East Orchard

TRADE & POSTAL DIRECTORIES

1848 | 1851 | 1855 | 1859 | 1865 | 1871 | 1875 | 1885 | 1889
 

1895 | 1898 | 1903 | 1907 | 1911 | 1915 | 1920 | 1923 | 1927
 

1931 | 1935 | 1939
 

All transcriptions by Sue Thornton-Grimes

1848 KELLY’S DIRECTORY OF DORSETSHIRE and

1849 POST OFFICE DIRECTORY OF DORSETSHIRE & WILTSHIRE

 

East Orchard, or Hargrove, a small chapelry of Iwerne Minster parish in Sixpenny Handley Hundred, division and union of Shaftesbury, from which it is 4  miles south-west, 5 miles north-east from Sturminster, and 10 east from Sherborne.  The church is small, and of Norman architecture.  The living is a curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Iwerne Minster, in the diocese of Salisbury, and patronage of the Dean and Canons of Windsor.  Population, in 1841, was 201; acreage 800.

 

TRADERS

Bastable Mrs Elizabeth, farmer           Mitchell Thomas, farmer

George John, farmer                            Moore Joseph, thatcher

Gulliver Lionel, farmer                         Tapper William, farmer

Matcham Mrs Mary, blacksmith            Tucker William, farmer

 

Letters received through Shaftesbury.


1851 HUNT & CO’s DIRECTORY OF DORSET, HAMPSHIRE, WITSHIRE, SOMERSET & BRISTOL

 

East Orchard, a village and chapelry 5 miles N.E. from Sturminster, and 4 S.W. from Shaftesbury.  It has a small church in the Norman style of architecture; the living is a curacy united with that of Iwerne Minster, this village contained in 1841 201 inhabitants.

 

Bennett Mr John Light

           __________

 

Bastable George Thos. Farmer                           Mitchell Thomas, farmer

Bennett William, farmer                                       Mockridge Richard,

George John, farmer                                            shoemaker & parish clerk

Gulliver Lemuel, farmer                                       Pople John, farmer

Hiscock Edward, stonemason                             Shute George, farmer

Hunt Harry, farmer                                                Tapper William, farmer

Matcham Jane, blacksmith                                   Tucker William, farmer  


 1855 POST OFFICE DIRECTORY OF DORSETSHIRE

 

East Orchard is a parish in Sixpenny Handley Hundred, division and Union of Shaftesbury, from which it is 4 miles south-west, 5 miles north-east from Sturminster, and 10 east from Sherborne.  The church is small, and of Norman architecture. The living is a curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Iwerne Minster, in the diocese of Salisbury, and patronage of the Dean and Canons of Windsor.  Population, in 1851, was 219; acreage 860.

 

Hartgrove is a tithing in Fontmell Magna parish, with 150 inhabitants.

 

Letters through Shaftesbury.  The nearest money order offices are at Shaftesbury & Sturminster Newton.

 

TRADERS

Applin, Thomas, farmer, Hartgrove     Mayo James, farmer

Bastable Elizabeth (Mrs), farmer         Miles John, farmer, Hartgrove

Bastable William, general dealer         Miles Joseph, farmer, Hartgrove

Bishop Richard, farmer, Hartgrove      Moggeridge Richard, shopkeeper &

Bown William, shopkeeper                                   parish clerk

Butt Samuel, dairyman                         Pople John, farmer

George John, farmer                            Ribbick James, farmer, Hartgrove

Gulliver Lionel, farmer                          Rideout Henry, farmer, Hartgrove

Hunt Cornelius, hay & corn dealer        Roberts Martin, farmer

& farmer                                     Shute George, farmer

Hunt Harry, farmer                                Tapper William, farmer

Laurence William, shopkeeper            Tapper Wm. jun. dairyman, Hartgrove

Lilly John, shopkeeper, Hartgrove        Tucker William, farmer

Matcham Jane (Mrs), smith                  Wright James, farmer, Hartgrove

 

National School:  Mrs Ann Fifett, mistress 


1859 POST OFFICE DIRECTORY OF DORSETSHIRE

 

East Orchard is a parish in Sixpenny Handley hundred, division, union, and county court district of Shaftesbury, from which it is 4 miles south-west, 5 north-east from Sturminster and 10 east from Sherborne, in the diocese of Salisbury, archdeaconry of Dorset and deanery of Shaftesbury.  The church has been taken down, and a new stone structure is being erected.  The living is a curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Iwerne Minster.  Population, in 1851, was 210; acreage 860.

 

Hartgrove is a tithing in Fontmell Magna parish, with 150 inhabitants.

 

Letters through Shaftesbury.  The nearest money order offices are at Shaftesbury & Sturminster Newton.

