Yetminster Directory Entries
1859    1885     1923     1939


Post Office Directory 1859

YETMINSTER, or Yatminster, a parish in the hundred of its name, Sherborne Union and division of the county, diocese of Salisbury, archdeaconry of Dorset, and deanery of Shaftesbury, 5 ½ miles south-west from Sherborne, and south-east from Yeovil, contained, in 1851, 666 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Salisbury, value, with Chetnole, about £160; the Rev. George SOUTHWELL, B.A., is the present incumbent. The church is dedicated to St Andrew. A market and two annual fairs were formerly held here, both of which are now discontinued. There is a Free school, founded and endowed in 1699 by the Rev. Robert BOYLE, and a National school. Here is a railway station on the branch from Yeovil to Weymouth of the Great Western railway. The manor belongs to
G.D.W.DIGBY, Esq. Winterhays is 1 mile south; Holbrook, half a mile south.
CHETNOLE, a parish in Yetminster hundred, 7 miles south-west-by-south from Sherborne. The living is a chapelry annexed to the vicarage of Yetminster. The Rev. George SOUTHWELL, B.A., of Yetminster, is the incumbent. The church is dedicated to St Peter. A national school was established in 1852. Population 227, acres 734.
LEIGH, a parish, 6 ½ miles south-by-west from Sherborne. The living is a perpetual curacy, annual value £61, in the gift of the Bishop of Salisbury; the Rev George THOMPSON, M.A., of Chetnole is the incumbent. Population 440. Totnell is half a mile east.


Private Residents
BIDWELL Rev. George SHELFORD [curate]
NOAKE Richard, esq. Caswell
SOUTHWELL Rev George, B.A. Vicarage

ANDREWS George, farmer & maltster, Hamlet
ANDREWS James, farmer, Hamlet
ANDREWS Richard, saddler
ANDREWS William, White Hart
ARNOLD Charles, shoemaker
BARNSWELL Mrs, plumber & glazier
BARTLETT Jesse, harness maker
BISHOP Charles, tailor
BISHOP John, smith
BISHOP Richard, tailor
BRADLEY Michael, carpenter
BRAKE Geo. & John, farmers, Manor farm
BUGLER Charles, thatcher
CARD John, shopkeeper
COLLINS Henry, farmer, Winterhays
COX Thomas, dairyman, Hamlet
CROCKER Richard, farmer
DICKER David, basket maker
DICKER William, basket maker
EDMUNDS George, Royal Oak
FARR John, cooper
GERRARD Charles, stonemason
HALLETT Samuel, shoemaker
HAN George, dairyman
HAYWARD Thomas, draper & grocer
HEARN William, carpenter
HOLLOWAY Samuel, miller
JEFFORD John, plasterer
JEFFORD William, plasterer
JEFFREY Samuel, farmer, Glebe farm
KING George, Sussex hotel
LANGDON James, master of Free school
LANGDON Mary (Mrs), shopkeeper
LOVELESS William, cooper
LUCCAS James, farmer
MITCHELL George, beer retailer
READ James, butcher
READ Richard, tailor
REED John, baker
RING John, carpenter
RING William, carpenter
SAMPSON Benjamin, farmer
SAMPSON Daniel, farmer
SAMPSON David, farmer
SHOREY John, beer retailer
SLADE Samuel, dairyman
STEVENS John, rake and crib maker
STILL John, station master
TREVATT John, dairyman, Hamlet
TREW Henry James, agent for Job BRADFORD & Sons, coal, corn and timber merchants
WILLIAMS Edward, surgeon
WOOLMANTON Stephen, farmer


Private Residents
LILLY Misses
PERKINS Charles, esq

ANDREWS Elisha, draper and grocer
BANGER William, shoemaker
BARTLETT James, dairyman
BINGHAM William, farmer
BIRD William, farmer
BULLOCK Elias, grocer
BULLOCK Levi, beer retailer
CHILDS James, smith
CONWAY William, farmer
FUDGE Elizabeth, dressmaker
GODWIN John, registrar of births & deaths for Yetminster district
JEANS James, shoemaker & parish clerk
JEFFERY John, farmer
MANLEY William, miller
NEAL John, carpenter
PITTMAN Alfred, tailor
PRIDDLE Alfred, New inn
SIMS Levi, baker
SMITH Josiah, farmer


