West Orchard

TRADE & POSTAL DIRECTORIES

1848 | 1851 | 1855 | 1859 | 1865 | 1871 | 1885 | 1889
 

1895 | 1898 | 1903 | 1907 | 1911 | 1915 | 1920 | 1923 | 1927
 

1931 | 1935 | 1939
 

All transcriptions by Sue Thornton-Grimes

1848 KELLY’S DIRECTORY OF DORSETSHIRE and

1849 POST OFFICE DIRECTORY OF DORSETSHIRE & WILTSHIRE

 

West Orchard is a chapelry in the parish of Great Fontmell, borough and Union of Shaftesbury, in the Hundred of Sixpenny Handley, archdeaconry of Dorset, diocese of Salisbury and division of Shaftesbury, from which place it is 4 miles south-west, and 5 from Sturminster Newton north-east.  The church is a small Gothic structure.  The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Fontmell Magna.  Population, in 1841, was 157; acreage 700.

National School, Mrs Ann Fifett, mistress

 

TRADERS

Farnham James, farmer                                     Jefferey John, farmer

Hunt James, farmer                                            Seymour, William, farmer

Laurence William, blacksmith                            Stokes William, dairymajn

Miles William, farmer                                          Tuffen Mrs Sarah, baker & carpenter

Jefferey Mrs Jane, farmer

 

Letters received through Shaftesbury.

.


1851 HUNT & CO’s DIRECTORY OF DORSET, HAMPSHIRE, WITSHIRE, SOMERSET & BRISTOL

 

West Orchard, a village and chapelry in the parish of Great Fontmell; it comprises 700 acres and, in 1841, had a population of 157.

 

Farnham James, farmer                                      Jeffery Jane, farmer

Hunt James, farmer                                            Jeffery John, farmer

Lawrence Philip, blacksmith                              Seymour William, farmer

            Miles William, farmer                                          Tuffin Sarah, carpenter and baker

 


 1855 POST OFFICE DIRECTORY OF DORSETSHIRE

 

West Orchard, in the borough and Union of Shaftesbury, in the Hundred of Sixpenny Handley, archdeaconry of Dorset, diocese of Salisbury, and division of Shaftesbury, from which place it is 4 miles south-west, and 5 from Sturminster Newton north-east.  The church is a small Gothic structure.  The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Fontmell Magna.  The population, in 1851, was 121; acreage, 617.

 

Letters through Shaftesbury.  The nearest money order offices are at Shaftesbury & Sturminster Newton.

 

Dowding Miss Mary

Fifett Mr James

Jeffery Mrs Jane

 

TRADERS

Farnham James, farmer                                     Lawrence Philip, smith

Fifett Ann (Mrs), mistress of National school     Miles William, farmer

Haskett Thomas, parish clerk                            Stokes William, dairyman

Hunt James, farmer                                            Tuffen Sarah (Mrs), baker & carpenter

            Jeffery John Edwin, farmer

 


1859 POST OFFICE DIRECTORY OF DORSETSHIRE

 

West Orchard, in the borough and union of Shaftesbury, hundred of Sixpenny Handley, diocese of Salisbury, archdeaconry of Dorset, and deanery and division of Shaftesbury, from which place it is 4 miles south-west and 5 from Sturminster Newton north-east.  The church is a small Gothic structure.  The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Fontmell Magna, joint annual value 440, in the gift of Mrs Salkeld, and held by the Rev. Robert Salkeld.  The population in 1851 was 121; acreage 617; the register dates from 1653.

 

Letters through Shaftesbury.  The nearest money order offices are at Shaftesbury & Sturminster Newton.

 

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

Dowding Miss Mary

Fifett Mr James

 

COMMERCIAL

Farnham James, farmer                                      Lawrence Philip, smith

Fifett Ann (Mrs), mistress of National School     Miles William, farmer

Haskett Thomas, parish clerk                             Stokes William, dairyman

Hunt James, farmer                                             Tuffin Sarah (Mrs), baker & carpenter

Jeffery John Edwin, farmer


1865  POSTAL & COMMERCIAL DIRECTORY

1865 HARROD’S DIRECTOR OF DORSET & WILTSHIRE

 

West Orchard, in the borough and union of Shaftesbury, hundred of Sixpenny Handley, and division of Shaftesbury, from which place it is 4 miles S.W., and 5 from Sturminster Newton, N.E.  The church is a Gothic edifice.  The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Fontmell Magna, joint annual value 440.  The Rev. Robert Salkeld is the incumbent.  The population in 1861 was 211; acreage, 617.

