Melbury Abbas


Melbury Abbas
is a scattered parish on the road from Shaftesbury to Blandford. The church of St Thomas was rebuilt in 1851 by Sir R G Glyn bart. It is built of stone and comprises a chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch and turreted tower, it seats 300 people and the registers date from 1716. There was a charity given by the Rev. Grove of 4. 4s. to be expended yearly on blankets for the poor [see below].

The parish consists of 2276 acres and the chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and beans. There is limestone which is quarried and burnt. There is a post office and a National School which was built near the church in 1868. The population in 1891 was 288 persons.

Details taken from Kelly's Directory 1895. Photographs Dorinda Miles. Right, the School



The post of Online Parish Clerk (OPC) is currently vacant
If you would like to volunteer for the role, please contact the OPC Project Co-ordinator
Contributions of additional resource materials for the site are always welcome


Census Transcription of the 1841 Census by Ron Adams
Transcription of the 1851 Census by Karen Satterthwaite
Transcription of the 1861 Census by Ron Adams
Transcription of the 1871  Census by Ron Adams
Transcription of the 1881 Census by Karen Satterthwaite
Transcription of the 1891 Census by Karen Satterthwaite
Transcription of the 1901 Census by Karen Satterthwaite
Parish Registers Transcribed from the Bishop's Transcripts by Ralph Kent.
Transcription of Baptisms 1731-1880
Transcription of Marriages  1731-1848
Transcription of Burials 1731-1880
Postal Directories Harrod's 1865, Kelly's 1880 & 1895
Other Records Wills proven at Blandford
Biography - William Henry Fox Talbot
St Thomas Church Monumental Inscriptions index by Jan Hibberd
Maps The 1891 Ordnance Survey maps of the parish can be seen at the old-maps site, just enter 'Melbury Abbas' under place search.
For modern location maps visit:-  www.multimap.com or click on the thumbnail on the left for a 1920's map showing the location of the parish


Churchyard gate & porch with War Memorial plaque at the side


The will of Rev. W F Grove, who left money for charitable purposes

Various headstones in the church yard, the ones on the left to the DIBBEN family.


OPC PAGE

Visitors to Dorset OPC

shopify site analytics

Privacy Policy

Copyright (c) 2017 Dorset OPC Project