Wareham is an historic market town eight miles south-west of
Poole and 17 miles south-east of Dorchester. It has been occupied
since before Roman times and the main part of the town is situated
on rising ground between the Rivers Piddle and Frome, close to where
they enter Poole Harbour.
Unfortunately the town suffered a catastrophic fire in 1762 and registers prior to this date were lost. There has been a Catholic church at Westport (St Edward the Martyr) since 1889 and at one time there were three Nonconformist Chapels; Congregational in Chapel Lane, Wesleyan in North Street and Unitarian in South Street. Brick and clay manufacturing was a principal trade for many centuries. The population of the municipal borough in 1891 was 2141 persons, and in 2009 the population had grown to 5640.
Church of St Mary, from an etching in Hutchins 'History of Dorset'
The OPC for Wareham is
1841 Holy Trinity & Lady St
Mary, St Martin Parish,
1881 Lady St Mary Parish, St Martin Parish & Holy Trinity
Workhouse Residents 1861 & 1881
Note: The parish of Holy Trinity includes Arne (up to 1894) & Stoborough.
The majority of these transcriptions have been kindly donated to the OPC Project by Mr Barry Chinchen. Note that the transcriptions include non-conformist registers as well as the Anglican Parish Registers.
Marriages 1594-1791, 1792-1841, 1842-1847 (Lady St Mary)
Burials 1731-1812 Holy Trinity & all churches 1583-1757, 1758-1781, 1782-1815, 1816-1841
Arne parish records are available on the Parish page for Arne.
Description of Wareham from Pigot's
1830 Directory, Pigot's
1842/44 Directory, Kelly's 1842
Directory, Slaters Directory
1865 Directory, Kelly's
Extract from Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
|Mayors & Clerks||
Mayors of Wareham from
Clerks & Recorders 1703-2007
|Monumental Inscriptions||Wareham United Reformed Church Monumental Inscription index [Jan Hibberd]|
|War Memorial||Photograph and list of those commemorated on the Wareham Cenotaph and details of War Graves|
|Wareham Court Leet||A short history of the Wareham Court Leet|
Wareham Residents proven at Blandford (Archdeaconry Court of
PCC Wills Index [Kim Parker]
Abraham Baker 1785-1848 [Mike Russell]
Wills of various Wareham residents not included above, Thomas Brown 1741, Frances Bythewood 1741/2, Lewis Cockram of Stoborough 1733, Mary Cockram of Worgret 1822, William Cribb 1777 and Thomas Garland of Worgate 1828 [Ros Dunning]
|17th Century Records||
Returns of 1641
Hearth Tax of 1662-1664
|People and Places|| Rev.
John Hutchins – The History
and Antiquities of the County of Dorset
Extract from Cuckoo Pounds and Singing Barrows
Loss of the Wareham and Poole Passage Boat
Chafins Charity School
Noise Abatement Notice 1839
Dorset Chronicle excerpts
The 1891 Ordnance Survey
maps of the parish can be seen at the old-maps
site, just enter 'Wareham' under place search.
For modern location maps visit:-
|Street plan of Wareham at the end of the 18th century||John Calcraft's map of Wareham. Taken from Hutchins 'History of Dorset'.|
|Links||Wareham Town Council Website|
Ruins of the church of St Martin, from Hutchins
Visitors to Dorset OPC
Copyright (c) 2017 Dorset OPC Project