 

COMMERCIAL

Applin Thomas, farmer, Hartgrove      Miles Joseph, farmer, Hartgrove

Bastable Elizabeth (Mrs), farmer        Moggeridge Richard,

Bishop Richard, farmer, Hartgrove                   shopkeeper & parish clerk

Butt Samuel, dairyman                        Ribbick Jas. (Mrs), farmer, Hartgrove

Gulliver Lionel, farmer                         Rideout Henry, farmer, Hartgrove

Hunt Cornelius, hay & corn dealer       Roberts Martin, farmer

& farmer                                    Shute George, farmer

Hunt Harry, farmer                               Tapper William, farmer

Laurence Philip, shopkeeper               Tapper William jun. dairyman

Matcham Thomas, smith                     Tucker William, farmer

Mayo James, farmer                            Wright James, farmer

 

National School:  Mrs Ann Fifett, mistress 


1865  POSTAL & COMMERCIAL DIRECTORY

1865 HARROD’S DIRECTOR OF DORSET & WILTSHIRE

 

East Orchard is a parish in Sixpenny Handley hundred, division and union, 4 miles from Shaftesbury, S.W., 5 N.E. from Sturminster, and 10 E. from Sherborne.  The living is a curacy.  The church is a new stone building now completed, and the living is now separated from Iwerne Minster, and belongs to the Rev. E. V.  Chappel.  Population in 1861 was 227; acreage, 860

 

Hartgrove is a tithing in Fontmell Magna parish.

 

POSTAL REGULATIONS:- Letters through Shaftesbury.  The nearest money-order offices are at Shaftesbury and Sturminster Newton.  Post town, Shaftesbury.

 

COMMERCIAL

Applin Edward, farmer, Hartgrove      Mayo James, farmer

Bastable George, farmer                    Miles Joseph, farmer, Hartgrove

Bastable John, dairyman                    Moggridge Richard, shopkeeper

Bartlett William, dairyman                         & parish clerk

Bennett William, farmer                     Ribbick Mrs Jas., farmer, Hartgrove

Butt Samuel, dairyman                       Rideout Henry, farmer, Hartgrove

Hunt Cornelius, hay and corn dealer  Roberts Martin, farmer

and farmer                               Shute George, farmer

Hunt Harry, farmer                              Tapper Henry, farmer

Jesse John, farmer, Hartgrove           Tapper Mrs Mary

Laurence Philip, shopkeeper             Tucker William, farmer

Matcham Thomas, smith                   Wright James, farmer


1871  MERCER & CROCKER’S DIRECTORY OF HAMPSHIRE & DORSETSHIRE

 

East Orchard is a small village and parish near Shaftesbury, which is the nearest money order office.  The living is annexed with Margaret Marsh. Richard Moggeridge, Parish Clerk, Robert Bastable, Mrs Gulliver, Cornelius Hunt, Harry Hunt, John Mayo, William Miles, George Shute, Robert Stay, Henry Tapper and Luke Tucker are farmers; Thomas Matcham, blacksmith.


1875  POST OFFICE DIRECTORY OF HAMPSHIRE, WILTSHIRE & DORSET

 

East Orchard is a parish, in the petty sessional division of East Shaston, Sixpenny Handley hundred, union and county court district of Shaftesbury, diocese of Salisbury, archdeaconry of Dorset, and rural deanery of Shaftesbury, 3 miles south-west from Shaftesbury, and 5 north-east from Sturminster.  The church of St Thomas is a new stone building, in the Early English style, and comprises chancel, nave, south porch and bell turret with 1 bell, and has an organ and will seat 150 people.  The register dates from the year 1785.  The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Margaret Marsh, yearly value 200, in the gift of the vicar of Iwerne Minster, and held by the Rev. Eldon Vaughan Chappel, M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge.  Here is a National school and a Wesleyan chapel.  Thomas Bower, esq. is lord of the manor.  The principal landowners are the Rev. J. Penruddock and Sir Richard G. Glyn, bart.  The soil is clay and gravel; subsoil, blue clay.   The land is heavy pasture.  There are numerous apple orchards and cider is manufactured.  The area is 860 acres; gross estimated rental, 2,239; rateable value, 2,002; the population in 1871 was 244.

 

Parish Clerk, Richard Moggridge.

 

WALL LETTER BOX at the school, cleared at 2.30 p.m. on week days only

Letters received from Shaftesbury, which is the nearest money order office

 

National School, Miss Elizabeth Marshall, mistress

 

Barter Levi George, Great house

Chappel Rev. Eldon Vaughan, M.A. [Vicar], Vicarage

 

Bastable George, farmer                             Mayo John, farmer

Cox James, farmer & cowkeeper                Roberts Martin, farmer

Hunt Cornelius, hay & corn dealer               Shute George, farmer

            & farmer                                                                   & cowkeeper

Hunt Harry, farmer, hay & corn dealer        Stay Robert, farmer, registrar    

& grazier                                                       of births & deaths & collector

Johnson Jane (Mrs), shopkeeper                      of poor rates

Laurence Philip, shopkeeper & blacksmith Tapper Henry, farmer

Martin Charles, dairyman                             Tucker Luke, farmer

Matcham Thomas, blacksmith                                      & cowkeeper


1885  KELLY’S DIRECTORY OF WILTSHIRE, DORSETSHIRE & HAMPSHIRE

 

