Tarrant Keyneston

Trade Directories

1855   1859   1889   1895   1911   1917
 

Extract from Post Office Directory of Dorset 1855

Tarrant Keynston, a parish in the Hundred of Pimperne, 3 miles south-east-by-east from Blandford, 5 north-west from Wimborne, and 120 from London, contained in 1851, 321 inhabitants, and 1,962 acres.

The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury, valued at 394 and in the patronage of the incumbent, the Rev John Austen M.A. The church of All Saints has recently been rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, and stands on the western bank of the small river Tarrant, which falls into the Stour on the northern side of the parish.

Sir John James SMITH, Bart., is lord of the manor.

Buzbury is a large double camp to the north. Near it are three barrows.

GENTRY
AUSTEN Rev Henry M.A.
AUSTEN Rev John M.A.
DUNGEY Mrs Elizabeth
STUART Douglas Esq

TRADERS
ANSTY Charles, bricklayer
BARNETT James, shoemaker
DUNGEY William, farmer
FORD James, farmer
GOOBY Charles, butcher
GOOBY James, carrier
GOOBY Thomas, shopkeeper
HATCHER William, ‘True Lovers Knot’
RANDALL Edwin, miller & farmer
PIKE Francis Haskoll, carpenter, wheelwright & blacksmith
RIMAND Wm. beer retailer & blacksmith

Parish School, Mrs Susan COLE & Miss Elizabeth PIKE, mistresses

 

 

Extract from Post Office Directory of Dorset 1859

Tarrant Keynston, a parish in the Hundred of Pimperne, 3 miles south-east-by-east from Blandford, 5 north-west from Wimborne, and 120 from London, contained in 1851, 321 inhabitants, and 1,962 acres.

The living is a rectory, valued at 394, with residence, and in the patronage of the Rev John Austen M.A.; the Rev Henry Austen is the incumbent.

The church of All Saints has recently been rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, and stands on the western bank of the small river Tarrant, which falls into the Stour on the northern side of the parish.

Sir John James SMITH, Bart., is lord of the manor.

Buzbury is a large double camp to the north. Near it are three barrows.

AUSTEN Rev Henry M.A.
AUSTEN Rev John M.A.
DUNGEY Mrs Elizabeth
HUNTLEY Henry esq, Keynstone lodge

COMMERCIAL
ANSTY Charles, bricklayer
BARNETT James, shoemaker
DUNGEY William, farmer
FORD James, farmer
GOOBY Charles, butcher
GOOBY James, carrier
GOOBY Thomas, shopkeeper
HATCHER William, ‘True Lovers Knot’
RANDALL Edwin, miller & farmer
PIKE Elizabeth (Miss), mistress of parish school
PIKE Francis Haskoll, carpenter, wheelwright & blacksmith
RIMAND Wm. beer retailer & blacksmith

Parish School, Miss Elizabeth PIKE, mistress

 

 

Extract from Kelly’s Directory of Dorset 1889

Tarrant Keynston, is a parish, 3 miles south-east-by-east from Blandford, 5 north-west from Wimborne, and 2 north-by-east from Spetisbury station on the Somerset and Dorset railway, in the Northern division of the county, hundred of Pimperne, Blandford petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Pimperne Blandford portion, archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury: it is on the western bank of the small river Tarrant, which falls into the Stour south of the parish.

The church of All Saints was rebuilt in 1853, with the exception of the tower: it is of flint and stone in the Perpendicular style, and has chancel, nave, north aisle of three bays, with octagonal piers, south porch and embattled western tower containing one bell: there are also two coats of arms, of stone, of the Highly family of Upton, found under one of the church pews, a handsome stained window, and in the chancel a brass memorial tablet to a former rector: there are about 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1737.

The living is a rectory, gross yearly value from tithe rent-charge 394, including 56 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of and held since 1877 by the Rev Edmund Dowland M.A. of St John’s College, Cambridge, who is also incumbent of Tarrant Crawford.

In the village are the remains of an old cross. Sir William Hy SMITH-MARRIOT bart J.P. of The Down House, Blandford is lord of the manor and the principal landowner.

Soil, light loam: subsoil, chalk. Crops, wheat, barley and oats. The area is 1,018 acres; rateable value 1,591; the population in 1881 was 272.

Buzbury is a large double camp to the north. Near it are three barrows.