Private Residents
FFOOKS Thomas, esq
HOUNSEL Mr. Emanuel
THOMPSON Rev. George

ANDREWS William, butcher
BEER Adam, farmer
BEER Warren, farmer
BEWSEY Charles, farmer
BEWSEY George, farmer
BIRD George, farmer
BIRD William, farmer
BRAKE Edward, farmer
CAINS Thomas, beer retailer
CHIPP James, farmer
COOK John, farmer
CROCKER William, farmer
DAVIS Stephen, farmer
DOWN Job, farmer
FERGUSON David, farmer
FIFETT James, farmer
GRAY Jonathan, farmer
HARRIS Joseph, carpenter
HARRIS William, carpenter
HUNT Daniel, shopkeeper
HUTCHINGS John, smith
JAMES Samuel, farmer
JEFFERY Esau, King’s Arms
KING David, shoemaker
KING William, farmer
LANE Elijah, carpenter
LOVELESS William, parish clerk
MILES William, farmer, Drummers
READ John, thatcher
READ Lewis, farmer
ROGERS Thomas, shoemaker
SHERRY James, farmer
SHORTO Jacob, farmer
SMITH Josiah, farmer
VIGARS George, butcher

POST OFFICE – Mrs Mary LANGDON, receiver, Yetminster. Letters arrive by messenger from Sherborne at 11 am & dispatched at 3pm.
Chetnole – James JEANS, receiver. Letters arrive by messenger from Sherborne at 12 noon; dispatched 1.30pm. The nearest money order office is at Sherborne.


Kelly’s Directory 1885

YETMINSTER (or Yatminster), is a parish with a station on the branch of the Great Western railway from Yeovil to Weymouth, in the hundred of its name, Western division of the county, Sherborne union and petty sessional division, county court district of Yeovil, rural deanery of Shaftesbury third portion, archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury, 5 ½ miles south-west from Sherborne, 7 south-east from Yeovil, and 145 ½ from London. The church of St Andrew is an ancient stone building in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of  chancel, nave, aisles and square embattled tower with pinnacles, containing 5 bells and a clock with chimes, playing the air of “God Save the Queen”, at 3, 6, 9 and 12. The register dates from the year 1683. The living is a discharged vicarage, with Chetnole annexed, joint yearly value about £439, in the gift of the Bishop of Salisbury and held since 1884 by the Rev. Robert Scott MCDOWALL M.A. of Lincoln College, Oxford. There is a Wesleyan chapel with Sunday school attached. There are charities amounting to about £53 annually, left by various donors, which are distributed in clothing. A Temperance Hall was opened in 1865. The manor belongs to John D. Wingfield DIGBY esq. The principal landowners are the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The soil is clay; subsoil, rock and gravel. The land is chiefly pasture, with some corn. The area – Yetminster, 1,546; Chetnole, 877 acres; rateable value, £3,475, and contained 1,357 inhabitants in 1881; and of Yetminster only 711.
Chetnole will be found under a separate heading. [Not transcribed here.]
WINTERHAYS, 1 mile south, is a hamlet.
Parish Clerk, William DICKER
Post & Money Order Office and Savings Bank – James PITTMAN, receiver. Letters arrive by messenger from Sherborne at 8.55am & are dispatched at 4.50pm.
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1883; T. HAYWARD, chairman and clerk to the board; Thomas WILKINS, of Folke, near Sherborne, attendance officer.
Board (mixed), for 120 children; average attendance, 60; Miss Ellen GILBERT, mistress
Endowed, with residence for master, founded & endowed in 1699 by the Right Hon. Robert BOYLE, for 60 boys; average attendance, 40; the endowment amounts to £75 yearly; John William CAUSIER, master.
County Police Station, Charles CUFF, constable
Railway Station, William CHICK, station master

Private Residents
BATTEN Herbert Carey
COOPER John Creemer
MCDOWALL Rev. Robert Scott M.A. [vicar & surrogate], Vicarage
RING David
RYALL Thomas

ANDREWS Hugh, farmer
ANDREWS John, farmer
ARNOLD James, shoemaker
BISHOP Charles, Railway inn, & tailor
BISHOP John, smith
BRADLEY Michael, carpenter
BRADFORD & Sons, general merchants; & at Bridport
BRAKE Abraham, grocer
BRAKE George, farmer, Manor farm
BRAKE John, farmer
BRUNT Mark, farmer
CHICK William, station master
COLLINS Deborah (Mrs), grocer
COLLINS William, farmer, Winterhays
DICKER William, basket maker
DODDRELL Charles, plumber
FORD Samuel, farmer
GUPPY Joseph, thatcher
HALLETT Samuel, shoe maker
HANSFORD William, farmer
HAYWARD Theophilus, draper & grocer
HAYWARD Thomas, farmer
HOLLOWAY Robert, farmer
JEFFERYS Elizabeth (Mrs), dress maker
JEFFORD William, plasterer
JERRARD William, stone mason
JOLLIFFE Arthur, dairyman
MITCHELL Hannah (Mrs), beer retailer
MOREY Joseph, White Hart P.H.
PITTMAN James, boot maker, & post office
RING John, carpenter
RYAL Albert, baker
SAMPSON Daniel Stone, farmer
SHOREY Victoria (Mrs), Sussex inn
STEVENS & Son, coopers
SWAFFIELD Edith (Mrs), farmer
TRUEBRIDGE Alfred H., agent to BRADFORD & Sons
TULK Elias, saddler
WHITTLE Abel, miller (water)
WILKINS Thomas, relieving & vaccination officer, Southern district, Sherborne union


