Fifehead Neville is a leafy village and
civil parish in the Vale of Blackmore about 2 miles Southwest of
Sturminster Newton and 14 miles North-Northeast of Dorchester. The
first part of the name,‘Fifehead’, is a corruption of “five hides”,
which is how the estate was assessed in the Domesday Book of 1086.
A hide was originally the amount of land that would support one
free family and its dependents – this varied in different parts of
the country, but was typically 48 acres in Wessex. The later addition
of ‘Neville’ is manorial from William de Neville, who originated from
Neuville in France and in the early 1200s married local heiress Isabel
de Walerand, a descendant of Waleran the Hunter who held the estate
at the time of the Domesday Survey.
In 1880 and 1903, not far from the Mill, the remains
of two wings of a Roman villa were found, complete with floor mosaics,
hypocaust system and a horde of tools and early Christian jewellery. Many
of the artefacts are now on display at the Dorset County Museum at Dorchester.
Also of note in the parish is a medieval packhorse bridge over a ford in the
river, one of only three in the county (the other two being at Rampisham and
Tarrant Monkton). The bridge is 6ft (1.83m) wide with two distinctive
pointed arches 6ft (1.83m) tall.
1841 Census [Mari Viertel]
1851 Census [Ron Adams]
1861 Census [Ron Adams]
1871 Census [Ron Adams]
1881 Census [Nicola Pomroy]
1891 Census [Ron Adams]
1901 Census [Nicola Pomroy]
Marriages 1573-1841 [Kim Parker]
|Trade & Postal Directories|
|Other Records||Transfer of Fifehead St Quinton from Belchalwell to Fifehead Neville Parish in 1920 [Kim Parker]|
Monumental Inscriptions (Church)
Monumental Inscriptions (Cemetery) [Brian Webber]
|Records held at the Dorset History Centre
Christenings 1573-1640, 1646-1651, 1670-1999.
Marriages 1573-1640, 1670-1710, 1718-1807, 1815-1996.
Burials 1573-1640, 1670-1998.
Visitors to Dorset OPC
Copyright (c) 2017 Dorset OPC Project