East Orchard is a parish in the northern division of the county, petty sessional division of Shaftesbury, Sixpenny Handley hundred, union and county court district of Shaftesbury, rural deanery of Shaftesbury, fourth portion, archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury, 3 miles south-west from Shaftesbury and 4 north-east from Sturminster station on the Somerset and Dorset railway.  The church of St Thomas is a modern stone building in the Early English style, and comprises chancel, nave, south porch and turret with 1 bell and has an organ and will seat 150 people.  The register dates from the year 1785.  The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Margaret Marsh, gross joint yearly value 250 with house, in the gift of the Vicar of Iwerne Minster and held since 1865 by the Rev. Eldon Vaughan Chappel M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge.  Here is a Wesleyan chapel.  Thomas Bower esq. is lord of the manor.  The principal landowners are R. Devenish esq., the trustees of the Rev. J. Penruddock and Sir Richard G Glyn bart. D.L., J.P.  The soil is clay and gravel; subsoil blue clay.  The land is heavy pasture.  There are numerous apple orchards and cider is manufactured.  The area is 860 acres; rateable value 2,069; the population in 1881 was 233.

Parish Clerk: Richard Moggridge

 

Letters received from Shaftesbury, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

WALL LETTER BOX at the school, cleared at 4.20 p.m. week days only.

National School (mixed), with residence for mistress, built in 1867 for 85 children; average attendance 54; Miss Emily Squibb, mistress

 

Chappel Rev E V [vicar], Vicarage

 

Bastable George, farmer                         Mockridge John, shopkeeper

Hunt Augustus, farmer                             Polder Ambrose, shopkeeper

Hunt Cornelius, hay & corn dealer           Roberts Martin, farmer

            & farmer                                        Shute George, farmer & cowkeeper

Hunt Cornelius (Mrs), farmer                   Stay Robert, farmer, registrar of

Hunt Edwin, farmer                                    of births and deaths and collector

Matcham Thomas, blacksmith                  of poor rates

Mayo John, farmer                                    Tucker Luke, farmer & cowkeeper 


1889 KELLY’S DIRECTORY OF DORSETSHIRE

 

East Orchard is a parish 3  miles south-west from Shaftesbury and 4 north-east from Sturminster station on the Somerset and Dorset railway, in the Northern division of the county, Sixpenny Handley hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Shaftesbury, rural deanery of Shaftesbury (Sturminster Newton portion), archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury.  A stream flowing to the south-west forms the boundary between this parish and West Orchard.  The church of St Thomas is a modern stone building in the Early English style, and comprises chancel, nave, south porch and western turret, containing one bell; the church contains an organ and will seat 150 people.  The register dates from the year 1785.  The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Margaret Marsh, gross joint yearly value 250, with house, in the gift of the vicar of Iwerne Minster, and held since 1863 by the Rev. Eldon Vaughan Chappel M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge.  Here is a Wesleyan chapel.  Thomas Bower esq. is lord of the manor.  The principal landowners are R. Devenish esq. the trustees of the Rev. J. Penruddock and Sir Richard G Glyn bart. D.L., J.P.  The soil is clay and gravel; subsoil blue clay.  The land is heavy pasture.  There are numerous apple orchards and cider is manufactured.  The area is 860 acres; rateable value 2,027; the population in 1881 was 233.

Parish Clerk: Richard Moggridge

 

Letters received from Shaftesbury, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office arrive at 8.30 a.m. 

WALL LETTER BOX at the school, cleared at 4.20 p.m. week days only.

National School (mixed), with residence for master, built in 1867 for 67 children; average attendance 66; Frederick William Martin, master

 

Chappel Rev. Eldon Vaughan M.A. [vicar], Vicarage

 

COMMERCIAL

Bastable George, farmer                              Mockridge John, shopkeeper

Bastable William, blacksmith                       Roberts John, farmer

Bugg Henry William, farmer                         Shute George, farmer

Hiscock John, shoe maker                           Stay Robert, farmer, registrar

Hunt Cornelius James, hay & corn dealer       of births & deaths for Fontmell

& farmer                                                       Magna sub-district, &

Hunt Cornelius (Mrs), farmer                                collector of poor rate

Hunt Edwin, cowkeeper & shopkeeper        Tucker Luke, farmer

Mayo John, farmer                                        Weeden James, shopkeeper


1895  KELLY’S DIRECTORY OF DORSETSHIRE

 

East Orchard is a parish 4 miles north-east from Sturminster station on the Midland and South Western Junction railway, and 3 south-west from Shaftesbury, in the Northern division of the county, Sixpenny Handley hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Shaftesbury, rural deanery of Shaftesbury (Sturminster Newton portion), archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury.  A stream flowing to the south-west forms the boundary between this parish and West Orchard.  The church of St Thomas is a modern stone building in the Early English style, and comprises chancel, nave, south porch and western turret, containing one bell; the church contains an organ and will seat 150 people.  The register dates from the year 1785.  The living is a vicarage, with that of St. Margaret Marsh annexed, average tithe rent-charge 60, joint gross yearly value 227, net 210, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Iwerne Minster, and held since 1863 by the Rev. Eldon Vaughan Chappel M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge.  Here is a Wesleyan chapel and Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1890.  Thomas Bower esq. is lord of the manor.  The principal landowners are R. Devenish esq. the trustees of the Rev. J. Penruddock and Sir Richard G Glyn bart. D.L., J.P.  The soil is clay and gravel; subsoil blue clay.  The land is heavy pasture.  There are numerous apple orchards and cider is manufactured.  The area is 839 acres; rateable value 2,016; the population in 1891 was 166.

