Dorset OPC

Winterborne Anderson

Dorset OPC

St Michael's Church (Redundant)

Anderson is a village and civil parish in the North Dorset district of Dorset, about twelve miles by road from Poole and six from Blandford, with a population of 72 (as per the 2001 census). It forms part of the ecclesiastical parish of Winterborne Zelston with Tomson and Anderson. In the reign of Edward II (1307-1327) the village was referred to as “Vifhache” and later called “Five Ash”, a designation that lives on in the village today in the name of a cottage. Shortly after that, a document mentions Henry de Sameford as being the Rector of the Chapel of “Andreuston”.

Sometimes known as Winterborne Anderson (after the winter stream that runs just to the north of the Churchyard), it is the sixth out of eight villages on the Winterborne: Houghton, Stickland, Whitechurch, Kingston, Muston, Anderson, Tomson and Zelston.

At the time of the Domesday Book, Anderson Manor was held by William de Schohies (Stokes), then by the Turbervilles and in 1450 was taken over by the Mortons. It was the latter family who started to build the present Manor house in 1613, but sold it to John Tregonwell of Milton Abbas before finishing it. Completed in 1622, Anderson Manor is considered to be one of the best small Jacobean manor houses in the country. Built in brick and stone, it is a stately building, endowed with high gables, mullioned windows and towering chimneys.

The Court Leet was held around Martinmas (11 November) right up until about 1905. The Town Crier would go round with his bell to inform the local people when the court was to take place. After the court sitting, the Lord of the Manor would visit all his cottages to check for repairs. The house remained in the Tregonwell family until 1910 and was used as a Commando headquarters during World War II. (Two more pictures of the church are at the foot of the page)

Anderson Manor

The OPC for Winterborne Anderson is Kim Parker

All records are online but if you can't find what you need online please contact Kim putting 'Dorset-OPC' in the subject line

Census Complete census returns 1841 to 1901, 1911
Parish Registers Christenings 1602 - 1906
Marriages 1606 - 1921
Burials 1614 - 1973
Postal Directories Trade Directories for 1848, 1855, 1859 & 1915 by Dorinda Miles
Monumental Inscriptions St Andrew's Monumental Inscriptions index
Other Records Extracts from Hutchins History of Dorset by Dorinda Miles
Useful Links  
Other information Wills proved by the Prerogrative Court of Canterbury (PCC)
Wills proved by the Court of the Dean of Salisbury (CDS)
Tudor Subsidy Rolls 1523, 1543 & 1593
Maps The 1891 Ordnance Survey maps of the parish can be seen at the old-maps site, just enter 'Winterborne Anderson' under place search.
For modern location maps visit:


Visitors to Dorset OPC

shopify site analytics

Privacy Policy

Copyright (c) 2018 Dorset OPC Project