Poxwell (or Pokeswell) is a hamlet and parish just over six miles north-east from Weymouth and 6 south-east from Dorchester, in the Winfrith Hundred and formerly in the Weymouth Union. The name originated from the "Pokes well" - a well dating from the time of the Roman occupation which stands on a hillside in the village.
The Manor House was built in 1613 and is typical of the Jacobean style, and had remained in the Trenchard family from 1699 until the 1970s. There was once a small church standing alongside the Manor, dedicated to St. John the Evangelist that dated to around the 12th century. The church was rebuilt in 1868 but was demolished in 1969 as it was too costly to maintain and believed to be unsafe.
In 1865 the population of the parish was 82, and consisted 887 acres of land.
Cairn Circle stands on the edge of the village, a small stone circle about 14 feet in diameter. sometimes dubbed the "mini Stonehenge".
|Census||1851 Census (inc Watercombe EP) [John Ridout]|
|Parish Registers||Monumental Inscriptions index|
|Photographs||Photographs of Poxwell|
|Maps||The 1891 Ordnance Survey maps of the parish can be seen at the old-maps site, just enter 'Osmington' under place search.|
|Records held at the Dorset History Centre
Christenings 1674/5-1968. Marriages 1675-1960. Burials 1678/9-1965.
(for the purpose of civil registration births, marriages, deaths & civil partnerships)
|1 Jul 1837-31 Mar 1997:
1 Apr 1997-30 Sep 2001: South Dorset
1 Oct 2001-17 Oct 2005: South West Dorset
Visitors to Dorset OPC
Copyright (c) 2017 Dorset OPC Project