Parish Clerk: Thomas Elliott

 

Letters received from Shaftesbury, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office arrive at 9 a.m. 

WALL LETTER BOX at the school, cleared at 4.20 p.m. week days only.

National School (mixed), with residence for master, built in 1867 for 67 children; average attendance 64; Geo. Webb, master

 

Chappel Rev. Eldon Vaughan M.A. [vicar], Vicarage

 

COMMERCIAL

Bastable George, farmer, Great              Mockridge John, shopkeeper

            House & WInchell’s farm              Mockridge Samuel, cowkeeper

Chaldecott Arthur, baker                         Shute Jordon Richard, farmer

Feltham James, butcher                          Stay Robert, farmer, registrar

Hiscock John, shoe maker                      of births & deaths for Fontmell

Hunt Cornelius (Mrs), farmer                    Magna sub-district, & collector

Mayo John, farmer                                    of poor rate, Hartgrove farm

Merefield Sarah (Mrs), shopkeeper       Tucker Luke, farmer


1898  KELLY’S DIRECTORY OF DORSETSHIRE

 

East Orchard is a parish 4 miles north-east from Sturminster station on the Midland and South Western Junction railway, and 3 south-west from Shaftesbury, in the Northern division of the county, Sixpenny Handley hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Shaftesbury, rural deanery of Shaftesbury (Sturminster Newton portion), archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury.  A stream flowing to the south-west forms the boundary between this parish and West Orchard.  The church of St Thomas is a modern stone building in the Early English style, and comprises chancel, nave, south porch and western turret, containing one bell; the church will seat 150 people.  The register dates from the year 1785.  The living is a vicarage, with that of St. Margaret Marsh annexed, joint net yearly value 205, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Iwerne Minster, and held since 1863 by the Rev. Eldon Vaughan Chappel M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge.  Here is a Wesleyan chapel and Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1890.  Thomas Bower esq. is lord of the manor.  The principal landowners are Capt. Myers. the trustees of the Rev. J. Penruddock and Sir Richard G Glyn bart. of Gaunt’s House, WImborne.  The soil is clay and gravel; subsoil blue clay.  The land is heavy pasture.  There are numerous apple orchards and cider is manufactured.  The area is 839 acres; rateable value 1,831; the population in 1891 was 166.

 

Letters received from Shaftesbury, arrive at 9 a.m. 

Wall Letter Box at the school, cleared at 9 a.m. & 4.20 p.m. week days only.

Fontmell Magna is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 3 miles distant.

National School (mixed), with residence for master, built in 1867 for 76 children; average attendance 59; Geo. Webb, master

 

Chappel Rev. Eldon Vaughan M.A. [vicar], Vicarage

 

COMMERCIAL

Bastable George William & John             Mockridge John, shopkeeper

Thos. farmers, WInchells farm                 Mockridge Samuel, cowkeeper

Courage Frank, blacksmith                     Ridout John, shopkeeper

Hunt Cornelius (Mrs), farmer                   Shute Jordon Richard, farmer

Hunt Harry, farmer                                   Tucker Luke, farmer

Mayo Mary Ann (Mrs), farmer                  Tuffin Frank Moore, farmer,

Meaden Wm, farmer, Hartgrove farm                        Great House


1903  KELLY’S DIRECTORY OF DORSETSHIRE

 

East Orchard is a parish 4 miles north-east from Sturminster station on the Midland and South Western Junction railway, and 3 south-west from Shaftesbury, in the Northern division of the county, Sixpenny Handley hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Shaftesbury, rural deanery of Shaftesbury (Sturminster Newton portion), archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury.  A stream flowing to the south-west forms the boundary between this parish and West Orchard.  The church of St Thomas is a modern building of stone, in the Early English style, and comprises chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret, containing one bell; the church will seat 150 people.  The register dates from the year 1785.  The living is a vicarage, with that of St. Margaret Marsh annexed, joint net yearly value 200, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Iwerne Minster, and held since 1863 by the Rev. Eldon Vaughan Chappel M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge.  Here is a Wesleyan chapel and Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1890.  Thomas Bower esq. is lord of the manor.  The principal landowners are Capt. Myers. the trustees of the Rev. J. Penruddock and Sir Richard G Glyn bart. of Gaunt’s House, WImborne.  The soil is clay and gravel; subsoil blue clay.  The land is heavy pasture.  There are numerous apple orchards and cider is manufactured.  The area is 800 acres; rateable value 1,865; the population in 1901 was 169.

 

Letters received from Shaftesbury, arrive at 9 a.m. 

Wall Letter Box at the school, cleared at 8.40 a.m. & 4.20 p.m.  week days only.

Fontmell Magna is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 3 miles distant.

