Osmington is a parish and village 4 miles north-east from Weymouth, and 8 south from Dorchester, in the hundred of Culliford Tree. To the east is Osmington Hill.
There is evidence of Bronze Age settlement in the area. The village's written history however dates from 940 when it is mentioned in a charter. A white horse is cut into the hillside nearby, dating from 1808, and was cut for King George III.
The church (St. Osmund), originally built in 1170 but with alterations up to the 19th century, is in the perpendicular style, with square tower and four bells.
East Ringstead, near the sea, is a hamlet, as is Upton.
Osmington Mills, a small village about a mile from Osmington, once supported a Coastguard Station.
The population in 1861 was 448, and the area of the parish was 2,307 acres. Today the population is just over 600.
The economy of the village was primarily agricultural until after the mid 20th century, but with the decline of agricultural employment in the area, the character of the village changed and it is now occupied primarily by people who work elsewhere.
|Census||1851 Census [John Ridout]|
|Parish Registers||Baptisms 1691-1813 [Kim Parker]
Marriages 1693-1837 [Kim Parker]
Burials 1672-1813 [Kim Parker]
|Links||Osmington Village Online (External Link)|
Photographs of Osmington
Photographs of Osmington Mills
|Maps||The 1891 Ordnance Survey maps of the parish can be seen at the old-maps site, just enter 'Osmington' under place search.|
|Records held at the Dorset History Centre
Christenings 1691-1873. Marriages 1693-1991. Burials 1678-1953
(for the purpose of civil registration births, marriages, deaths & civil partnerships)
|1 Jul 1837-31 Mar 1997:
1 Apr 1997-30 Sep 2001: South Dorset
1 Oct 2001-17 Oct 2005: South West Dorset
Visitors to Dorset OPC
Copyright (c) 2017 Dorset OPC Project