 

POSTAL REGULATIONS:- Letters through Shaftesbury.  The nearest money-order offices are at Shaftesbury and Sturminster Newton.  Post town, Shaftesbury.

 

Dowding Miss Mary

Fifett Mr James

 

COMMERCIAL

Farnham Frederick, farmer                                Miles William, farmer

Fifett Mrs Ann, mistress of National school       Roberts George, dairyman

Haskett Thomas, parish clerk                            Stokes William, dairyman

Hunt James, farmer                                            Tuffin Frederick, baker and carpenter

Jeffery John Edwin, farmer


1871  MERCER & CROCKER’S DIRECTORY OF HAMPSHIRE & DORSETSHIRE

 

West Orchard is a small village and parish near Shaftesbury, which is the nearest money order office.  The living is annexed with Fontmell Magna.  Thomas Haskett, clerk of the parish, Frederick Farnham, John Edwin Jeffery, John William Iles are farmers; Elijah Stokes, dairyman


1885  KELLY’S DIRECTORY OF WILTSHIRE, DORSETSHIRE & HAMPSHIRE

 

West Orchard Is a parish in the Northern division of the county, petty sessional division of Shaftesbury, county court district and union of Shaftesbury, hundred of Sixpenny Handley, rural deanery of Shaftsbury, fourth portion, archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury, 5 miles south-west from Shaftesbury and 3 north-east from Sturminster Newton station on the Somerset and Dorset railway.  The church, which is a Gothic structure (not dedicated), was with the exception of the chancel, rebuilt in 1878of stone; it has a chancel, nave, south porch and turret containing 2 bells; it will seat 80 people.  The registers date from the year 1653.  The living is a chapelry, annexed to the rectory and vicarage of Fontmell Magna, joint yearly value 650, with 30 acres of glebe and house, in the gift of Lord Wolverton and held since 1880 by the Rev. Henry Thomas Glyn B.A. of Christ Church, Oxford, and canon of Salisbury cathedral.  Elizabeth, Marchioness of Westminster is lady of the manor and the principal landowner.  The soil is loam and sand; subsoil, gravel and clay.  The land is primarily pasture.  The area is 617 acres; rateable value 1,368.  The population in 1881 was 113.

Parish Clerk: John Stokes

 

WALL LETTER BOX cleared at 3.45 pm weekdays only.  Letters through Shaftesbury.  The nearest money order and telegraph offices are at Shaftesbury and Sturminster Newton. 

The children attend the school at East Orchard, The Marchioness having close the school here at Christmas 1884, on account of the small attendance.

 

Farnham Frederick, farmer                                 Perritt, Joseph, dairyman

Jeffery Jane (Mrs), farmer and cowkeeper        Stokes Elijah, dairyman

Miles William John, farmer                                 Tuffin Frederick, baker & carpenter

Mockridge George, baker

 


1889 KELLY’S DIRECTORY OF DORSETSHIRE

 

West Orchard is a parish, 5 miles south-west from Shaftesbury and 3 north-east from Sturminster Newton station on the Somersert and Dorset railway, in the Northern division of the county, petty sessional division of Shaftesbury, county court district and union of Shaftesbury, hundred of Sixpenny Handley, rural deanery of Shaftesbury (Sturminster Newton portion), archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury. The church, which is a Gothic structure (dedication unknown) was, with the exception of the chancel, rebuilt in 1878; it has chancel, nave, south porch and western turret containing 2 bells; it will seat 80 people.  The register dates from the year 1653.  The living is a chapelry, annexed to the rectory and vicarage of Fontmell Magna, joint yearly value 650, with 30 acres of glebe and house, in the gift of Lord Wolverton, and held since 1880 by the Rev. Henry Thomas Glyn B.A. of Christ Church, Oxford, and canon of Salisbury Cathedral.  Elizabeth Marchioness of Westminster is lady of the manor and the principal landowner.  The soil is loam and sand; subsoil gravel and clay.  The land is principally pasture.  The area is 667 acres; rateable value 1,330; the population in 1881 was 113.

