Sandford Orcas is a village and parish in north
west Dorset, three miles north of Sherborne The village has a
population of 195 (as of 2001). Just to the east of the village is the
hamlet of Holway. The village lies in hill country on the Dorset/Somerset
county border, and was transferred from Somerset to Dorset only in 1896.
The parish formed part of the Hundred of Horethorne.
The parish church is dedicated to St Nicholas and stands
next to the Manor. The present building dates from the 15th century, but
there is evidence of earlier places of worhsip on the site dating from the
early 13th century. The current building consists of a 15th century south porch,
a nave of uncertain vintage, a ten foot square west tower and a north aisle
with a vestry at the western end, added during a major Victorian restoration
of 1871 by Henry Hall. The south chapel is also 15th century and is notable
for its oak ceiling with moulded beams and square panels.
1851 Census [John Ridout]
1861 Census [John Ridout]
1901 Census [Keith Searson]
|Trade & Postal Directories|
|Other Records||Parochial School Log Book [Caryl Parsons]|
Photographs and Inscriptions
from the Churchyard [Jan Hibberd]
Monumental Inscriptions Index [Jan Hibberd]
|Records held at the Dorset History Centre
Christenings 1538-1993. Marriages 1540-1983. Burials 1538-1991.
Visitors to Dorset OPC
Copyright (c) 2018 Dorset OPC Project