Kelly’s Directory 1923

Some information as in  previous directories.
…. embattled western tower, with pinnacles containing 5 bells, restored in 1923 at a cost of £150, and a clock with chimes, playing the air of “God Save the King”, at 3, 6, 9 and 12: the church was consecrated on the 12th August, 1312, and eight of the original consecration cross stones still remain on the exterior of the building: the nave, tower and chancel were restored in 1890, and the bells rehung: the restoration of the church was completed in 1907, when it was reseated in Austrian oak, a new oak door placed in the north porch and a new oak screen erected across the tower arch: a new organ was added in 1908: a fine pulpit was erected in 1921 at a cost of £150, as a memorial to the men connected with the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: there are sittings for 170 persons. The living… yearly value £325…. held since 1912 by the Rev. Morgan John Walter MORGAN L.Th. of Hatfield Hall, Durham….A Church hall was erected close to the church in 1921 at a cost of £1,300…..A Temperance Hall was opened in 1865, in which the Upbury Prebend Lodge of Templars hole their meetings. A fair is held on April 27th. Hill House is the residence of Arthur S. WILLIAMS esq. M.A., J.P. There are three manors here belonging to Major Frederick James Bosworth Digby Wingfield DIGBY D.S.O., D.L., J.P. Edward Archdall FFOOKS esq. and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The land is owned for the most part by smallholders…. The area is 1,480 acres; rateable value £5,059; population in 1911, 620 in the civil parish and 830 in the ecclesiastical parish.
Sexton, Henry SAUNDERS
WINTERHAYS, 1 mile south, is a hamlet.
CASWELL, a hamlet, was, in 1886, by Local Government Order 19,097, transferred to Ryme Intrinsica from this parish for civil purposes.
Pots, M.O. & T. Office – Mrs B. WRIGHT, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive by mail cart from Sherborne.
Endowed, with residence for master, founded and endowed in 1699 by the Right Hon. Robert BOYLE, & remodelled in 1873 under a scheme by the Charity Commissioners, for 60 boys; the endowment now amounts to £70 yearly; Richard JERVIS, master.
Elementary (infants and girls), formerly cottages, but altered & made into a school in 1875, for 100 children; Miss F. BICK, mistress.
Railway Station, Oliver COOMBS, station master

Private residents
ANDREWS Mrs, Hamlet
CLUETT Edgar James, Rock house
FOWNES Mrs Ismay, Briar Thicket
HEWSON Vincent, Myrtle Cottage
JEANES Mrs, Church lane
JERRARD Mrs, Church lane
LUCK Rev. John, L.Th.Durh. (rector Beer Hackett)
MORGAN Rev Morgan John Walter, L.Th., (vicar), Vicarage
POWELL William Geoffrey Lambert, M.A., Graystones
RENDLE Arthur Samuel
SMITH Samuel, Ford house
STEPHENS Stanley, M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P. Lond., Treath
THOMAS Thomas Edgar (Sherborne school), Cleeve Priors
THRING Sidney, Hillside house
WILLIAMS Arthur S., M.A., F.R.G.S.,J.P., Hill house

No farms marked as 150 acres or larger

BRADFORD and Sons Lim., general merchants
BRADLEY George, carpenter
BUCKLER Frederick, farmer
BUGLER George & Charles, farmers
CHANT Samuel, smith
COBB Frederick, grocer
CORNICK Joseph, harness maker
CROFTS Albert Edwd. & Son, farmers, Deep lane
CROSS Hy. Thos., farmer, Hamlet farm
DODDRELL Charles & Son, builders
DODDRELL M.H. & W. (Misses), drapers
FRAMPTON Edith (Miss), grocer
GUPPY Albert, thatcher
GUPPY Joseph, stone mason
HELLYAR Louis, butcher
HILLIER Charles, carpenter
JESTY Misses, grocers
JESTY George, cowkeeper
JESTY Thomas, haulier
JOLLIFFE George, farmer
KIRKUP john Geo. Cheyney, teacher of music
LASHBROOK Benj. James, carriage builder
LOXTON Wm. L., dairyman, Winterhays
MASSEY Thomas, boot repairer
MILES Edwin, farmer, Lower farm
NEWMAN Charles, Railway inn
PARTRIDGE John, farmer, Manor farm
PAULLEY Henry, farmer, Springfield
ROBERTS Brothers, cycle repairers
ROSKILLY George, grocer & draper
STEPHENS Stanley, M.R.C.S.Eng., L.R.C.P.Lond., surgeon, medical officer & public vaccinator Southern district, Sherborne union, Treath
SWAIN William, White Hart P.H.
Temperance Hall (Charles DODDRELL, proprietor)
TRUEBRIDGE Edwin, assistant overseer, clerk to the Parish Council, collector and assessor of taxes, Framptons
United Dairies (Wholesale) Ltd., (Vincent HEWSON, manager)
VOWLES Ambrose Cyril, miller (water)
VOWLES Clement, baker
VOWLES John Herbert, farmer
WILLIS Wm. Hy., farmer, Upbury farm
YEATMAN Exors. Late Thomas J., farmers, Whitfield farm


