Dorset OPC

Hilfield

Dorset OPC

Hilfield [or Hillfield] is a parish 12 miles north-west from Dorchester. In the 19th century it was described as a widely scattered village, today the term 'village' is hardly appropriate. Hilfield Church was until 1848, a Chapel served from Sydling and is first mentioned in 1310. In 1848 at the request of the parishioners Hilfield was separated from Sydling and the little church was restored. The children used to attend the school at  Hermitage. The registers date from 1565. The 1584 acres are mainly laid to pasture. The population in 1891 was 133.


St Nicholas Church, Hilfield
Dorset OPC 2011



The post of Online Parish Clerk (OPC) is currently vacant
If you would like to volunteer for the role, please contact the OPC Project Co-ordinator
Contributions of additional resource materials for the site are always welcome


Census 1841 [Mari Viertel]
1851 [Jon Baker]
1861 [Royston Clarke]
1871 [Christel Muncaster]
1881 [Christel Muncaster]
1891 [Christel Muncaster]
1901 [Christel Muncaster]
1911 [Christel Muncaster]
Parish Registers Baptisms 1851-1900 [Christel Muncaster]
Marriages 1849-1925 [Christel Muncaster]
Burials 1851-1978 [Christel Muncaster]
Postal Directories  
Photographs More Photographs  of the church and surrounding area are available
Monumental Inscriptions Monumental Inscription index
Maps The 1881 Ordnance Survey maps of the parish can be seen at the old-maps site, just enter 'Hilfield' under place search.
HilfieldMap.jpg (113958 bytes) For modern location maps visit:  www.multimap.com
For a 1920s map of the area click on the thumbnail opposite [191kb]

OPC PAGE

Visitors to Dorset OPC

shopify site analytics

Privacy Policy

Copyright (c) 2017 Dorset OPC Project