Sexton, Henry SAVORY

Post Office, Mrs Mary Ann BARNETT, sub-postmistress.Letters through Blandford arrive 7.20am & 2.20pm: dispatched at 2.25 & 5.15pm. Spetisbury is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

Parish School (mixed), built in 1853, with house for mistress, for 60 children; average attendance, 30; Miss S J Salmon, mistress.

DOWLAND Rev. Edmund M.A. Rectory
TODD Lt-Col Fdk Wm, Keynston lodge
WIGHTMAN John, Sunnyside
BARNETT Mry Ann (Mrs), butcher. Post office
GALPIN George, farmer
GOOBY Edward, cowkeeper
LANE Sophia (Mrs), True Lover’s Knot P.H.
MARTIN Henry, grocer & farmer
MOWLAN Job, shopkeeper
PIKE George, carpenter, wheelwright, undertaker & blacksmith
STRANGE Walter John, miller (water) farmer & corn mer. Keynston mills

 

 

Extract from Kelly’s Directory of Dorset 1895

Tarrant Keynston, is a parish, 2 miles north-by-east from Spetisbury station on the Somerset and Dorset (Midland and South Western Junction) railway, 3 miles south-east-by-east from Blandford and 5 north-west from Wimborne, in the Northern division of the county, hundred of Pimperne, Blandford petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Pimperne (Blandford portion), archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury: it is on the western bank of the small river Tarrant, which falls into the Stour south of the parish.

The church of All Saints, rebuilt in 1853, with the exception of the tower is of flint and stone in the Perpendicular style, and has chancel, nave, north aisle of three bays, with octagonal piers, south porch and embattled western tower containing one bell: there are also two coats of arms, of stone, of the Highly family of Upton, found under one of the church pews, a stained window, and in the chancel a brass memorial tablet to a former rector: there are about 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1737.

The living is a rectory, gross yearly value from tithe rent-charge 395, average 295, net income 320, including 53 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of Arthur Mills esq of Efford Donn, Bude and held since 1891 by Rev Edward Highton M.A. of St Catherine’s College, Cambridge, who is also incumbent of Tarrant Crawford. The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel here, in which divine service is held once on Sundays.

Sir William Henry SMITH-MARRIOT bart J.P. of The Down House, Blandford is lord of the manor and the principal landowner.

Soil, light loam: subsoil, chalk. Crops, wheat, barley and oats. The area is 1,018 acres; rateable value 1,502; the population in 1891 was 260.

Buzbury is a large double camp to the north. Near it are three barrows.

Sexton, Frederick MILLER

Post Office, Mrs Mary Ann BARNETT, sub-postmistress.

Letters through Blandford arrive 8am & 1.20pm: dispatched at 1.25 & 5.15pm. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. Spetisbury is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

Parish School (mixed), built in 1853, with house for mistress, for 60 children; average attendance, 30

HIGHTON Rev. Edward M.A. Rectory
LLEWHELLIN George William, Brookfield
TODD Lt-Col Fdk Wm, Keynston lodge

COMMERCIAL
BALCH Hannah (Mrs) dairy, Lop Hill
BARNETT Mry Ann (Mrs), butcher. Post office
BUGG Frederick John, farmer
GOOBEY Edward, cowkeeper, Sunnyside
MARTIN Henry, grocer & farmer
MEATYARD William Henry, dairyman
MOWLAN Job, shopkeeper
PIKE George, carpenter, wheelwright, undertaker & blacksmith
STRANGE Walter John, miller (water) farmer & corn mer. Keynston mills
TRICE James, True Lover’s Knot P.H.

 

Extract from Kelly’s Directory of Dorset 1911

Tarrant Keynston, is a parish, 2 miles north-by-east from Spetisbury station on the Somerset and Dorset (Midland and South Western Junction) railway, 3 miles south-east-by-east from Blandford and 5 north-west from Wimborne, in the Northern division of the county, hundred of Pimperne, Blandford petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Pimperne (Blandford portion), archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury: it is on the western bank of the small river Tarrant, which falls into the Stour south of the parish.

The church of All Saints, rebuilt in 1853, with the exception of the tower is of flint and stone in the Perpendicular style, and has chancel, nave, north aisle of three bays, with octagonal piers, south porch and embattled western tower containing one bell: two coats of arms, carved in stone, of the Highly family of Upton, were found under one of the pews, in the chancel is a brass memorial to a former rector; a memorial window was inserted in 1897 by D’arcy Todd esq to the late Col. Tod and his wife: there are about 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1737.

