Hampreston

A large Village and rural community. In the Hundred Cranborne, Union Wimborne, Deanery of Pimperne. 4m SSE, Wimborne, 6m NE Poole. It borders Hampshire, where a small part extended into Hants, before the Border change in 20th c. Known as Ham Chamberlayne from Ailufus Le Hame, the Chamberlain. Three parcels of land awarded to him by the crown c1042. The area originally Heathland. Hamm OE, {river meadow}+personal name}. The addition Preston is from Priest Farm/Estate OE, {preost+tun } from land here belonging to Wimborne Minster. A Chapel originally to Wimborne Minster. In 1440 it became the Parish Church. It had two Estates, 1st Manor came to de Lucy of Long Crichel and Farnham, in 1316. 2nd Manor to De Hyneton.

In 1293 lands here belonged to the Abbott of Tewkesbury Abbey. The church of All Saints is of Early English construction buttressed on two sides with later additions. It has some good stained glass windows. The interior has a chancel and vestry in South aisle, Nave and Tower with five bells, chancel is of Uniform shape with Perpendicular East window. Preserved stained glass window to Greathed family. Stone corbels support the open timber roof. Font has octagonal bowl on circular stem and an earlier base. An effigy of a priest in Black gown with a ruff round neck of Miles Brownes rector D.1630. Rectory in the gift of J Guest of Canford. In 1291 a portion to Dean of Wimborne.

Stapehill Hamlet had a R.C. Seminary in 19thc. Now a small convent of Cistercian Nuns founded 1847 with a chapel consecrated in 1851. Longham Hamlet approx 1 m.SE. of Hampreston. Mr J Guest had the manor and created a charity for the poor here. It has a large bridge over the River Stour built c1740. A Wesleyan Chapel and a National School. A Mill for Flour and land adjoining. It had an independent chapel with a spire and clock, with school house adjoining. In 1801. 133 houses population 683 . The area has 4,948 Acres, of land, population 1861 1,341.

The new Online Parish Clerk (OPC) for Hampreston is Brian Longman
Please place the words 'OPC Hampreston' as your subject for e-mails (click on Brian's name above to generate a pre-addressed email)

The Dorset OPC is indebted to Jacqui Bowen formerly the OPC for Hampreston for most of the material on these pages


Census 1841 Census
1851 Census in 2 parts Part 1, Part 2
1861 Census
1871 Census
1891 Census including Canford Bottom, Ferndown, Longham and Stapehill
1901 Census in 2 parts, Part 1, Part 2
1911 Census ED02 Part 1, ED02 Part 2, ED03 Part 1, ED03 Part 2
Parish Registers The Bishop's Transcripts date from 1731
Baptisms
1707-1736
, 1737-1780, 1781-1812, 1813-1860, 1861-1880, 1881-1906
Marriages
1707-1736
, 1737-1780, 1781-1812, 1813-1830, 1831-1844, 1845-1860, 1861-1880, 1880-1921
Burials
1707-1736
, 1737-1780, 1781-1812, 1813-1860, 1861-1880, 1881-1918
Other Records A complete list of Rectors from 1306-1838
Monumental Inscriptions from the old part of the Churchyard

Photographs of Memorial Stones in All Saints Churchyard [Jan Hibberd]

Maps
The map on the left shows the approximate location of the parish

 


All photographs Anne Preston

OPC PAGE

Visitors to Dorset OPC

shopify site analytics

Privacy Policy

Copyright (c) 2017 Dorset OPC Project