WALL LETTER BOX cleared at 3.45p.m. week days only.  Letters through Shaftesbury arrive at 9 a.m.  The nearest money order & telegraph offices are at Shaftesbury & Sturminster Newton.

The children attend the school at East Orchard, the Marchioness of Westminster having closed the school here at Christmas, 1884, on account of the small attendance.

 

Farnham Frederick, farmer                     Stokes Elijah, dairyman

Jeffery Richard, farmer                          Tuffin Frederick, carpenter

Miles William John, farmer


1895  KELLY’S DIRECTORY OF DORSETSHIRE

 

West Orchard is a parish, 3 miles north-east from Sturminster Newton station on the Midland and South Western Junction railway, and 5 south-west from Shaftesbury, in the Northern division of the county, petty sessional division of Shaftesbury, county court district and union of Shaftesbury, hundred of Sixpenny Handley, rural deanery of Shaftesbury (Sturminster Newton portion), archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury. The church, which is a Gothic structure (dedication unknown) was, with the exception of the chancel, rebuilt in 1878; it has chancel, nave, south porch and western turret containing 2 bells; it will seat 80 people.  The register dates from the year 1653.  The living is annexed to the rectory and vicarage of Fontmell Magna, average tithe rent-charge 545, joint net yearly value 450, with 30 acres of glebe, in the gift of Lord Wolverton, and held since 1893 by the Rev. Frederick Ware Glyn M.A. of Keble College, Oxford, who resides at Fontmell.  The Right Hon. Lord Stalbridge P.C. is lord of the manor and the principal landowner.  The soil is loam and sand; subsoil gravel and clay.  The land is principally pasture.  The area is 669 acres; rateable value 1,318; the population in 1891 was 115.

WALL LETTER BOX cleared at 3.45p.m. week days only.  Letters through Shaftesbury arrive at 9 a.m.  The nearest money order & telegraph offices are at Shaftesbury & Sturminster Newton.

The children attend the school at East Orchard, the Marchioness of Westminster having closed the school here at Christmas, 1884, on account of the small attendance.

 Farnham Frederick, farmer, Nash farm     Moore Susan (Mrs), shopkeeper

Jeffery Richard, farmer, Manor farm         Stokes Elijah, dairyman

Miles Wm. John, farmer, Mansfield farm   Tuffin Frederick, carpenter


1898  KELLY’S DIRECTORY OF DORSETSHIRE

 

West Orchard is a parish, 3 miles north-east from Sturminster Newton station on the Midland and South Western Junction railway, and 5 south-west from Shaftesbury, in the Northern division of the county, petty sessional division of Shaftesbury, county court district and union of Shaftesbury, hundred of Sixpenny Handley, rural deanery of Shaftesbury (Sturminster Newton portion), archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury. The church, (dedication unknown), was rebuilt, with the exception of the chancel, in 1878 and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and western turret containing 2 bells; it will seat 80 people.  The register dates from the year 1653.  The living is a chapelry annexed to the rectory and vicarage of Fontmell Magna, net yearly value 96, with 30 acres of glebe, in the gift of Lord Wolverton, and held since 1893 by the Rev. Frederick Ware Glyn M.A. of Keble College, Oxford, who resides at Fontmell.  The Right Hon. Lord Stalbridge P.C. is lord of the manor and the principal landowner.  The soil is loam and sand; subsoil gravel and clay.  The land is principally pasture.  The area is 669 acres; rateable value 1,315; the population in 1891 was 115.

Wall Lette Box cleared at 3.45p.m. week days only.  Letters through Shaftesbury arrive at 9 a.m.  The nearest money order & telegraph office is at  Sturminster Newton, distant about 3 miles.

The children attend the school at East Orchard, the Marchioness of Westminster having closed the school here at Christmas, 1884, on account of the small attendance.

