Stool farm

RIDOUT Frederick, carrier

SAMPSON Martin, blacksmith

SHADDOCK George, farm bailiff to Joseph G Fowler, esq.

SIMS George, shopkeeper, Post Office.

 

 

Kelly’s 1895 Directory of Dorsetshire

Tarrant Gunville is a parish, 6 miles north-east from Blandford station on the Midland and South-Western joint railway, in the Northern division of the county, hundred of Cranborne, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Blandford, rural deanery of Pimperne (Blandford portion), archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury. The church of St Mary is a structure of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of five bays, aisles, south porch and a square western embattled tower, surmounted by pinnacles, containing 3 bells: it was rebuilt in 1845, with the exception of the tower: in 1885 the floor of the chancel was repaved with encaustic tiles: in 1890 the chancel was re-arranged and an organ added: there are 370 sittings, 288 being free. The register dates from the year 1719. The living is a rectory, tithes commuted for a rent-charge of 490, average 367, net income 338, with residence and about 2 acres of glebe, in the gift of University College, Oxford and held since 1889 by the Rev. William Henry Hitchcock M.A, of that college. Eastbury House, of which but one wing now remains, was erected by Lord Melcombe, from designs by Sir J. Vanbrugh 1724-38 at the cost of 140,000; it is the seat of Mrs Farquharson.  The Manor House, adjoining the church, is a substantial residence, restored by the late owner, H R Farquharson esq. M.P. and at present the residence of Francis Hughes-Gibb esq.J.P. The trustees of the late H R Farquharson esq. M.P are lords of the manor and principal landowners. The soil is light chalky loam; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are oats and barley. The area is 3,431 acres; rateable value 2,643; the population in 1891 was 369.

Stubhampton, half a mile north from Tarrant Gunville, and Eastbury, are tithings.

Sexton, George WALTERS

 

Private Residents

FARQUHARSON Mrs. Eastbury House

HITCHCOCK Rev. William Henry M.A., Rectory

HUGHES-GIBB Francis (barrister of the Inner Temple & J.P. for Dorset & Cardigan), Manor house; & Reform club, London SW

Commercial

ANSTY Aaron, beer retlr. Stubhampton

BISHOP George, farmer.

BRYANT Edwin, head gardener to Fras. Hughes-Gibb esq

BUGG Chas., farmer, Marlborough Farm & at Manor farm, Tarrant Hinton

CARTER Wm. dairy farmer, Stubhampton

CHAPPLE Frederick Henry, dairyman to Mrs Farquharson

DOWNE George, Bugle Horn P.H.

DUNN Benjamin, farmer, Dungrove

EVANS John B. head gamekeeper to Francis. Hughes-Gibb esq J.P.

FANNER Henry, land steward to Mrs. Farquharson

FLETCHER Charles, farm bailiff to Fras. Hughes-Gibb esq. Glebe farm

GATEHOUSE Lavinia (Mrs), cowkeeper

GRAY William, farm bailiff to lord Wolverton, Harbins Park farm

GREEN Edward, boot maker

HARDING James, head gamekeeper to Mrs Farquharson

HILL Charles Roger, frmr. & landowner

HUTCHINGS George, dairy farmer

KERLEY Bennett, carrier

LANE William, carpenter & wheelwright

LLOYD Joseph, farm bailiff to Mrs Farquharson, Bussey Stool farm

RIDOUT Frederick, carrier

SAMPSON Martin, blacksmith

SIMS George, shopkeeper, Post Office.

Parish Clerk, Frederick FANNER

Post M.O. & T.O.S.B., Express Delivery & Annuity & Insurance Office. – George SIMS, postmaster.

Letters arrive from Blandford, 8.5 a.m. & 1.30 p.m.; dispatched at 10.10a.m. & 5.10 p.m.; Sundays at 11.5 a.m.

Parish School (mixed), built in 1874, for 70 children; average attendance, 45; Miss Mary A H ANSTY, mistress.

Carrier to Blandford – Frederick RIDOUT, wed & sat

 

Kelly’s 1911 Directory of Dorsetshire

Tarrant Gunville is a parish, 6 miles north-east from Blandford station on the Midland and South-Western joint railway, in the Northern division of the county, hundred of Cranborne, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Blandford, rural deanery of Pimperne (Blandford portion), archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury. The church of St Mary is a building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of five bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 3 bells: the church was rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in 1845, and renovated in 1885 and 1890: the organ was the gift of the Rev. W H Hitchcock M.A. late rector, 1889-1900: there are 370 sittings, 288 being free. The register dates from the year 1719. The living is a rectory, net income 311, with residence and about 2 acres of glebe, in the gift of University College, Oxford and held since 1905 by the Rev. John Lewis Rhys B.A. of St David’s college, Lampeter. Eastbury Park is the seat of Henry Frank Ward Farquharson esq. J.P.: the house, of which but one wing now remains, was erected by Lord Melcombe, from designs by Sir J. Vanbrugh 1724-38 at the cost of 140,000; the park comprises about 100 acres. Extensive remains of a British village exist on the east of the Long Barrow; and in a field called “Barton Hill”, the Wilts Archaeological Society unearthed in 1845 portions of a Roman temple and habitations of considerable size, extending over an area of nearly 20 acres.

