Chilcombe

 

Chilcombe
By Julie Browning 2007

Chilcombe is a tiny hamlet on the northern side of the Bride Valley 5 miles south east of Bridport. The small Chapel is in the Old English style with parts dating from the 12th century 30 feet long at most it has just one bell.

The manor house, now demolished was built by the Bishop family before 1578 known from an inscribed stone which was once above the north door of the manor and inscribed as follows:- Anno Dni. 1578 John Bysshop, Elnr Bysshop.

The Church is now part of the yard of the present farm; there is a small burial ground which must have been bigger at some time as bones have been found in an area to the west of the church.



The post of Online Parish Clerk (OPC) is currently vacant
If you would like to volunteer for the role, please contact the OPC Project Co-ordinator
Contributions of additional resource materials for the site are always welcome


Census 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901
Parish Registers & Bishops Transcripts Baptisms
1748-1878


Marriages
1749-1828


Burials
1752-1936

Photographs Photos by Julie Browning 2007
Other Records Monumental Inscriptions
Records held at the Dorset History Centre
PE/CHC
(for records before 1748 see Askerswell)
Registers
Christenings 1748-1984, 1993. Marriages 1748-1803, 1813-1828, 1840-1950. Burials 1752-1807, 1825-1932, 1990. Banns 1828-1913, 1990.

Transcripts
Marriages 1748/9-1828.

Indexes
Christenings 1748-1811, 1813-1837. Burials 1813-1990.

OPC PAGE

Visitors to Dorset OPC

shopify site analytics

Privacy Policy

Copyright (c) 2017 Dorset OPC Project