Elementary School (mixed), with residence for master, built in 1867, for 76 children; average attendance 54; George Webb, master

 

Chappel Rev. Eldon Vaughan M.A. [vicar], Vicarage

 

COMMERCIAL

Bastable George William & John       Meaden Wm. farmer, Hartgrove farm

Thos. farmers, WInchells farm           Mockridge John, shopkeeper

Burt William G, dairyman                   Mockridge Samuel, cowkeeper

Gray Charles, farmer                          Pike William, cowkeeper

Hunt Cornelius (Mrs), farmer              Ridout John, shopkeeper

Mayo Mary Ann (Mrs), farmer             Shute Jordon Richard, farmer


1907  KELLY’S DIRECTORY OF DORSETSHIRE

 

East Orchard is a parish 4 miles north-east from Sturminster station on the Midland and South Western Junction railway, and 3 south-west from Shaftesbury, in the Northern division of the county, Sixpenny Handley hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Shaftesbury, rural deanery of Shaftesbury (Sturminster Newton portion), archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury.  A stream flowing to the south-west forms the boundary between this parish and West Orchard.  The church of St Thomas is a modern building of stone, in the Early English style, and comprises chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret, containing one bell; the church will seat 150 people.  The register dates from the year 1785.  The living is a vicarage, with that of St. Margaret Marsh annexed, joint net yearly value 192, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Iwerne Minster, and held since 1863 by the Rev. Eldon Vaughan Chappel M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge.  Here is a Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1876, and a Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1890.  Thomas Bower esq. is lord of the manor.  The principal landowners are Capt. Myers, the trustees of the Rev. J. Penruddock and Sir Richard G Glyn bart. of Gaunt’s House, WImborne.  The soil is clay and gravel; subsoil blue clay.  The land is heavy pasture.  There are numerous apple orchards and cider is manufactured.  The area is 800 acres; rateable value 1,848; the population in 1901 was 168.

 

Letters received from Shaftesbury, arrive at 9 a.m. 

Wall Letter Box at the school, cleared at 8.40 a.m. & 4.20 p.m.  week days only.

Fontmell Magna is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 3 miles distant.

Elementary School (mixed), (under the control of the County Council) with residence for master, built in 1867, for 76 children; average attendance 64; George Webb, master

 

Chappel Rev. Eldon Vaughan M.A. [vicar], Vicarage

 

COMMERCIAL

Bastable George William & John                 Pike William, cowkeeper  

Thos. farmers, WInchells farm                     Roberts August George,

Dennis John Charles, farmer,                              farmer, Henbury farm

Swainscombe farm                                       Shute Jordan Richard,

Gray Chas, farmer, Gulliver’s farm                   farmer, Trapdoor farm

Mayo Mary Ann (Mrs), farmer                       Starks James, cowkeeper

Meaden William. farmer, Hartgrove farm


1911  KELLY’S DIRECTORY OF DORSET

 

East Orchard is a parish 4 miles north-east from Sturminster station on the Midland and South Western Junction railway, and 3 south-west from Shaftesbury, in the Northern division of the county, Sixpenny Handley hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Shaftesbury, rural deanery of Shaftesbury (Sturminster Newton portion), archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury.  A stream flowing to the south-west forms the boundary between this parish and West Orchard.  The church of St Thomas is a modern building of stone, in the Early English style, and comprises chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret, containing one bell; the church will seat 150 people.  The register dates from the year 1785.  The living is a vicarage, with that of St. Margaret Marsh annexed, joint net yearly value 192, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Iwerne Minster, and held since 1910 by the Rev. Wilbraham Harris Arundell M.A. of Exeter College, Oxford.  Here is a Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1876, and a Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1890.  Thomas Bower esq. is lord of the manor.  The principal landowners are Capt. Myers, the trustees of the Rev. J. Penruddock and Sir Richard G Glyn bart. of Gaunt’s House, WImborne.  The soil is clay and gravel; subsoil blue clay.  The land is heavy pasture.  There are numerous apple orchards and cider is manufactured.  The area is 800 acres; rateable value 1,877; the population in 1901 was 168.

 

Letters received from Shaftesbury, arrive at 8 a.m. 

Wall Letter Box at the school, cleared at 8.40 a.m. & 4.20 p.m.  week days only.

Bedchester, 2 miles distant, is the nearest post office & Fontmell Magna is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 3 miles distant.

Elementary School (mixed), (under the control of the County Council) with residence for master, built in 1867, for 60 children; average attendance 64; George Webb, master

 

Arundell Rev. Wilbraham Harris M.A. (vicar), Vicarage

 

COMMERCIAL

 

Bennett Wm, farmer, Boxbush farm               Roberts Albert, farmer,

Dennis John Charles, farmer                               Winchells farm

Swainscombe farm                                           Roberts August George,

Gray Harold, farmer, Great House                       farmer, Henbury farm

Jesse Reginald, farmer, Gulliver’s farm           Shute Jordan Richard,

Mayo Mary Ann (Mrs), farmer                               farmer, Trapdoor farm

Meaden William, farmer, Hartgrove                 Starks James, cowkeeper


1915 KELLY’S DIRECTORY OF DORSET

 