 Farnham Fredk, farmer, Nash farm      Moore Susan (Mrs), shopkeeper

Jeffery Richard, farmer, Manor farm    Tuffin Frederick, carpenter

Miles Wm. John, farmer, Mansfield farm


1903  KELLY’S DIRECTORY OF DORSETSHIRE

 

West Orchard is a parish, 3 miles north-east from Sturminster Newton station on the Midland and South Western Junction railway, and 5 south-west from Shaftesbury, in the Northern division of the county, petty sessional division of Shaftesbury, county court district and union of Shaftesbury, hundred of Sixpenny Handley, rural deanery of Shaftesbury (Sturminster Newton portion), archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury. The church, (dedication unknown), was rebuilt, with the exception of the chancel, in 1878 and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing 2 bells; it will seat 80 people.  The register dates from the year 1653.  The living is a chapelry annexed to the rectory and vicarage of Fontmell Magna, net yearly value 96, with 30 acres of glebe, in the gift of Lord Wolverton, and held since 1903 by the Rev. Charles Pigott Edmonds B.A. of Trinity College, Dublin, who resides at Fontmell.  The Right Hon. Lord Stalbridge P.C. is lord of the manor and the principal landowner.  The soil is loam and sand; subsoil gravel and clay.  The land is principally pasture.  The area is 667 acres; rateable value 1,243; the population in 1901 was 87.

 

Wall Letter Box cleared at 3.45p.m. week days only.  Letters through Shaftesbury arrive at 9 a.m.  The nearest money order office is at Sturminster Newton, distant about 3 miles; the nearest telegraph office is at Manston, distant about 2 miles.

The children attend the school at East Orchard.

 

Farnham Fredk, farmer, Nash farm            Moore Susan (Mrs), shopkeeper

Miles Wm. John, farmer, Mansfield farm   Tuffin Frederick, carpenter

Miles Wilshaw, farmer, Manor farm


1907  KELLY’S DIRECTORY OF DORSETSHIRE

 

West Orchard is a parish, 3 miles north-east from Sturminster Newton station on the Midland and South Western Junction railway, and 5 south-west from Shaftesbury, in the Northern division of the county, petty sessional division of Shaftesbury, county court district and union of Shaftesbury, hundred of Sixpenny Handley, rural deanery of Shaftesbury (Sturminster Newton portion), archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury. The church, (dedication unknown), was rebuilt, with the exception of the chancel, in 1878 and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing 2 bells; it will seat 80 people.  The register dates from the year 1653.  The living is a chapelry annexed to the rectory and vicarage of Fontmell Magna, joint net yearly value 425, with 30 acres of glebe, in the gift of Lord Wolverton, and held since 1903 by the Rev. Charles Pigott Edmonds B.A. of Trinity College, Dublin, who resides at Fontmell.  The Right Hon. Lord Stalbridge P.C. is lord of the manor and the principal landowner.  The soil is loam and sand; subsoil gravel and clay.  The land is principally pasture.  The area is 667 acres; rateable value 1,238; the population in 1901 was 87.

 

Wall Letter Box cleared at 3.45p.m. week days only.  Letters through Shaftesbury arrive at 9 a.m.  The nearest money order office is at Sturminster Newton, distant about 3 miles; the nearest telegraph office is at Manston, distant about 2 miles.

The children attend the schools at East Orchard and Manston.

 

Farnham Fredk. Farmer, Nash farm                Mockridge Thomas, cowkeeper

Miles Lionel Frank, farmer, Mansfield Farn      Moore Susan (Mrs), shopkeeper

Miles William Wiltshire, farmer, Manor farm    Tuffin Jane (Mrs), cowkeeper

 


1911  KELLY’S DIRECTORY OF DORSET

 

West Orchard is a parish, 3 miles north-east from Sturminster Newton station on the Midland and South Western Junction railway, and 5 south-west from Shaftesbury, in the Northern division of the county, petty sessional division of Shaftesbury, county court district and union of Shaftesbury, hundred of Sixpenny Handley, rural deanery of Shaftesbury (Sturminster Newton portion), archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury. The church, (dedication unknown), was rebuilt, with the exception of the chancel, in 1878 and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing 2 bells; it will seat 80 people.  The register dates from the year 1653.  The living is a chapelry annexed to the rectory and vicarage of Fontmell Magna, joint net yearly value 425, with 30 acres of glebe, in the gift of Lord Wolverton, and held since 1903 by the Rev. Charles Pigott Edmonds B.A. of Trinity College, Dublin, who resides at Fontmell.  The Right Hon. Lord Stalbridge P.C. is lord of the manor and the principal landowner.  The soil is loam and sand; subsoil gravel and clay.  The land is principally pasture.  The area is 667 acres; rateable value 1,240; the population in 1901 was 87.

