Haydon

Haydon is a parish on the border with Somerset and is two miles south east of Sherborne. To the north west and west are the parishes of Purse Caundle and Stourton Caundle, to the south is Folke. North Wootton is to the west and Sherborne forms the north west boundary.

The little church of St Catherine was entirely rebuilt on a new site in 1883 by Carpenter & Ingelow. It has now been converted for residential use. The registers date from 1708. The parish is 468 acres, mostly laid to pasture and the population in 1891 was 71 persons.

Boys Hill near Glanvilles Wootton was formerly a detached part of Haydon Parish



The post of Online Parish Clerk (OPC) is currently vacant
If you would like to volunteer for the role, please contact the OPC Project Co-ordinator
Contributions of additional resource materials for the site are always welcome


Census 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871
Parish Registers Any donations of complete years are welcome.
Baptisms 1813-1846 [Barrie Cross/Jon Baker]
Bishops Transcripts Marriages 1813-1846 [Barrie Cross]
Burials 1813-1846 [Barrie Cross]
Postal Directories  
Monumental Inscriptions Monumental Inscriptions index for St Catherine's church
Maps The 1881 Ordnance Survey maps of the parish can be seen at the old-maps site, just enter 'Haydon' under place search.
For modern location maps visit:-  www.multimap.com
External Link to Map indicating Parish boundaries
Records held at the Dorset History Centre Baptisms 1711-1969; Marriages 1712-1959; Burials 1711-1976; Banns 1869-1968

OPC PAGE

Visitors to Dorset OPC

shopify site analytics

Privacy Policy

Copyright (c) 2017 Dorset OPC Project