All photographs courtesy of Dorinda Miles © 2004
Please wait until the 18 photographs load
|The 'bourne' that flows through the village||Puddletown Forest|
|The Village Pub||West Tower|
|North Porch||Memorial and below the south porch and Athelhampton Chantry|
The wrought iron lantern and supporting arch over the
entrance gates on the north side of the churchyard is the Memorial to
those who gave their lives for their King and Country in the Great War
of 1914-1918 and bears the following inscription:
– SIT MORTUORUM PIETAS LUCERNA VIVIS”
“Let the devotion of those who died be a lantern unto the living”
The Gallery was erected in
1635, as the date carved on the front shows. It was originally designed
for the accommodation of an increased number of worshippers but has for
a long time served the purpose of a minstrel’s or musician’s
gallery. The choir still occupy the Gallery.
The church organ is a two-manual organ built by Messrs Hele
& Co of Plymouth and was erected in 1906.
There is a brass plaque on the organ which reads:
Treasured and Loving Memory of
and Choirmaster 1951-60
Balanced Swell Pedal Was Added
This Organ in 1964
By His Wife, Father and Relatives
Above: 15th century ceiling
Right. A wall mural
Just in front of the gallery, on the south side stands the
Norman Font, which is an unusual beaker shape with its adornment of a
trellis of vine leaves. For seven and a half centuries the children of
Puddletown have been baptised in this same font.
The font was sealed up by order of
the Pope Innocent III, in 1209, when he laid England under an Interdict.
|The gates to the Cemetery||Puddletown Cemetery|
Here lies an alabaster effigy of Sir William Martyn, Knight Bachelor, resting upon an altar tomb, beneath a canopy of Purbeck stone.
His will, dated 1503, gave directions that his body should be buried ‘ in the Chapel of S Mary Magdalene at Pydelton in a place prepared for that end’
|Left. A mural of the
PUDDLETOWN PAGE | OPC HOME PAGE