 

Wall Letter Box cleared at 3.45p.m. week days only.  Letters through Shaftesbury arrive at 9 a.m.  The nearest money order office is at Sturminster Newton, distant about 3 miles; the nearest telegraph office is at Manston, distant about 2 miles.

The children attend the schools at East Orchard and Manston.

 

Farnham Fredk. Farmer, Nash farm          Miles William Wiltshire, farmer, Manor Farm

Harding France (Mrs), cowkeeper             Miles Lionel Frank, farmer, Mansfield Farm

Mockridge Thomas, cowkeeper                Moore Susan (Mrs), shopkeeper


1915 KELLY’S DIRECTORY OF DORSET

 

West Orchard is a parish, 3 miles north-east from Sturminster Newton station on the Midland and South Western Junction railway, and 5 south-west from Shaftesbury, in the Northern division of the county, petty sessional division of Shaftesbury, county court district and union of Shaftesbury, hundred of Sixpenny Handley, rural deanery of Shaftesbury (Sturminster Newton portion), archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury. The church, (dedication unknown), was rebuilt, with the exception of the chancel, in 1878 and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing 2 bells; it will seat 80 people.  The register dates from the year 1653.  The living is a chapelry annexed to the rectory and vicarage of Fontmell Magna, joint net yearly value 425, with 30 acres of glebe, in the gift of Lord Wolverton, and held since 1903 by the Rev. Charles Pigott Edmonds B.A. of Trinity College, Dublin, who resides at Fontmell.  Lord Stalbridge is lord of the manor and the sole landowner.  The soil is loam and sand; subsoil gravel and clay.  The land is principally pasture.  The area is 667 acres; rateable value 1,210; the population in 1911 was 95.

 

Wall Letter Box cleared at 3.45p.m. week days only.  Letters through Shaftesbury arrive at 9 a.m.  The nearest money order office is at Sturminster Newton, distant about 3 miles; the nearest telegraph office is at Manston, distant about 2 miles.

The children attend the schools at East Orchard and Manston.

 

Coombe William, farmer, Manor farm     Mockridge Thomas, cowkeeper

Farnham Fredk. Farmer, Nash farm        Moore Susan (Mrs), shopkeeper      

Harding France (Mrs), cowkeeper          Miles Lionel Frank, farmer Mansfield farm


1920 KELLY’S DIRECTORY OF DORSETSHIRE

 

West Orchard is a parish, 3 miles north-east from Sturminster Newton station on the Midland and South Western Junction railway, and 5 south-west from Shaftesbury, in the Northern division of the county, petty sessional division of Shaftesbury, county court district and union of Shaftesbury, hundred of Sixpenny Handley, rural deanery of Sturminster Newton, archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury. The church, (dedication unknown), was rebuilt, with the exception of the chancel, in 1878 and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing 2 bells; it will seat 80 people.  The register dates from the year 1653.  The living is a chapelry annexed to the rectory and vicarage of Fontmell Magna, joint net yearly value 500, with 30 acres of glebe, in the gift of Lord Wolverton, and held since 1903 by the Rev. Charles Pigott Edmonds B.A. of Trinity College, Dublin, who resides at Fontmell.  Lord Stalbridge is lord of the manor and the sole landowner.  The soil is loam and sand; subsoil gravel and clay.  The land is principally pasture.  The area is 669 acres; rateable value 1,242; the population in 1911 was 95.

 

Wall Letter Box.  Letters through Shaftesbury.  The nearest money order office is at Sturminster Newton, about 3 miles distant; the nearest telegraph office is at Manston, about 2 miles distant.

 

The children attend the schools at East Orchard and Manston.

