Tarrant Rawston

1855     1859      1889     1895     1911     1915

 

Extract from Post Office Directory of Dorsetshire 1855

The parish is in the Blandford Union and takes its name from the river Tarrant.

Tarrant Rawston, a parish in the hundred of Pimperne, 3 miles east-by-north from Blandford, contained, in 1851, 66 inhabitants; the area in acres, 660.

The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury, value 170, and in the patronage of Sir James John Smith, Bart., who is also lord of the manor; the Rev William P Radclyffe, M A, rector.

The church of St Mary is a small edifice, without either tower or spire.

BELL John, farmer

 

Extract from Post Office Directory of Dorsetshire 1859  

The parish is in the Blandford Union and county court district, in the diocese of Salisbury, archdeaconry of Dorset, and deanery of Pimperne, and takes its name from the river Tarrant.

Tarrant Rawston, a parish in the hundred of Pimperne and in Blandford county court district, 3 miles east-by-north from Blandford, contained, in 1851, 66 inhabitants; the area in acres, 660.

The living is a discharged rectory, value 170, and in the patronage of Sir James John Smith, Bart., who is also lord of the manor; the Rev William P Radclyffe, M A, rector.

The church of St Mary is a small edifice, without either tower or spire.

FOOT Eli, farmer

 

Extract from Kelly’s Directory of Dorsetshire 1889

Tarrant Rawston is a parish, situated on the river Tarrant, 3 miles east-by-north from Blandford, in the Northern division of the county, hundred of Pimperne, Blandford petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Pimperne Blandford portion, archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury.

The church of St Mary is a small edifice of flint and stone, possessing no architectural pretensions, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts and south porch, without either tower or spire, having a bell chamber over the porch containing one bell; there are 90 sittings.

The register dates from the year 1815.

The living is a discharged rectory, value 130, in the gift of Sir William Henry Smith-Marriott Bart. And held since 1877 by the Rev James Penny M A of St John’s College, Cambridge, who is also Rector of Tarrant Rushton, where he resides. Sir William Henry Smith-Marriott Bart J P of the Down House, Blandford, is lord of the manor and principal landowner.

Soil, light loam; subsoil, chalk; chief crop, wheat. The area is 635 acres; rateable value, 620; the population in 1881 was 43.

Parish clerk and sexton, Frederick WATERMAN

Letters through Blandford, which is the nearest money order and telegraph office, arrive at 9.15am.

The children attend the school at Tarrant Rushton. 

COSSINS James, farmer, Rawston Farm

 

Extract from Kelly’s Directory of Dorsetshire 1895

Tarrant Rawston is a parish, on the river Tarrant, 3 miles east-by-north from Blandford station on the Midland and South Western Junction railway, in the Northern division of the county, hundred of Pimperne, Blandford petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Pimperne (Blandford portion), archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury.

The church of St Mary is a small edifice of flint and stone, possessing no architectural pretensions, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts and south porch, without either tower or spire, having a bell chamber over the porch containing one bell; there are 90 sittings.

The register dates from the year 1815.

The living is a discharged rectory, average tithe rent-charge 210, gross yearly, value 276, net 218, including 32 acres of glebe, in the gift of Sir W H Smith-Marriott bart. and held since 1877 by the Rev James Penny M A of St John’s College, Cambridge, who is also Rector of Tarrant Rushton, where he resides. Sir William Henry Smith-Marriott Bart J P of the Down House, Blandford, is lord of the manor and principal landowner.

Soil, light loam; subsoil, chalk; chief crop, wheat. The area is 635 acres; rateable value, 467; the population in 1891 was 49.

Parish clerk and sexton, John SIBLEY

Letters through Blandford, which is the nearest money order and telegraph office, arrive at 9.15am & 1PM.

The children attend the school at Tarrant Rushton.

  COSSINS John, farmer, Rawston Farm

JAMES Frederick, haulier & coal dealer

 

Extract from Kelly’s Directory of Dorsetshire 1911

Tarrant Rawston is a parish, on the river Tarrant, 3 miles east-by-north from Blandford station on the Midland and South Western Junction railway, in the Northern division of the county, hundred of Pimperne, Blandford petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Pimperne (Blandford portion), archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury.

The church of St Mary is a small edifice of flint and stone, possessing no architectural pretensions, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts and south porch, without either tower or spire, but having a bell chamber over the porch containing one bell; there are 90 sittings.

The register dates from the year 1815.

The living is a rectory, annexed to Tarrant Rushton, joint net yearly value 215, including 32 acres of glebe, in the gift of E G Allwright esq. And held since 1877 by the Rev James Penny M A of St John’s College, Cambridge, who resides at Tarrant Rushton. Sir William Henry Smith-Marriott Bart J P of the Down House, Blandford, is lord of the manor and principal landowner.

The soil is light loam; subsoil, chalk; the chief crop is wheat. The area is 696 acres; rateable value, 433; the population in 1901 was 44.

Parish clerk and sexton, John SIBLEY

Letters through Blandford, 3 miles distant, which is the nearest telegraph office, arrive at 9.am & 1pm. The nearest money order office is at Tarrant Keynston, I mile distant & the nearest Letter Box is at Tarrant Rushton Rectory.

The children attend the school at Tarrant Rushton.

COSSINS John, farmer, Rawston Farm

 

Extract from Kelly’s Directory of Dorsetshire 1915

Tarrant Rawston is a parish, on the river Tarrant, 3 miles east-by-north from Blandford station on the Midland and South Western Junction railway, in the Northern division of the county, hundred of Pimperne, Blandford petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Pimperne (Blandford portion), archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury.

The church of St Mary is a small edifice of flint and stone, possessing no architectural pretensions, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts and south porch, without either tower or spire, but having a bell chamber over the porch containing one bell; there are 90 sittings.

The register dates from the year 1815.

The living is a rectory, annexed to Tarrant Rushton, joint net yearly value 225, including 32 acres of glebe, in the gift of Edward George Allwright esq. And held since 1915 by the Rev Edwin Allwright M A of Trinity College, Dublin, who resides at Tarrant Rushton. Sir William Henry Smith-Marriott bart is lord of the manor and principal landowner.

The soil is light loam; subsoil, chalk; the chief crop is wheat, oats and roots; there is a little dairying and sheep farming. The area is 697 acres; rateable value, 434; the population in 1911 was 43 in the civil and 180 in the ecclesiastical parish.

Parish clerk and sexton, John SIBLEY

Letters through Blandford arrive at 9.am & 1pm. The nearest telegraph office is at Tarrant Monkton, 2 miles & the nearest money order office is at Tarrant Keynston, I mile distant; the nearest Letter Box is at Tarrant Rushton Rectory, quarter of a mile distant.

The children of this place attend the school at Tarrant Rushton.

COSSINS John, farmer, Rawston Farm

Tarrant Rawston Page      OPC  Page