The Manor House, adjoining the church, is a substantial residence, restored by the late H R Farquharson esq. M.P. and at present the residence of Francis Hughes-Gibb esq. J.P. ; it stands in grounds of 74 acres. H F W Farquharson esq. is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is light chalky loam; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are oats and wheat. The area is 3,431 acres; rateable value 2,772; the population in 1901 was 303.

Stubhampton, half a mile north from Tarrant Gunville, and Eastbury, are tithings.

Sexton, Charles GILES

Post M.O. & T. Office Mrs S RIDOUT, sub-postmistress.

Letters arrive from Blandford, 7.45 a.m. & 1 p.m.; dispatched at 10.25a.m. & 5.55 p.m.; sundays at 11.15 a.m.

Elementary School (mixed), built in 1874, for 70 children; average attendance, 32; Miss Bessie MATTHEWS, mistress.

Carrier to Blandford – William SANSOM, thurs & sat

Private Residents

CARR Cedric Kettlewell, The Kennels

FARQUHARSON Henry Frank Ward J.P. Eastbury Park

HUGHES-GIBB Francis J.P. Manor ho

RHYS Rev. John Lewis B.A. Rectory

Commercial

BELBIN Henry Geo. Bugle Horn P.H.

BUTLER John, farmer, Drove Barn farm

CLARK Henry, steward to H.F.W. Farquharson

COOPER George, estate carpenter

EVERETT George, mason

FLETCHER Charles, farm bailiff to Fras. Hughes-Gibb esq. Glebe farm

HARDIMAN Jas. farmer Bussey Stool farm

HARDING George, head gardener to H.F.W. Farquharson esq. J.P.

HARDING James, head gamekeeper to H.F.W. Farquharson esq. J.P.

HILL Brothers, farmers

MEATYARD Henry, dairy farmer

RIDOUT Henry, head gardener to Fras. Hughes-Gibb esq

RIDOUT Tom, carpenter

SAMSOM William, carrier

SIMS Emma (Mrs), shopkeeper

THORNE Edward, blacksmith

TORY Percy, farmer, Marlborough frm

WAREHAM Walter. Farmer, Dungrove

 

Kelly’s 1915 Directory of Dorsetshire

Tarrant Gunville is a parish, 6 miles north-east from Blandford station on the Midland and South-Western joint railway, in the Northern division of the county, hundred of Cranborne, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Blandford, rural deanery of Pimperne (Blandford portion), archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury. The church of St Mary is a building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of five bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 3 bells: the church was rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in 1845, the organ was the gift of the Rev. W H Hitchcock M.A. rector, 1889-1900: there are 370 sittings, 288 being free. The register dates from the year 1719. The living is a rectory, net income 311, with residence and about 2 acres of glebe, in the gift of University College, Oxford and held since 1905 by the Rev. John Lewis Rhys B.A. of St David’s college, Lampeter. Eastbury Park is the seat of Henry Frank Ward Farquharson esq. J.P.: the house, of which but one wing now remains, was erected by Lord Melcombe, from designs by Sir J. Vanbrugh 1724-38 at the cost of 140,000; the park comprises about 100 acres. Extensive remains of a British village exist on the east of the Long Barrow; and in a field called “Barton Hill”, the Wilts Archaeological Society unearthed in 1845 portions of a Roman temple and habitations of considerable size, extending over an area of nearly 20 acres.

The Manor House, adjoining the church, is a substantial residence, restored by the late H R Farquharson esq. M.P. and at present the residence of Francis Hughes-Gibb esq. J.P. ; it stands in grounds of 74 acres. H F W Farquharson esq. is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is light chalky loam; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are oats and wheat. The area is 3,469 acres; rateable value 2,856; the population in 1911 was 292.

Stubhampton, half a mile north from Tarrant Gunville, and Eastbury, are tithings.

Sexton, Charles GILES

Post M.O. & T. Office Mrs S RIDOUT, sub-postmistress.

Letters arrive from Blandford, 7.45 a.m. & 1 p.m.; dispatched at 10.25a.m. & 5.55 p.m.; sundays at 11.15 a.m.

Elementary School (mixed), built in 1874, for 70 children; Miss Lucy A. EAMES, mistress.

Carrier to Blandford – William SANSOM, thurs & sat

 

Private Residents

FARQUHARSON Henry Frank Ward J.P. Eastbury Park

HUGHES-GIBB Francis J.P. Manor ho

PHILLIPS Frank Raymond, The Kennels

RHYS Rev. John Lewis B.A. Rectory

BELBIN Henry Geo. Bugle Horn P.H.

BUTLER John, farmer, Drove Barn farm

CLARK Henry, steward to H.F.W. Farquharson

DUNFORD John, estate carpenter

EVERETT George, mason

FLETCHER Charles, farm bailiff to Fras. Hughes-Gibb esq. Glebe farm

HARDIMAN Jas. farmer Bussey Stool

HARDING Arth. Edwd., head gamekpr. to H.F.W. Farquharson esq. J.P.

HARDING George, head gardener to H.F.W. Farquharson esq. J.P.

HILL Brothers, farmers

MEADOW Robert Victor, dairy farmer

RIDOUT Tom, carpenter

SAMSOM William, carrier

SIMS Edward George, shopkeeper

THORNE Edward, blacksmith

TORY Percy, farmer, Marlborough frm

WAREHAM Walter. Farmer, Dungrove

WILSON George Francis, horse trainer

 

Tarrant Gunville Page | OPC Page