Okeford Fitzpaine


Transcribed for the OPC Project by Annette Rose

Okeford Fitzpaine is a parish and village 1-1/4 miles south-west from Shillingstone station on the London, Midland and Scottish and Southern joint line, 7 north-west from Blandford and 3-1/2 south-east from Sturminster Newton, in the Northern division of the county, hundred, petty sessional division and rural district of Sturminster, county court district of Blandford, rural deanery of Sturminster Newton, archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury. Under the operation of the divided Parishes Act, a portion of the parish of Belchalwell has for civil purposes only been added to this parish, and the remainder to Fifehead Neville, Electricity is available. Water is supplied by the Sturminster Newton Rural District Council. The water supply of the Sturminster rural district was inaugurated by the Rural District Council in 1935, the water being obtained from a spring called Cook well. The church of St. Andrew is a building of stone in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles, north porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 6 bells: the ancient stone pulpit, used as a font in the 18 th century by the Rev. Duke Butler, rector 1750-80, has since been restored to its original purpose: there is a memorial window to the Rev, G, Rivers Hunter, 52 years rector here, and the west window was erected in 1914 in memory of the Rev. Robert Cholmeley Price, a former curate in charge, and of Florence his wife: there are stained windows in the north and south aisles erected by Miss Mabel Phillips to her parents and brother respectively: the church was thoroughly restored in 1866: there are 344 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1592; burials, 1593, and marriages, 1594. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £640, and residence, in the gift of Capt. G.H.L. Fox-Pitt-Rivers, and held since 1914 by the Rev. Frank Etheridge, of the Church Missionary College , Islington. There are Methodist chapels here and one at Fiddleford. The Reading Room was erected in 1910 by subscription. A charity of about £7, derived from land in Hazelbury Bryan, is distributed annually in clothing amongst the poor, There are brick and tile works belonging to Capt. G.H.Lane Fox-Pitt-Rivers, who is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is a deep sandy loam; subsoil, chalk, sand and clay. The land is chiefly in pasture, with some wheat, barley and roots. The area is 3,739 acres of land and 3 of water; the population in 1931 was 580 in the civil and 494 in the ecclesiastical parish.

Fiddleford is a hamlet, transferred in 1884 by Local Government Board Order from Child Okeford to Okeford Fitzpaine; it lies on the road from Sturminster Newton to Blandford, between Shillingstone and Sturminster Newton, and is equi-distant about 2 miles from the church of each. The hamlet is partly in the parish of Sturminster Newtion.

Post, M.O. & T. Office. Letters through Blandford

Post Office, Fiddleford. Letters through Blandford, Sturminster Newton nearest M.O. & T. office

Police Station

Carrier.-Charles Fripp, to Blandford, thurs. & Sturminster Newton alternate mon




(For T N's see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)

Dainton Thomas, Newhaven

Etheridge Rev. Frank (rector), Rectry

Miller Jasper, Yeatmans

Saunders Philip, Stresa

Sticklen John T., Cranleigh



Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over.

Adams Wltr. Jas. carpenter

Allen Edwd,. Thos. St Loe, farmer, St. Loe's farm

*Balch Regnld. Cecil Wilfred, farmer, Room & Hyle farms

Dimond Tom, farmer, Southlea farm, Lower Fifehead (postal address, Fifehead Neville, Sturminster Newton)

Elkins Geo. Insur, agt

Field Absolom William, threshing machine proprietor

Fox Joseph, blacksmith

Fripp Chas. motor car propr. Childe Okeford 26

Herrington Jas. farmer, Langston fm

Hilliar Frank, farmer, Rose Hill farm

Kingman Francis Henry, farmer, Bellease farm

Lemon Albert Jas. builder & contractor undertaker, carpenter, joiner & wheelwright

* Miller Hector, farmer, Pleydells & Yeatman's farms

Morley Frank, grocer, & post office. Childe Okeford 47

New Inn (Hy. Jas. Hallett)

Okeford Fitzpaine Brick & Tile Works (F. Cowley, mngr.) (postal address, Shillingstone, Blandford). Child Okeford 32

Okeford United Football Club (A. Trowbridge, sec)

Perceval Jn. Landsdowne M.R.C.S. Eng. , L.R.C.P. Lond. Physcn. & surgeon (attends tues.), Brooklyn

Perrett Edwin Percym farmer, Stroud farm

Phillis E. & Son, wholesale dairy produce merchants, Hill View dairies. T A “Phipson, Okeford Fitzpaine;” T N Child Okeford 4

Phillips Stanley Eli, farmr, Etheridge farm

Pope Frank Nevill, farmer, Thornhill farm

Pope Nellie L. (Miss), farmer, Longhills farm

Pope Wilfred, smallholder, Brookside

Reading Room (Parish Council) (H. Bayden, sec)

Ricketts Wltr. Farmer, Malthouse frm

Ricketts Wm. Chas. farmer, Garlands farm

Ridout Fras. H. farmer, Castle farm

Ridout Reginald Frank, farmer, horse contractor & tobacconist, Gorse farm (letters should be addressed Fifehead Neville, Sturminster Newton)

* Ridout Tom Rhesa, farmer, Mill & Sheephays farms

Rose Mary (Mrs), insur. agt

Rose Rt. Farmer, The Common

Royal Oak P.H. (Wm. Geo. Cole)

Trowbridge Adelbert Geo. wheelwrght

Trowbridge Annie (Miss), shopkpr

Trowbridge Edwd. motor car propr Child Okeford 50

Trowbridge Edwin Geo. Thatcher, Church farm

Trowbridge Herbt. Jas. farmer, Darknell house

Trowbridge Maurice, farmer, Knackers's Knole

Trowbridge Reuben Jn. R, farmer, Knowle farm

Trowbridge Rt. Chas, farmer, Stolfoll farm

Trowbridge Wltr, Jn. farmer, Bankhill, Okeford common

Woolridge Hy. & Wm. Frms, Merry gdn

Yeatman Maurice Jn. farmer, Lowbrook farm

Young Robert, boot & shoe maker




Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over.

Crew Cornelius, fishmngr

Cross William, farmer, Angers farm

Ridout Jas. Hilliar, grocer, & post office. Sturminster Newtion 65

* Rose Rd. Ivor, farmer

Trowbridge Regnld. E. farmer, Angers farm


Okeford Fitzpaine Page     OPC Page