Transcribed from the Parish Register by Sally Beadle
Many of the early Mapperton Parish Records on Microfilm are in very poor condition. Some appear to have been written on odd scraps of paper which, by the time they were photographed, were often torn, faded and affected by damp. The handwriting of the people who made the entries was often not very neat, did not improve with the age of particular Rectors and was sometimes almost completely illegible. The births, marriages and burials are mixed up together with other parish records thrown into the mix. The result was really rather charming and these transcriptions, although they separate out the various records, have consequently tried, where possible, to keep the varied layout, format, wording and spelling as they appear on the original records.
Until 1752, when the Gregorian Calendar was introduced, the Julian Calendar was used. This started the year on 25th March, instead of 1st January. Therefore, under the Julian Calendar, records from January to 25th March of any year actually belong to what we would now consider to be the previous year. This is sometimes shown in records as, say, 1690/1. Otherwise, where, for example, December 1688 is followed by January/February/March 1688, rather than 1689, this is not a typing or transcription error, but as it was set out in the Parish records, according to the Julian Calendar.
Written in the margin of the records:
See also the Bound Register (?) ??? ??? 1679.
Anno Domini 1669. Robert ye sonn of Richard BRODREPP Esq and Katharine his wife was buried March the 30th.
Thomas ye sonn of William KNIGHT and Alice his wife was buried September 19th Anno Dom. 1669.
Richard ye sonn of Richard BRODREPP Esq and of Katherine his wife was buried December 27th Anno Domini 1669.
Robert ROPER was buried May ye 24th An. Dom. 1670.
Judith SIMMONS was buried March ye 28th 1672 (?)
Widdow/er (?) PHILPS of Mithe was buried April 2nd 1673.
Mrs Katharine BRODREPP was buried May 29th Anno Domini 1679.
Mathew KNIGHT was buried Aprill ye 4th 1680.
Ann MINTERNE of Coltly was buried Jan (?) 2nd 1680.
ANNO DOMINI 1679
Joane ye wife of John WARD was buried January ye last 1685.
John ye son of John KNIGHT was buried July 30th 1686.
Julian ye daughter of Thomas KNIGHT was buried July ye 20th (1686).
Susanna WARD ye daughter of John WARD was buried Aug 8th 1686.
Mr BILLERSBY (?) was buried Novemb. 28th (?) 1686.
Philip GREGORY was buried Novemb. 21. 1687.
Roger KNIGHT ye son of Henry KNIGHT was buried September ye last (?) 1688.
Edith ye wife of Thomas KNIGHT Jnr (?) was buried Sep. (?) 28 (?) A. D. 1690
Agnes ye wife of William KNIGHT dyed January ye 2nd and was buried January 4th 1690.
Alice KNIGHT ye wife of William KNIGHT was buried ye first day of January 1690.
Sicily TURNER was buried Aprill ye 18th (?) 1694. An Affidavit brought ye 22nd day of Aprill – she was buried in Woollen. Anno Domini 1694.
Robert HAYWARD was buried August ye 16. 1694.
Robert HAYWARD was buried August ye 26th (?) Anno Domini 1696.
John BIRT was buried July ye 11th 1697.
Ann ye wife of Thomas KNIGHT of Mithe was buried Feb. ye 6th 1697.
Mris Jane MUNDEN ye wife of Mr Richard MUNDEN was buried March ye 2nd 1697.
John KNIGHT of Mithe was buried March ye 13th 1697.
Bernard BANGER Rector of Mapperton was Buryed April the 17th 1698.
Ann HAYWARD of Coltly was Buryed April the 26th 1698.
Eleanor (?) BROWNE also (?) CARTER was buryed at Netherbury the 21st October 1698.
Ann the daughter of Thomas KNIGHT Jnr (?) was Buryed at Netherbury January 8th 1698.
Anne the wife of Thomas ANDREWES (?) was Buryed at ??? the 13th Day of May 1699.
Richard MOORES of this parish was buryed at Netherbury (?) on the 31st day of March 1700.
John and Joane the Son and Daughter of John and Susannah PITMAN of this parish Buryed at Toller Porcorum (?) on Sunday the 24th day of November Anno Domini 1700.
Dorcas BURT wid. Of this parish was Buryed the 13th day of March Anno Dom. 1700 at Netherbury.
11. Buried at Netherbury Christian the Daughter of Thomas KNIGHT of Mieth Day Labourer and Julian his wife.
6. Buried Mrs Mary BRODREPP from Mapperton at Netherbury.
4. Buried Richard BRODREPP Esq. of Mapperton.
13. Buried at Mapperton Philippa the wife of Mr John POWELL Rector of Mapperton.
14. Buried Mrs Elizabeth BRODREPP wife of Robert Brodrepp Esqr of Mapperton.
31. Buried Elizabeth HAYWARD (?) at Netherbury.
14. Buried Robert BRODREPP Esqr from Mapperton.
28. Buried at Netherbury Mrs Jane COMBE wife of Mr Brian COMBE of Mapperton.
22. Buried John MITCHEL from Mapperton at Netherbury.
13. Buried Mrs Elizabeth BRODREPP wife of Richard BRODREPP Esqr of Mapperton.
13. Buried at Netherbury Henry KNIGHT from Mieth, Cleark of the Parish.
13. Buried Alice KNIGHT of this Parish at Powerstock.
29. Buried Edith KNIGHT of this parish at Netherbury.
17. Buried Etheldred the Daughter of Richard BRODREPP Esqr of Maperton and Hester his wife.
18. Buried at Netherbury John the son of Thomas LEGG of Mieth and Edith his wife.
26. Buried at Mapperton Hester the Daughter of Mr Thomas and Mrs Elizabeth BRODREPP of Melplash.
12. Buried Thomas KNIGHT Snr (?) from Mieth at Netherbury.
26. Buried at Mapperton Elizabeth the wife of Mr John POWELL, Rector.
7. Buried at Netherbury Ruth KNIGHT from Mieth.
29. Buried Anne the wife of Mr Brian COMBE of this Parish at Netherbury.
9. Buried Mary the wife of William BARGE from Mieth Mill at Netherbury.
5th - Buryed Mr John POWELL Rector of Mapperton in the Belfrey of the parish Church of Mapperton. M. John GALPIN.
21st - Buryed John the son of Henry LEG and Anne his wife of this parish at Netherbury.
17th - Buryed Thomas LEGG the Elder of this parish at Netherbury.
8th - Buryed Mr Brian COMBE of this Parish at Netherbury.
OCTOBER. 24. 1737
24th - Buried then in Linnen, in the Chancel of the Church of South Mapperton, the Body of Richard BRODREPP Esqr.
N.B. The Penalty of Five Pounds was paid within the Time, specified by Act of Parliament.
NOVEMBER. 30. 1739
30th - Buried then in Linnen, in the Chancel of the Church of South Mapperton, the Body of George BRODREPP, Esquire.
N.B. An Affidavit made thereof, and a Warrant issued out for the payment of the Penalty specified by Act of Parliament.
FEBRUARY 17: 1739/40
- Buryed Thomas KNIGHT the Elder of this parish at Netherbury.
MAY 8 1762
Jane BRODREP – buried.
Richard BRODREPP Esqr buried Aug. 5 1774
Harriet Daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth FOX buried Oct 28th 1786
Ann Daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth FOX buried Feb. 16. 1790
MAPPERTON PAGE | OPC HOME PAGE