Okeford Fitzpaine


Transcribed by Derek Stone

OKEFORD FITZPAINE is a parish and village 1¼ miles south-west from the Shillingstone station on the Midland and South Western Joint Railway, 7 north-west from Blandford and 3½ south-east from Sturminster Newton, in the Northern division of the county, hundred, petty sessional division and union of Stuminster Newton, county court district of Blandford, rural deanery of Sturminster Newton, archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury, Under the operation of the Divided Parishes Act, a portion of Belchalwall has for civil purposes only been added to this parish, and the remainder to Fifehead Neville. The church of St Andrewl is a building of stone in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles, north porch and embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 6 bells: the ancient stone pulpit, used as a font in the 18th century by the Rev. D. Butler, a former rector, has since been restored to its original purpose: there is a memorial window to the Rev. G. Rivers Hunter, 52 years rector here, and the west window was erected in 1914 in memory of the Rev. Robert Cholmeley Price, a former curate in charge, and of Florence his wife: the church was thoroughly restored in 1866 at a cost of over £2,000 and has 344 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1592: burials, 1593. and marriages, 1594.The living is a rectory, net income £331, with 64 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of A.E.L. Fox-Pitt esq, and held since 1914 by the Rev. Frank Etheridge. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists chapels here and a Wesleyan chapel at Fiddleford. The Reading Room was erected in 1910 by subscription. A charity of about £7 derived from land in Haslebury Bryant, is distributed annually in clothing amongst the poor. There are brick and tile belonging to A. E. Lane Fox-Pitt –Rivers esq, who is the lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is a deep sandy loam; subsoil, chalk, sand and clay: The land is chiefly in pasture, with some wheat, barley and roots. The area is 3,739 acres of land and 3 of water; rateable value, which includes a portion of Belchalwell (added by Local Government Board Order in 1884), £5,589; the population in 1911 was 686 in the civil and 565 in the ecclesiastical parish.

FIDDLEFORD is a hamlet, transferred in 1884 by Local Government Board Order from Child Okeford to Okeford Fitzpaine; it lies on the road from Sturminster Newton to Blandford, between Shillingstone and Sturminster Newton, and is equi-distant about 2 miles from the churches of each.

Parish Clerk, George Loder

Post, M, O, & T. Office – John T Sticklen, sub post-master,

Letters from Blandford

Post Office, Fiddleford- Mrs Harriet Louisa Ridout, sub-post-mistress

Letters from Blandford via Sturminster Newton

Sturminster Newton, 2½ miles distant, is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

Elementary School (mixed), built in 1873,

With residence for master, for 140 children:

Ernest Vercoe Haly, master

Miss C. F. Wilkinson, infants' mistress

Constable in Charge, Frederick Burroughs

Carrier- Wilfred Pope, to Blandford, thurs & sat




Bolt Archie, Parsonage

Etheridge Rev. Frank (rector), Rectory

Jacob James Thomas, Darknell Farm,

Phillips Miss Mabel, Hill View House

Phillips Mrs J Darknell House



Marked thus º farm 150 acres or over

Allen Tom, farmer, St Loe farm

Bastable E. M. (Mrs). New Inn

Broad, Geo. W. frmr, Lowbrook farm

Duffett Albert James, farmer,

English Albert, farmer, Bellease frm

Field Absolom William, threshing machine proprietor

Fox Joseph, blacksmith

Fripp Charles, Royal Oak P. H.

Harrington Herbt, frmr Langston farm

Hillier Tom, farmer

Loder & Lemon, carpenters

Loder Albert, carpenter, see Loder & Lemon

Malmesbury & Parsons Dairies Limited

Wholesale dairy produce merchants

(J. Thomas Jacob, manager), Hill View

º Miller Jasper, farmer, Room, Hyle & Stottfell farms

Okeford Fitzpaine Brick & Tile Works

(C. H. Phillips foreman)

(postal address, Fifehead Neville, Sturminster Newton)

Padfield Edwin, farmer, Southley farm

ºPhillips Arthur James, farmer, Playdell, Stroud & Darknell farms

Phillips, Eli Tom, frmr. Etheridge farm

Pope Charles, farmer

Pope Frank Nevill, farmer, Thornhill farm

Pope Wilfred, carrier, Brookside

Rawles Edward & Son, builders

Reading Room (Parish Council)

Ricketts Adelaide (Mrs), farmer Garlands farm

Ridout Francis, farmer, Castle fam

Rose Mary (Mrs), costumier

Rose Robert, farmer, Okeford Com

Savory Geo, Trim, farmer Knacker's knowls

Sticklen John T, grocer, Post Office

Todd Neville, farmer

Trowbridge Adelburt, Geo, wheelwright

Trowbridge Charles, thatcher, Okeford Common

Trowbridge Edwin George, thatcher

Trowbridge Geo, ironmonger, grocer, tea dealer, & fancy goods

Trowbridge Robt, thatcher, The Cross

Trowbridge Tom, farmer, Knacker's Knowle

Walsh Dennis, farmer, Rose Hill frm

Woolridge Henry & William, farmers, Merry gardens

Young Robert, boot & shoe maker



Adams Philip Charles, C.C.

Cressey Joseph, sack manufacturer

Cross William, Angers farm

Goddard William, cowpeeper

Lawrence Wm, Jas, farmer May cot

Rose Harry farmer

Rose Sidney, miller (water)

Trowbridge Robt, farmer, Angers frm

Okeford Fitzpaine Page     OPC Page