East Orchard is a parish 4 miles north-east from Sturminster station on the Midland and South Western Junction railway, and 3 south-west from Shaftesbury, in the Northern division of the county, Sixpenny Handley hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Shaftesbury, rural deanery of Shaftesbury (Sturminster Newton portion), archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury.  A stream flowing to the south-west forms the boundary between this parish and West Orchard.  The church of St Thomas is a modern building of stone, in the Early English style, and comprises chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret, containing one bell; the church will seat 150 people.  The register dates from the year 1785.  The living is a vicarage, with that of St. Margaret Marsh annexed, joint net yearly value 192, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Iwerne Minster, and held since 1913 by the Rev. Henry Percy Gocher M.A. of Pembroke College, Cambridge.  Here is a Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1876, and a Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1890.  Thomas Bower esq. is lord of the manor.  The principal landowners are Capt. Myers, the trustees of the Rev. J. Penruddock and Sir Richard G Glyn bart.  The soil is clay and gravel; subsoil blue clay.  The land is heavy pasture.  There are numerous apple orchards and cider is manufactured.  The area is 839 acres; rateable value 1,903; population in 1911: 120 in the civil parish and 175 in the ecclesiastical parish.

 

Letters received from Shaftesbury, arrive at 8 a.m. 

Wall Letter Box at the school, cleared at 8.40 a.m. & 4.20 p.m.  week days only.

Bedchester, 2 miles distant, is the nearest post office & Fontmell Magna is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 3 miles distant.

Elementary School (mixed), (under the control of the County Council) with residence for master, built in 1867, for 60 children; George Webb, master

 

Gocher Rev. Henry Percy M.A. (vicar), Vicarage

 

COMMERCIAL

Bennett Wm. farmer, Boxbush farm               Roberts Albert, farmer,

Dennis Edwin, farmer, Swainscombe               WInchells farm

            Farm                                                      Roberts Augustus George

Dibben Alfred, farmer                                          farmer, Henbury farm

Gray Harold, farmer, Great house                    Shute Jordan Richard, farmer

Harrison Mrs, farmer                                              Trapdoor farm

Martin Edgar, farmer                                        Starks James, cowkeeper

Mayo Mary Ann (Mrs), farmer                           Turner William, farmer


1920 KELLY’S DIRECTORY OF DORSETSHIRE

 

East Orchard is a parish 4 miles north-east from Sturminster station on the Midland and South Western Junction railway, and 3 south-west from Shaftesbury, in the Northern division of the county, Sixpenny Handley hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Shaftesbury, rural deanery of Sturminster Newton, archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury.  A stream flowing to the south-west forms the boundary between this parish and West Orchard.  The church of St Thomas is a modern building of stone, in the Early English style, and comprises chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret, containing one bell; the church will seat 150 people.  The register dates from the year 1785.  The living is a vicarage, with that of St. Margaret Marsh annexed, joint net yearly value 250, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Iwerne Minster, and held since 1913 by the Rev. Henry Percy Gocher M.A. of Pembroke College, Cambridge.  Here is a Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1876, and a Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1890.  Thomas Bower esq. is lord of the manor.  The land is divided into about fifty smallholdings.   The soil is clay and gravel; subsoil blue clay.  The land is heavy pasture.  There are numerous apple orchards.  The area is 839 acres; rateable value 1,930; population in 1911: 120 in the civil parish and 175 in the ecclesiastical parish.

 

Letters received from Shaftesbury, arrive at 8 a.m.  Bedchester, 2 miles distant, is the nearest post office & Fontmell Magna, 3 miles distant, is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

 

Wall Letter Box at the school, cleared week days only.

 

Church of England Elementary School (mixed), (under the control of appointed governors), with residence for mistress, built in 1867 and enlarged in 1912; Mrs Hoskins, mistress.

 

Gocher Rev. Henry Percy M.A. (vicar), Vicarage

 

COMMERCIAL

Marked thus farm 150 acres or over                         ,

Butt Edith (Mrs), farmer, Swainscomb farm     Meaden Frank & Sidney

Dennis Edward Myall, farmer,                            farmers, Hartgrove          ,

  Trapdoor farm                                                   Roberts Albert, farmer     

Gray Harold, farmer, Great house                      Winchells farm

Harrison Mrs, farmer                                         Roberts Augustus George

Martin Edgar, farmer                                               farmer, Henbury farm

Mayo Mary Ann (Mrs), farmer                            Turner William, farmer


1923 KELLY’S DIRECTORY OF HAMPSHIRE, WILTSHIRE,    DORSETSHIRE, ISLE OF WIGHT & CHANNEL ISLANDS

 

East Orchard is a parish 4 miles north-east from Sturminster station on the London, Midland and Scottish and Southern joint line, and 3 south-west from Shaftesbury, in the Northern division of the county, Sixpenny Handley hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Shaftesbury, rural deanery of Sturminster Newton, archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury.  A stream flowing to the south-west forms the boundary between this parish and West Orchard.  The church of St Thomas is a modern building of stone, in the Early English style, and comprises chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret, containing one bell; the church will seat 150 people.  The register dates from the year 1785.  The living is a vicarage, with that of St. Margaret Marsh annexed, joint net yearly value 296, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Iwerne Minster, and held since 1913 by the Rev. Henry Percy Gocher M.A. of Pembroke College, Cambridge.  Here is a Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1876, and a Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1890.  Thomas Bower esq. is lord of the manor.  The land is divided into about fifty smallholdings.   The soil is clay and gravel; subsoil blue clay.  The land is heavy pasture.  There are numerous apple orchards.  The area is 839 acres; rateable value 1,928; population in 1911: 120 in the civil parish and 175 in the ecclesiastical parish.

