Maiden Newton is a parish and market
town situated on the River Frome 8 miles north-west from Dorchester. The
church of St Mary situated at the end of the parish, is an ancient stone
structure mainly in the Perpendicular style. It has a square central
embattled Norman tower with pinnacles and 6 bells one having an
inscription of the 17th century. There is also a Norman door. The church registers date from 1555.
The living includes 122 acres of glebe land and residence. There were
also Wesleyan and Congregational chapels in the parish.
At the end of the nineteenth century
there was an iron foundry and three branch banks, a cattle market on
occasional Mondays and a fair on 9th March and 8th May. The soil is gravel and the main crops during the 19th century
were wheat, barley, oats and
pasture. The area is 2854 acres.
|Census||Census for 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891 & 1901 all transcribed [Ann Atkinson]|
||The parish registers date from 1555, the
following transcriptions are available:
|Postal Directories||Extracts from Directories for 1848, 1855, 1867, 1875, 1880 & 1898|
|Photographs||Some modern and historic photographs of Maiden Newton|
|Other Records||Maiden Newton Village website [External]|
|Maps||The 1891 Ordnance Survey maps of the parish can be seen at the old-maps site, just enter 'Maiden Newton' under place search.|
|For modern location maps visit:-|
Visitors to Dorset OPC
Copyright (c) 2017 Dorset OPC Project