 

COMMERCIAL

Coombe William, farmer, Manor farm        Mitchell, Arthur, Mansfield farm

Farnham Fredk. Farmer, Nash farm     Moore Susan (Mrs), shopkeeper


1923 KELLY’S DIRECTORY OF HAMPSHIRE, WILTSHIRE,    DORSETSHIRE, ISLE OF WIGHT & CHANNEL ISLANDS

 

West Orchard is a parish, 3 miles north-east from Sturminster Newton station on the London, Midland and Scottish and Southern joint line, and 5 south-west from Shaftesbury, in the Northern division of the county, petty sessional division of Shaftesbury, county court district and union of Shaftesbury, hundred of Sixpenny Handley, rural deanery of Sturminster Newton, archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury. The church, (dedication unknown), was rebuilt, with the exception of the chancel, in 1878 and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing 2 bells; it will seat 80 people.  The register dates from the year 1653.  The living is a chapelry annexed to the rectory and vicarage of Fontmell Magna, joint net yearly value 472, with 33 acres of glebe, in the gift of Lord Wolverton, and held since 1903 by the Rev. Charles Pigott Edmonds B.A. of Trinity College, Dublin, who resides at Fontmell.  Lord Stalbridge M.C., D.L., J.P. is lord of the manor and the sole landowner.  The soil is loam and sand; subsoil gravel and clay.  The land is principally pasture.  The area is 669 acres; rateable value 1,241; the population in 1911 was 95.

 

Letters through Shaftesbury.  The nearest money order office is at Sturminster Newton, about 3 miles distant; the nearest telegraph office is at Manston, about 2 miles distant.

 

The children attend the schools at East Orchard and Manston.

 

COMMERCIAL

Goddard William, smallholder                       Mansfield George Oscar, farmer

Jesse Harold Bishop, farmer, Manor farm     Meatyard William John, farmer,                                               

Mitchell Arthur, Mansfield farm


1927  KELLY’S DIRECTORY OF DORSETSHIRE

 

West Orchard is a parish, 3 miles north-east from Sturminster Newton station on the London, Midland and Scottish and Southern joint line, and 5 south-west from Shaftesbury, in the Northern division of the county, petty sessional division of Shaftesbury, county court district and union of Shaftesbury, hundred of Sixpenny Handley, rural deanery of Sturminster Newton, archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury. The church, (dedication unknown), was rebuilt, with the exception of the chancel, in 1878 and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing 2 bells; it will seat 80 people.  The register dates from the year 1653.  The living is a chapelry annexed to the rectory and vicarage of Fontmell Magna, joint net yearly value 600, with 33 acres of glebe, in the gift of Lord Wolverton, and held since 1903 by the Rev. Charles Pigott Edmonds B.A. of Trinity College, Dublin, who resides at Fontmell.  Arthur Mitchell esq is the chief landowner.  The soil is loam and sand; subsoil gravel and clay.  The land is principally pasture.  The area is 669 acres; rateable value 1,355; population in 1921, 71

 

Letters through Shaftesbury.  The nearest money order office is at Sturminster Newton, about 3 miles distant; the nearest telegraph office is at Manston, about 2 miles distant.

 

The children attend the schools at East Orchard and Manston.

 

COMMERCIAL

Cross Albert, farmer                      Harris Seymour, farmer

Giddings Thos. Jn. farmer            Mitchell Arthur, Mansfield farm

Goddard William, smallholder


1931  KELLY’S DIRECTORY OF DORSETSHIRE

 

West Orchard is a parish, 3 miles north-east from Sturminster Newton station on the London, Midland and Scottish and Southern joint line, and 5 south-west from Shaftesbury, in the Northern division of the county, petty sessional division of Shaftesbury, county court district and rural district of Shaftesbury, hundred of Sixpenny Handley, rural deanery of Sturminster Newton, archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury. The church, (dedication unknown), was rebuilt, with the exception of the chancel, in 1878 and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing 2 bells; it will seat 80 people.  The register dates from the year 1653.  The living is a chapelry annexed to the rectory and vicarage of Fontmell Magna, joint net yearly value 600, with 33 acres of glebe, in the gift of Lord Wolverton D.L., J.P., and held since 1903 by the Rev. Charles Pigott Edmonds B.A. of Trinity College, Dublin, who resides at Fontmell.  Arthur Mitchell esq is the chief landowner.  The soil is loam and sand; subsoil gravel and clay.  The land is principally pasture.  The area is 669 acres; rateable value 1,355; population in 1921, 71

 

Letters through Shaftesbury.  The nearest M.O. office is at Sturminster Newton & nearest T office at Manston.