 

Letters through Shaftesbury.  Bedchester, 2 miles distant, is the nearest post office & Fontmell Magna, 3 miles distant, is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

 

Church of England Elementary School (mixed), (under the control of appointed governors), with residence for mistress, built in 1867 and enlarged in 1912; Mrs Price, mistress.

 

Gocher Rev. Henry Percy M.A. (vicar), Vicarage

 

COMMERCIAL

Marked thus farm 150 acres or over                         ,

Bush John Robert, farmer, Great Ho.   Price Henry Wm. Holroyd

Chudley Samuel, smallholder                  assistant overseer for East &

Dennis Edward Myall, farmer,              West Orchard & Fontmell Magna         

  Trapdoor farm                                      Rabbetts Frederick George, farmer

Gibbs Walter, farmer,                          Roberts Albert, farmer,

Swainscombe farm                                     WInchells farm

Gillett Alice Mary (Mrs), farmer             Roberts Augustus George

Martin Edgar, farmer                                   farmer, Henbury farm    

Meaden Frank & Sidney,                       Shute Mervyn, farmer      

  farmers, Hartgrove                                Turner William, farmer


1927  KELLY’S DIRECTORY OF DORSETSHIRE

 

East Orchard is a parish 4 miles north-east from Sturminster station on the London, Midland and Scottish and Southern joint line, and 3 south-west from Shaftesbury, in the Northern division of the county, Sixpenny Handley hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Shaftesbury, rural deanery of Sturminster Newton, archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury.  A stream flowing to the south-west forms the boundary between this parish and West Orchard.  The church of St Thomas is a modern building of stone, in the Early English style, and comprises chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret, containing one bell; the church will seat 150 people.  The register dates from the year 1785.  The living is a vicarage, with that of St. Margaret Marsh annexed, joint net yearly value 248, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Iwerne Minster, and held since 1926 by the Rev. Albert Ferdinand Gabriel Christie M.A. of St. Edmund Hall, Oxford.  There is a Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1876, and a Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1890.  The soil is clay and gravel; subsoil blue clay.  The land is heavy pasture.  There are numerous apple orchards.  The area is 839 acres; rateable value 2.046; population in 1921was 88 in the civil parish and 147 in the ecclesiastical parish.

 

Letters through Shaftesbury.  Bedchester, 2 miles distant, is the nearest post office & Fontmell Magna, 3 miles distant, is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

 

Church of England Elementary School (mixed), (under the control of appointed governors), with residence for mistress, built in 1867 and enlarged in 1912; Miss Nellie Mead, mistress.

 

Christie Rev. Albt. Ferdinand Gabriel M.A. (vicar), Vicarage

Cook Lawrence, Oaklands

Price Henry William

 

 

COMMERCIAL

Abbott G M (Miss), farmer                      Gillett Alice Mary (Mrs), farmer

  Hartgrove farm                                       Hartnell Herbt. Geo, farmer

Bush John Robert, farmer,                     Roberts Albert, farmer, Winchells fm

  Great House                                          Roberts Augustus George, farmer

Bush Wm. Geo. farmer                                Henbury farm

Crooks William Ernest, wheelwright      Shute Mervyn, farmer

Dennis Edward Myall, farmer,                Turner William, farmer,

  Trapdoor farm                                            Bowling Green farm

Edmonds Geo, farmer


1931  KELLY’S DIRECTORY OF DORSETSHIRE

 

East Orchard is a parish 4 miles north-east from Sturminster Newton station on the London, Midland and Scottish and Southern joint line, and 3  south-west from Shaftesbury, in the Northern division of the county, Sixpenny Handley hundred, petty sessional division, rural district and county court district of Shaftesbury, rural deanery of Sturminster Newton, archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury.  A stream flowing to the south-west forms the boundary between this parish and West Orchard.  The church of St Thomas is a modern building of stone, in the Early English style, and comprises chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret, containing one bell; the church will seat 150 people.  The register dates from the year 1785.  The living is a vicarage, with that of St. Margaret Marsh annexed, joint net yearly value 296, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Iwerne Minster, and held since 1930 by the Rev. Henry Augustus Bright M.A. of St. Catherine’s College, Cambridge.  There is a Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1876, and a Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1890.  The soil is clay and gravel; subsoil blue clay.  The land is heavy pasture.  There are numerous apple orchards.  The area is 839 acres; population in 1921was 88 in the civil parish and 147 in the ecclesiastical parish.

