East Orchard

TRADE & POSTAL DIRECTORY'S 

 

1867     1880

 

Kindly transcribed for the OPC Project by Dorinda Miles

 

Extract from Post Office Directory of Dorsetshire 1867

EAST ORCHARD is a parish, in the petty sessional division of East Shaston, Sixpenny Handley hundred, union and county court district of Shaftesbury, diocese of Salisbury, archdeaconry of Dorset, and rural deanery of Shaftesbury, 3 miles south-west from Shaftesbury, 5 north-east from Sturminster, and 10 east from Sherborne. The church is a new stone building. The living is a vicarage, with the chapelry of Margaret Marsh annexed, in the gift of the Vicar of Iwerne Minster, and held by the Rev Eldon Vaughan Chappel, M A.


The population in 1861 was 227; acreage 860.


Parish clerk, Richard MOGGRIDGE

Letters received from Shaftesbury, which is the nearest money order office.

National School, Miss MARSHALL, mistress

 

COMMERCIAL

BASTABLE Elizabeth (Mrs) farmer

BENNETT Alfred, farmer

BUTT Samuel, dairyman

GULLIVER Lemuel (Mrs) farmer

HART Keziah, shopkeeper

HUNT Cornelius, hay and corn dealer & farmer

HUNT Harry, farmer

LAURENCE Philip, shopkeeper

MATCHAM Thomas, blacksmith

MAYO James, farmer

MILES William, farmer

ROBERTS Martin, farmer

SHUTE George, farmer

TAPPER Henry, farmer

TUCKER Luke, farmer

 

Extract from Post Office Directory of Dorsetshire 1880

EAST ORCHARD is a parish, in the petty sessional division of East Shaston, Sixpenny Handley hundred, union and county court district of Shaftesbury, diocese of Salisbury, archdeaconry of Dorset, and rural deanery of Shaftesbury fourth portion, 3 miles south-west from Shaftesbury and 4 north-east from Sturminster station.

The church of St Thomas is a modern stone building, in the early English style and comprises chancel, nave south porch and bell turret with 1 bell, and has an organ and will seat 150 people.

The register dates from the year 1785. The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Margaret Marsh, yearly value 200, in the gift of the Vicar of Iwerne Minster, and held by the Rev Eldon Vaughan Chappel, M A. of Trinity College, Cambridge. Here is a Weslyan chapel. Thomas Bower esq is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are the rev. J Penruddock and sir Richard G Glyn bart.

The soil is clay and gravel; subsoil, blue clay. The land is heavy pasture. There are numerous apple orchards and cider is manufactured. The area is 860 acres; rateable value 2,084: the population in 1871 was 244.


Parish clerk, Richard MOGGRIDGE

Letters received from Shaftesbury, which is the nearest money order office. Wall letter box at the school, cleared at 4.20pm week days only.

National School, Miss Emily SQUIBB, mistress

BARTER Levi George, Great house

CHAPPEL Rev. Eldon Vaughan M A (Vicar), Vicarage

BASTABLE George farmer

COX James, farmer & cowkeeper

HUNT Cornelius (Mrs), hay and corn dealer & farmer

HUNT Frank, farmer

HUNT Edwin, farmer

MATCHAM Thomas, blacksmith

MAYO John, farmer

MOCKRIDGE John, shopkeeper

POLDEN Ambrose, shopkeeper

ROBERTS Martin, farmer

ROSE Samuel, farmer

SHUTE George, farmer & cowkeeper

STAY Robert, farmer, registrar of births & deaths & collector of poor rates

TAPPER Henry, farmer

TUCKER Luke, farmer & cowkeeper.

    EAST ORCHARD PAGE                    OPC HOME PAGE