Okeford Fitzpaine


Transcribed by Derek Stone

OKEFORD FITZPAINE is a parish and village in the hundred, petty sessional division and union of Stuminster Newton, county court district of Blandford, rural deanery of Shaftesbury fourth portion, archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury, 1½ miles south-west from Shillingstone station on the Somerset and Dorset railway, 7 north- west from Blandford and 4 south-east from Sturminster Newton. The church of St Michael is in the Decorated and Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave and aisles: it was thoroughly restored in 1866 at a cost of over £2,000 and contains an ancient stone pulpit, which was turned into a font about a hundred years ago by the then rector (Rev D Butler), but again replaced at the last restoration: three stained windows have recently been placed in the chancel, representing the closing scenes of Our Lord's life: the centre one is to the memory of the late rector. The register dates from the year 1533. The living is a rectory; the tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £490, with residence and glebe of 74 acres, in the gift of Lord Rivers and held by the Rev. John Henry Phillips B.A. of Corpus Christi college, Cambridge. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have places of worship here. There is a charity of about £15, and the interest 0f £20 derived from land, divided every two years in clothing amongst the poor. Bricks are made here. Lord Rivers is lord of the manor and Chief landowner. The soil is a deep dsandy loam; subsoil, chalk, sand and clay: The crops are chiefly grass, with some wheat, barley and roots. The area is 2,633 acres; rateable value £4,427; the population in 1871 was 701.

FIDDLEFORD is a hamlet, chiefly in this parish but partly in the parishes of Child Okeford and Sturminster Newton: it lies on the Blandford road, between Shillingstone and Sturminster Newton, and is equidistant about 2 miles from the churches of each.

Parish Clerk, Louis Loder

Post Office – James Strange, receiver.

Letters from Blandford arrive at 7 a.m.

Dispatched at 6.30 p.m.

The nearest money order office is at Shillingstone

National School,

James Head, master

Mrs Agnes Head, infants' mistress


Okeford Fitzpaine.

Phillips Rev. John Henry B.A. [rector]

Radclyffe Rev. William Frederick

Todd Alfred Charles



Allen Joseph, farmer

Allen Thomas, farmer

Andrews Levi, farmer

Broad George, farmer

Cooke Alfred, miller

Ford Thomas, farmer

Goff George, pig dealer

Hallett Joseph, farmer

Hallett William, farmer

Lambert George, butcher

Loder Louis, carpenter

Mullett Samuel, hay dealer

Percy William, shoe maker

Phillips Edwd, grocer & general dealer

Phillips Elizabeth (Mrs), farmer

Phillips Joseph, cheese & butter factor & farmer

Pope Joseph, tailor

Ridout Benjamin Boyt, farmer

Ridout Fred, hay dealer

Ridout James, farmer

Ridout Sarah (Mrs), farmer

Ridout William, shopkeeper

Roberts George, farmer

Rose Benjamin, dairyman

Rose Thomas, New Inn

Ross Robert, farmer

Ross William, farmer, Southley

Sticklen William, cattle dealer

Strange James, boot & shoe maker

Thorne Joshua, boot & shoe maker

Tizzard William, blacksmith

Todd Alfred Charles, brick & tile manufacturer & farmer

Trent Matthew, farmer

Trowbridge Edward, carpenter

Wareham James, grocer

Woolfrey George, Royal Oak

Young Joseph, boot & shoe maker



Adams Philip Chas, brewer & maltster

Caines James, Travellers Rest

Cressey Silas, fellmonger

Rose Samuel, miller

Swain John, gamekeeper to W.W Connopp seq

Topp Charles, butcher

White William, blacksmith

Wilds William & Son, wood dealers


Okeford Fitzpaine Page     OPC Page