 

Letters through Shaftesbury.  Fontmell Magna nearest M. O. & T. office

 

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

Bright Rev. Henry August M.A. (vicar) Vicarage

Cook Lawrence, Oaklands

Price H.W. Holroyd

 

COMMERCIAL

Abbott G M (Miss), farmer                     Edmonds Geo. Farmer, Meads

Hartgrove farm                                       Gillett Alice Mary (Mrs), smallholder

T N Fontmell Magna 9                            Hartnell Herbt. Geo. farmer

Bush John Robert, farmer                     Roberts Albert, farmer, WInchells fm

Great House                                           Roberts Augustus George, farmer

Bush Wm. Geo. Farmer,                            Henbury farm

White gate                                              Shute Stanley Mervyn, farmer,

Crooks William Ernest, wheel-                 Gulliver’s farm

Wright, builder, decorator,                     Turner William, farmer

Agricultural engineer & smith                    Bowling Green farm

Dennis Edward Myall, farmer

Trapdoor Farm 


1935 KELLY’S DIRECTORY OF DORSETSHIRE

 

East Orchard is a parish 4 miles north-east from Sturminster Newton station on the London, Midland and Scottish and Southern joint line, and 4 south-west from Shaftesbury, in the Northern division of the county, Sixpenny Handley hundred, petty sessional division, rural district and county court district of Shaftesbury, rural deanery of Sturminster Newton, archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury.  A stream flowing to the south-west forms the boundary between this parish and West Orchard.  The church of St Thomas is a modern building of stone, in the Early English style, and comprises chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret, containing one bell; the church will seat 150 people.  The register dates from the year 1785.  The living is a vicarage, with that of St. Margaret Marsh annexed, joint net yearly value 296, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Iwerne Minster.  There is a Methodist chapel, erected in 1876, and a Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1890.  The land is mostly owned by the farmers.  The soil is clay and gravel; subsoil blue clay.  The land is heavy pasture.  There are numerous apple orchards.  The area is 839 acres; population in 1931was 101 in the civil parish and 149 in the ecclesiastical parish.

 

Post & Tel. Call office.  Letters through Shaftesbury.  (Telegrams dispatched only).  Fontmell Magna nearest M. O. & T. office

 

*Receive their letters direct from Shaftesbury

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

Cook Lawrence, Oaklands

* Price H W Holroyd, Laurel Cottage, Hartgrove

 

COMMERCIAL

* Abbott G M (Miss), farmer,  Hartgrove farm, Hartgrove

Bush Albt. Geo. farmer, Willis farm

Bush John Robert, farmer,   Great House

Crooks Olive Winifred (Miss), teacher of pianoforte, Meadow View

Crooks William Ernest, wheelwright, builder, decorator, agricultural engineer & smith, poultry houses & appliances

Dennis Edward Myall, farmer, Trapdoor farm

Edmonds Geo. farmer, Meads

Gillett Alice Mary (Mrs), smallholder

Hartnell Herbt. Geo. farmer

Roberts Albt. Arth.  farmer, WInchells farm

Roberts Augustus George, farmer, Henbury farm

Shute Stanley Mervyn, farmer, Gulliver’s farm

Turner William, farmer, Bowling Green farm


1939 KELLY’S DIRECTORY OF DORSETSHIRE

 

East Orchard is a parish 4 miles north-east from Sturminster Newton station on the London, Midland and Scottish and Southern joint line, and 4 south-west from Shaftesbury, in the Northern division of the county, Sixpenny Handley hundred, petty sessional division, rural district and county court district of Shaftesbury, rural deanery of Sturminster Newton, archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury.  A stream flowing to the south-west forms the boundary between this parish and West Orchard.  Water is supplied by the Shaftesbury Rural District Council.  The church of St Thomas is a modern building of stone, in the Early English style, and comprises chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret, containing one bell; the church will seat 150 people.  The register dates from the year 1785.  The living is a vicarage, with that of St. Margaret Marsh annexed, joint net yearly value 296, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Iwerne Minster and held since 1935 by the Rev. Arthur Douglas Dinsdale A.K.C.L.  There is a Methodist chapel, erected in 1876, and another erected in 1890.  The land is mainly owned by the farmers.  The soil is clay and gravel; subsoil blue clay.  The land is heavy pasture.  There are numerous apple orchards.  The area is 839 acres; population in 1931was 101 in the civil parish and 149 in the ecclesiastical parish.

 

Post office.  Letters through Shaftesbury.  Fontmell Magna nearest M. O. & T. office

 

*Receive their letters direct from Shaftesbury

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

Dinsdale Rev. Arthur Douglas A.K.C.L. (vicar), Vicarage

Goodrum Charles Edward, Oaklands

* Price H W Holroyd, Laurel Cottage, Hartgrove

 

COMMERCIAL

* Abbott G M (Miss), farmer, Hartgrove farm, Hartgrove

Bush Albt. Geo. farmer, Bungalow

Bush John Robert, farmer,   Great House

Crooks William Ernest, wheelwright,

Dennis Edward Myall, farmer, Trapdoor farm

Francis Thos. farmer, Bowling Green farm

Gillett Alice Mary (Mrs), smallholder

Hartnell Herbt. Geo. farmer

Roberts Albt. Arth.  farmer, WInchells farm

Rossiter Jas. Farmer, Meads

Shute Stanley Mervyn, farmer, Gulliver’s farm

 EAST ORCHARD PAGE  | OPC HOME PAGE