Melbury Osmond

Melbury Osmond is 6 miles south of Yeovil and 12 miles north west of Dorchester close to the parishes of Melbury Bubb and Melbury Sampford. The church dedicated to St Osmund is in the Gothic stye with five bells. The church was restored in 1888 by the 5th Earl of Ilchester during which time a Norman font of Ham Hill stone was found built into the masonary, the chancel was lengthened in 1910. The registers date from 1550.

The village is mentioned in the Domesday Book as a possession of the Arundell family, and remained so until the 19th century. It is sited on Cornbrash limestone soil, with adjacent Oxford clay. Within the clay can be found deposits of stone which can take on a very high polish, earning them the name "Melbury marble".

Thomas Hardy's mother lived in Melbury Osmond as a child, and the village appears in his novel The Woodlanders as "Little Hintock" (the heroine's name is "Grace Melbury").

All photographs Jeff Hurlstone



The post of Online Parish Clerk (OPC) is currently vacant
If you would like to volunteer for the role, please contact the OPC Project Co-ordinator
Contributions of additional resource materials for the site are always welcome


Census 1801 transcribed by Keith Searson
1841 transcribed by Mari Viertel
1851
1861
transcribed by John Ridout
1871
transcribed by Lynne Penny
1891 transcribed by John Ridout
Parish Registers/Bishops Transcripts Baptisms 1731 - 1880 [BT] transcribed by Ralph Kent
Marriages 1731 - 1836 [BT] transcribed by Ralph Kent
Burials 1731 - 1880 [BT] transcribed by Ralph Kent
Monumental Inscriptions St. Osmunds
Links Melbury Osmond Village website [External]
Maps The 1891 Ordnance Survey maps of the parish can be seen at the old-maps site, just enter 'Melbury Osmond' under place search

OPC PAGE

Visitors to Dorset OPC

shopify site analytics

Privacy Policy

Copyright (c) 2017 Dorset OPC Project