The living is a rectory, net income 260, including 56 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Rev Barton R V Mills M A of Cranleigh Gardens, London SW and Major D Mills, and held since 1904 by the Rev Phillip Bernard Wingate M A of Worcester College, Oxford, who is also perpetual curate of Tarrant Crawford. The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel here.

Sir William Henry SMITH-MARRIOT bart J.P. of The Down House, Blandford is lord of the manor and the principal landowner.

The soil is light loam: subsoil, chalk. Crops, wheat, barley and oats. The area is 1,336 acres of land and 12 of water; rateable value 1,337; the population in 1901 was 212.

Buzbury is a large double camp to the north. Near it are three barrows.

Sexton, Frank MARTIN

Post & M O Office, MISS Alice H MARTIN, sub-postmistress.Letters through Blandford arrive 7.35am & 1.pm: dispatched at 12.55 & 5.20pm. Spetisbury, 3 miles distant, is the nearest telegraph office.Wall letter box, Rectory, cleared at 1.15 & 5.15pm; Sundays 7.10am

Elementary School (mixed), built in 1853, with house for mistress, for 60 children; average attendance, 36.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS
HALL Mrs, Keynston lodge
LLEWHELLIN Baroness Blanche, Brookfield
WINGATE Rev. Phillip Bernard M.A. Rectory

COMMERCIAL
ANDREWS Edwin Walter, dairyman
BUGG Fred John, farmer, Manor Farm
ELDON Henry J, dairyman, Lophill
MARTIN Augustin, farmer, Sunnyside
MARTIN Henry, grocer
PIKE George, wheelwright, smith & c
SHARP Wallace Henry, True Lover’s Knot P.H.
STRANGE Walter John, miller (water) Keynston mill

 

Extract from Kelly’s Directory of Dorset 1915

Tarrant Keynston, is a parish, 2 miles north-by-east from Spetisbury station on the Somerset and Dorset (Midland and South Western Junction) railway, 3 miles south-east-by-east from Blandford and 5 north-west from Wimborne, in the Northern division of the county, hundred of Pimperne, Blandford petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Pimperne (Blandford portion), archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury: it is on the western bank of the small river Tarrant, which falls into the Stour south of the parish.

The church of All Saints, rebuilt in 1853, with the exception of the tower is of flint and stone in the Perpendicular style, and has chancel, nave, north aisle of three bays, with octagonal piers, south porch and embattled western tower containing 4 bells: two coats of arms, carved in stone, of the Highly family of Upton, were found under one of the pews, in the chancel is a brass memorial to a former rector; a memorial window was inserted in 1897 by D’arcy Todd esq to the late Col. Tod and his wife: there are about 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1737.

The living is a rectory, net income 260, including 56 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Rev Barton R V Mills M A and Major D Mills, and held since 1914 by the Rev Thomas Cooper M A of Keble College, Oxford. The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel here.

Sir William Henry SMITH-MARRIOT bart J.P. is lord of the manor and the principal landowner.

The soil is light loam: subsoil, chalk. Crops, wheat, barley and oats. The area is 1,336 acres of land and 12 of water; rateable value 1,353; population in 1911, 208.

Buzbury is a large Roman camp to the north. Near it are three barrows.

Sexton, Frank MARTIN

Post & M O Office, MISS Alice H MARTIN, sub-postmistress. Letters through Blandford arrive 7.35am & 1.pm: dispatched at 12.55 & 5.20pm. Spetisbury, 3 miles distant, is the nearest telegraph office. Wall letter box, Rectory, cleared at 1.30 & 5.15pm; Sundays 7.10am

Elementary School (mixed), built in 1853, with house for mistress, for 40 children; Mrs M A L Evans, mistress.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS
CHAPMAN Col Herbert Alexander, Tarrant Keynston House
COOPER Rev Thomas M A Rectory
HALL Mrs, Keynston lodge
 

COMMERCIAL
ANDREWS Edwin Walter, dairyman
BUGG Fred John, farmer, Manor Farm
ELDON Henry J, dairyman, Lophill
MARTIN Alice H (Miss), grocer, Post office
MARTIN Augustin, farmer, Sunnyside
PIKE George, wheelwright, smith & c
SHARP Wallace Henry, True Lover’s Knot P.H.
STRANGE Walter John, miller (water) Keynston mill
 

TARRANT KEYNSTON PAGE          OPC HOME PAGE