Okeford Fitzpaine


Transcribed for the OPC Project by Annette Rose


Okeford Fitzpaine is a parish and village 1-1/2 miles south-west from the Shillingstone station on the Midland and South Western joint railway, 7 north-west from Blandford and 4 south-east from Sturminster Newton, in the Northern division of the county, hundred, petty sessional division and union of Sturminster Newton, county court district of Blandford, rural deanery of Shaftesbury (Sturminster Newton portion), archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury. Under the operation of the Divided Parishes Act, a portion of the parish of Belchalwell has for civil purposes only been added to this parish, and the remainder to Fifehead Neville. The church of St. Michael is a building of stone in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles, north porch, and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 5 bells: the ancient stone pulpit, used as a font in the last century by the Rev. D. Butler, a former rector, has since been restored to its original purpose: there is a memorial window to the Rev. G. Rivers Hunter, 52 years rector here: the church was thoroughly restored in 1866 at a cost of over £2000, and has 344 sittings. The register dates from the year 5133. The living is a rectory, net income £382, with 74 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Lieut.-Gen. A.H.L, Fix-Pitt-Rivers, and held since 1872 by the Rev. John Henry Phillips B.A. of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge . There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels here and a Wesleyan chapel at Fiddleford. A charity of about £14.10s. derived from land in Haselbury Bryant, is divided every two years in clothing amongst the poor. There are brick and tile works belonging to Mr. Alfred Charles Todd. Lieut.-Gen. A.H.L. Fox-Pitt-Rivers F.R.S., F.S.A. of Rushmore, is lord of the manor and chief landowner, The soil is a deep sandy loam ; subsoil, chalk, sand and clay. The land is chiefly in pasture, with some wheat, barley and roots. The area is 3,739 acres; rateable vale, which includes a portion of Belchalwell (added by Local Government Board Order in 1884), £5,599; the population in 1891 was 687 in the civil and 557 in the ecclesiastical parish.

Fiddleford is a hamlet, transferred in 1884 by Local Government Board Order from Child Okeford to Okeford Fitzpaine; it lies on the road from Sturminster Newton to Blandford, between Shillingstone and Sturminster Newton, and is equi-distant about 2 miles from the churches of each.

Parish Clerk, George Loder

Post & M.O.O., S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office - James Strange, sub-postmaster. Letters from Blandford arrive at 7 a.m. & 2.30 p.m. ; dispatched at 11.50 a.m. & 6.15 p.m. ; sunday, arrive at 7 a.m. & dispatched at 11.30 a.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Shillingstone, 2 miles distant.

Post Office, Fiddleford. – James Ridout, sub-post-master. Letters from Blandford arrive at 6.10 a.m. ; dispatched at 6.40 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Sturminster Newton, 3 miles distant.

National School (mixed), built in 1873, with residence for master, for 140 children; average attendance, 105; James Head, master; Mrs Elizabeth Head, infants mistress

Carrier. - Frank Pope, to Blandford, wed. & sat


Andrews Miss

Andrews Mrs

Phillips Rev. Jn. Henry B.A. (rector)

Todd Alfred Charles



Adams Rosana (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Allen. Joseph, farmer

Allen, Tom, farmer

Andrews William, farmer, Darknell frm

Broad, George, farmer

Field, Walter, threshing machine propr

Hallett William, farmer

Harrington Thomas, dairyman

Hilliar John, sen. farmer

Hilliar John, New inn

Hilliar Thomas, miller (water)

Loder George, carpenter

Miller Jasper, farmer, Room farm

Mullett Samuel, hay & straw dealer

Phillips Edward, butter & cheese factr

Phillips Eli Tom, frmr. Etheridge frm

Phillips Joseph, farmer, Stroud farm

Pope Frank, carrier

Pope Joseph, tailor

Rawles Edward, builder

Read Harriett (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Ridout Alfred James, coal merchant

Ridout Elizabeth (Mrs.), hay dealer & farmer, Garland

Ridout John, hay dealer

Ridout Selina (Mrs.), farmer

Ridout William, hay dealer

Stickland Ann (Mrs.), farmer

Strange James, boot & shoe maker & post officer

Strange Jane (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Thorne Joshua, boot & shoe maker

Tizzard William, blacksmith

Todd Aldfred Charles, brick & tile manufacturer & farmer

Trent William, hay dealer

Trowbridge William, hay dealer

Trowbridge Geo. Carpenter & ironmngr

Trowbridge James, carpenter

Trowbridge Tom, farmer

Wareham Alfred, grocer

Woolfrey George, Royal Oak P.H.

Woolridge Annie, (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Young Robert, boot & shoe maker



Adams Phillips Charles, brewer, maltster & farmer

Caines Thomas, stone mason

Cressey Joseph, carpenter & shopkeeper

Cross Henry, dairyman, Angers farm

Furnell George, shopkeeper

Maidment Stephen, shopkeeper

Ridout James, shopkeeper. Post office

Rose Mary (Mrs.), miller (water)

Topp Charles, butcher

Wilds William, farmer


Okeford Fitzpaine Page     OPC Page