Hilton is a parish and a village 8 miles west-south-west from Blandford, situated in a valley not far from Milton Abbey. Many Roman coins and artefacts have been found in the parish and on Bulbarrow hill there is a Celtic hill fort.

There is evidence of a church existing at this location since Saxon and Norman times. The present church of All Saints probably dates from the 15th century although it incorporates some earlier masonry. The windows and North wall are said to have been brought from the cloisters of Milton Abbey after the dissolution.

The church also contains some fine medieval paintings from the late 15th century that also came from the Abbey. The church underwent the usual Victorian restoration in 1891. The church registers date from 1603.

The 2,953 acres are chalk, sand and clay and are mainly laid down to pasture although some corn used to be grown. A National School was built in the village in 1863, in 1891 the population was 567 persons. The nearby hamlet of Ansty used to have a large brewery which gave employment.

The post of Online Parish Clerk (OPC) is currently vacant
If you would like to volunteer for the role, please contact the OPC Project Co-ordinator
Contributions of additional resource materials for the site are always welcome

[Thanks to David Stone for his earlier work]

Census 1841 Census
1851 Census
1861 Census
1871 Census
1881 Census
1891 Census
Parish Registers
The parish registers date from 1603, the following have been transcribed so far:
Baptisms   1603-1700, 1701-1812 [Kim Parker] 1861 [Terry Smith]
Marriages  1603-1754, 1755-1840 [Kim Parker]
Burials       1603-1700, 1701-1812, 1813-1832, 1833-1901, 1901-2001
                 [Kim Parker/Jan Hibberd/Beki House]
Bishops Transcripts Baptisms 1731-1812, 1813-1844, 1845-1880 [Some missing years]
Marriages 1731-1837
Postal Directories
War Memorial Parish Roll of Honour
Rectors A full list of Rectors of the Parish
Monumental Inscriptions Monumental Inscriptions index
Wills Index of Wills of Hilton Residents [Kim Parker]
Will of Thomas Kaynes, Gentleman 1731
Will of Thomas Kaynes, Gentleman 1764
Will of John House, Blacksmith 1771
Other Records Protestation Returns 1641-2 [Kim Parker]
Photographs A collection of photographs of the church & village.
Maps The 1891 Ordnance Survey maps of the parish can be seen at the old-maps site, just enter 'Hilton' under place search.
For modern location maps visit:-  www.multimap.com


Visitors to Dorset OPC

shopify site analytics

Privacy Policy

Copyright (c) 2018 Dorset OPC Project