 

COMMERCIAL

Marked thus farm 150 acres or over

 

Chandley Albert, purveyor of                Goddard William, smallholder

Fresh farm produce.                              Rigler Wm, smallholder, Willis ho

T N Sturminster Newton 57                    Warren Rt. Newton, farm bailiff to

Corry Rt. Sharland, farmer                  Arthur Mitchell Esq. Mansfield farm

Cross Albert, farmer

 


1935 KELLY’S DIRECTORY OF DORSETSHIRE

 

West Orchard is a parish, 3 miles north-east from Sturminster Newton station on the London, Midland and Scottish and Southern joint line, and 5 south-west from Shaftesbury, in the Northern division of the county, petty sessional division of Shaftesbury, county court district and rural district of Shaftesbury, hundred of Sixpenny Handley, rural deanery of Sturminster Newton, archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury. The church, (dedication unknown), was rebuilt, with the exception of the chancel, in 1878 and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing 2 bells; it will seat 80 people.  The register dates from the year 1653.  The living is a chapelry annexed to the rectory and vicarage of Fontmell Magna, joint net yearly value 600, with 33 acres of glebe, in the gift of Lord Wolverton and held since 1903 by the Rev. Charles Pigott Edmonds B.A. of Trinity College, Dublin, rural dean of Sturminster Newton,  who resides at Fontmell.  Arthur Mitchell esq is the chief landowner.  The soil is loam and sand; subsoil gravel and clay.  The land is principally pasture.  The area is 669 acres; population in 1931, 52

 

Letters through Shaftesbury.  The nearest M.O. office is at Sturminster Newton & nearest T office at Manston.

 

COMMERCIAL

Marked thus farm 150 acres or over

 

Collington John Eric, poultry      Goddard William, farmer

Farmer, breeder of pedigree      Mitchell Arth. H. farmer, Manor farm

R.I.R’s & White Wyandottes,       Pennels Arth. Hy, smallholder School ho

Willis House                                  Warren Rt. Newton, farm bailiff          

Cross Albert, farmer                      to Arthur Mitchell esq. Mansfield farm


1939 KELLY’S DIRECTORY OF DORSETSHIRE

 

West Orchard is a parish, 3 miles north-east from Sturminster Newton station on the London, Midland and Scottish and Southern joint line, and 5 south-west from Shaftesbury, in the Northern division of the county, petty sessional division of Shaftesbury, county court district and rural district of Shaftesbury, hundred of Sixpenny Handley, rural deanery of Sturminster Newton, archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury. Water is supplied by the Shaftesbury Rural District Council.  The church, (dedication unknown), was rebuilt, with the exception of the chancel, in 1878 and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing 2 bells; it will seat 80 people.  The register dates from the year 1653.  The living is a chapelry annexed to the rectory and vicarage of Fontmell Magna, joint net yearly value 600, with 33 acres of glebe, in the gift of Lord Wolverton and held since 1903 by the Rev. Charles Pigott Edmonds B.A. of Trinity College, Dublin, rural dean of Sturminster Newton, who resides at Fontmell.  The trustees of the late Arthur Mitchell esq are the chief landowners.  The soil is loam and sand; subsoil gravel and clay.  The land is principally pasture.  The area is 669 acres; population in 1931, 52

 

Letters through Shaftesbury.  The nearest M.O. office is at Sturminster Newton & nearest T office at Manston.

 

PRIVATE RESIDENT

Turner Mrs Charlotte Ann, Keybrook house

 

COMMERCIAL

Marked thus farm 150 acres or over

 

Collington John Eric, farmer,      Warren Rt. Newton, farm bailiff, to exors

Willis House                                       of Arthur Mitchell esq. Mansfield farm

Cross Albert farmer                       Watson Tom, smallholder, School house

Goddard William, farmer            

Mitchell Arth. H. (exors of), farmers    Manor farm


 WEST ORCHARD PAGE  | OPC HOME PAGE