Kelly’s Directory 1939

Some information as in earlier directories.
The living is a vicarage …… joint net yearly value £624 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Salisbury and the Duchy of Cornwall alternately, and held since 1939 by the Rev. Justyn Langton DOUGLAS, M.A. of Magdalene College, Cambridge …. Population in 1931, 438 in the civil parish and 800 in the ecclesiastical parish.
Conveyance – Omnibus to Yeovil, via Sherborne, on thurs. sat. & sun. & Yeovil to Thornford mon, & fri.

Private Residents
ARMOUR Lt.-Col. G.D., O.B.E.
CLUETT Mrs, Rock house
COOPER Misses, The Manse, Church lane
CROCKER Arth., Briar Thicket
DOUGLAS Rev. Justyn Langton, M.A., (vicar), Vicarage
POWELL William Geoffrey Lambert, M.A., Greystones
READ Miss May Grace, The Cottage
SHARPE Thomas William, The Cottage
SMITH Samuel, Ford house
SPENDER R.E.S., Chetwold
STEPHENS Mrs Dorothy
STONE Robert George, Priors Cleave
THRING Sidney Theodore, Gable court
TRELAWNY Comdr. C.E.D., R.D., R.N.R.(ret), Downs
WILLIAMS Arthur Scott, M.A., F.R.G.S., J.P., Hill house

Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over
BRADFORD & Sons Ltd., general merchants T.N. (telephone number) 40
BRISTOW Frank, haulage contractor T.N. 42
*BUCKLER Fredk., farmer, Cross farm
BUGLER Chas, farmer, Higher farm
BUGLER Geo. Brake, farmer, Holm farm
CHANT Samuel Arthur, smith
CROFTS Albert Edwd. & Son, farmers, Deep lane
CURTIS Ernest Jn., carpenter
DODDRELL M.D. & W.(Misses), drapers
DODDRELL Wm. Ewart, decorator
FOOT Fredk. Albt., painter, Church lane
GROVES Frederick, farmer, Mill farm
GUPPY J. & Sons, stone masons
HELLYAR Louis, farmer
HILLIER Chas. & Son, carpenters
HIRD Jsph. Marshall, newsagent
JESTY Annie (Miss), shopkeeper
JESTY Bertram Harcourt, wheelwright
JOLLIFFE Regnld. Tom, dairy farmer
JOLLIFFE Walter, farmer, The Folly, Thornford road
KEECH W., farmer
KING Regnld. Harold, farmer, Petties farm
LASHBROOK Benj. Jas., farmer
MCKELLAR Jean D., M.B., B.S. Dunelm, physcn. & surgn. (surgery) T.N. 22
MILES Edwin Josiah, farmer, Lower farm
NEWMAN Clara (Miss), Railway inn
PARTRIDGE Dick, farmer, Winterhays
PARTRIDGE Frank, farmer, Manor farm
PARTRIDGE Jack, poultry farmer
PAULLEY Horace, farmer, Springfield
ROBERTS F. & T., motor engineers, T.N.39
STEVENS Ernest Victor, grocer
Temperance Hall (Wm. Ewart DODDRELL, propr.)
TRUEBRIDGE Frances Ethel (Mrs), clerk to the Parish Council, T.N. 88
United Dairies (Wholesale) Ltd, T.N. 27
VOWLES Herbert Clement, baker
VOWLES Jn. Herbt., farmer, Petties farm.
White Hart P.H. (Arth. Geo. WYATT)
WILLIS Geo. Septimus, butcher, Sunnyside, T.N. 72
*WILLIS Wm. Hy., farmer, Upbury farm
Yetminster 1st Co. of Girl Guides (Mrs Audrey POWELL, guide)


Yetminster Page     OPC Page