Cattistock

Cattistock is a parish and village 9 miles north-west from Dorchester. In clockwise direction starting at the north, the adjoining parishes are Evershot, Frome St Quintin, Sydling St Nicholas, Maiden Newton, Chilfrome, Wraxall and Rampisham. The church of Saints Peter and Paul dates from the 15th century but virtually all that remains from this date is the north and south trancept.  Most of the remaining parts of the church were rebuilt in 1857 at the cost of the rector Rev. H Still. 


All photographs  Mark Chappell 2003  

The very large tower was built in 1874 as is said to be modelled on Charminster Church. The registers date from 1558. There used to be a Primitive Methodist chapel in the village. There are two hamlets in the parish, these being Chalmington and Sandhills. The National School and Post Office was in Cattistock. The parish covers an area of 3009 acres and is mainly light chalk and loam. The main crops used to be corn and pasture. The population in 1891 was 520 people.


The Online Parish Clerk (OPC) for Cattistock is Sharon Churchill

Note new address from 2 Nov 2011. Please contact Sharon by clicking on the link above



All data transcribed to date is on-site, links below


Census 1841 Census (Ann Atkinson)
1851 Census (Ann Atkinson)
1861 Census
1871 Census (Ann Atkinson)
1881 Census
1891 Census
1901 Census (Ann Atkinson)
Parish Registers
Baptisms
Marriages 1558-1812
Burials
Postal Directories
Other Records Monumental Inscriptions
Photographs More Photographs of the church & village
Maps The 1891 ordinance survey maps of the parish can be seen at the old-maps site, just enter 'Cattistock' under place search.
For modern location maps visit:- www.multimap.com

OPC PAGE

Visitors to Dorset OPC

shopify site analytics

Privacy Policy

Copyright (c) 2017 Dorset OPC Project