Dorset OPC

Winterborne Houghton

Dorset OPC

 Andrews

Winterborne Houghton is a small village less than a mile from Winterborne Stickland and about 5 miles west of Blandford Forum. The church of St Andrew (designed by Thomas Henry Wyatt) was rebuilt in 1862 on the site of a former 13th century church from which original materials were reused. The tower contains 3 bells all of which predate the present structure. The village takes its name from the small Winterborne Stream which rises near the village, Houghton most probably derives from the manorial affix meaning 'Hugh's Estate'.


The OPC for Winterborne Houghton is Duane Robbins

Please remember to put 'OPC Winterborne Houghton' as the subject for messages


Census Transcription of the 1841, 1851 & 1861 Census
Transcription of the 1871, 1891 & 1901 Census
Parish Registers Baptisms 1731-1880 [Bishops Transcripts]
Marriages 1731-1840 [BT/PR]
Burials 1731-1880 [Bishops Transcripts]
Photographs Photographs of Winterborne Houghton
Monumental Inscriptions St Andrew's Monumental Inscriptions index
Other Records Protestation Return 1641
Useful Links  
Maps The 1891 Ordnance Survey maps of the parish can be seen at the old-maps site, just enter 'Winterborne Houghton' under place search.
For modern location maps visit: www.multimap.com

Records held at the Dorset History Centre
[Ref PE-WHO]
 
Registers
Christenings 1559-2000. Marriages 1558-1806, 1813-1996. Burials 1558-2001.

OPC PAGE

Visitors to Dorset OPC

shopify site analytics

Privacy Policy

Copyright (c) 2017 Dorset OPC Project