Cheselbourne

Directories

Transcribed by Andrew Cornwall

1855   1859   1889   1895   1915

 

Post Office Directory 1855

 

CHESELBOURNE, or CHESELBORNE, is a parish and small village, 8 miles north-east from Dorchester, 8 north-west of Bere Regis, and 9 south-west from Blandford, in the Union and division of Cerne, and diocese of Salisbury. The church is a Gothic structure, with a small organ, tower, and 5 bells. The living is a rectory, in the gift of Lord Rivers, and is enjoyed by the Rev. Thomas Wickham Birch, M.A. Here is a free school, built by the rector and supported by him. Population, in 1851, was 408; acres 2,580.

YETMAN’S BARN is 1 mile west; Hyde Hill, 1 mile east. On the stream is a mill.

Birch Rev. Thomas Wickham M.A. (rector)

Baker Esau, farmer

Baker William, blacksmith

BussellCharles, mason

Caines James, farmer

Davis Charles, farmer

Davis Edward, farmer

Decker Samuel, carpenter

Hall Martha (Miss), mistress of Free school

Hillier Frances (Mrs.), shoemaker

Kingsbury John, farmer

KingsburyRobert, carpenter & shopkeeper

Mullet Joseph, carpenter

Riggs Levi, farmer

Shepard Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Tett George, farmer & miller

 

Letters received from Dorchester via Piddletown. The nearest money order office is at Dorchester.

Free School, Miss Martha Hall, mistress


 

Post Office Directory 1859

 

CHESELBOURNE, or CHESELBORNE, is a parish and small village, 8 mile north-east from Dorchester, 8 north-west of Bere Regis, and 9 south-west from Blandford, in the Union and division of Cerne, and diocese of Salisbury, Dorchester county court district, archdeaconry of Dorset, and deanery of Whitechurch. The church is a Gothic structure, with a small organ, square embattled tower, and 5 bells. The living is a rectory, annual value 254, with residence, in the gift of Lord Rivers, and is enjoyed by the Rev. Thomas Wickham Birch, M.A. Here is a free school, built by the rector and supported by him. Population, in 1851, was 408; acres 2,580.

YETMAN’S BARN is 1 mile west; Hyde Hill, 1 mile east. On the stream is a mill.

Birch Rev. Thomas Wickham M.A. (rector)

COMMERCIAL

Baker Esau, farmer

Barnett Joseph, shopkeeper

BussellCharles, mason

Caines James, farmer

Coats Phillis (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Davis Charles, farmer

Davis Edward, farmer

Decker Samuel, carpenter

Hall Martha (Miss), mistress of Free school

Hall Michael, blacksmith, & parish clerk

Kingsbury John, farmer

KingsburyRobert, carpenter & shopkeeper

Mullet William, carpenter

Riggs Levi, farmer

ShepardMary(Mrs.), shopkeeper

Shepard Peter, boat & shoe maker

Tett George, farmer & miller

 

Letters received from Dorchester via Piddletown. The nearest money order office is at Piddletown.

Free School, Miss Martha Hall, mistress


 

Kelly’s Dorsetshire Directory 1889

 

CHESILBORNE is a parish and small village, 8 miles north-east from Dorchester station, 8 north-west from Bere Regis and 11 south-west from Blandford, in the Western division of the county, Whiteway hundred, Cerne petty sessional division and union, Dorchester county court district, rural deanery of Whitchurch Bere Regis portion, archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury. The church of St. Martin is an ancient flint and stone Gothic structure, consisting of chancel, nave and aisles, north and south porches and square embattled tower, with pinnacles, containing 5 bells: it was restored in 1875, and has 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1560.  The living is a rectory, net yearly value 275, including 45 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Lieut.-Gen. A. H. L. Fox-Pitt-Rivers, and held since 1873 by the Rev. Charles Barton B.A. of Trinity College, Dublin. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel, erected in 1866. Lieut.-Gen. A. H. L. Fox-Pitt-Rivers D.C.L., F.R.S. is lord of the manor and the principal landowner. The soil is a thin loam on chalk. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley, and some land in pasture. The area is 2,580 acres; rateable value, 2,003; the population in 1881 was 353.

By a Local Board Government Order, which came into operation March 25, 1882, a detached part of Milton Abbas, known as Liscombe, in the Blandford union, was amalgamated with this parish.

YETMAN’S BARN is one mile west.

HYDE HILL, one mile east.

Sexton, Thomas Arnold.

POST OFFICE.-Jn. Riggs, receiver. Letters from Dorchester, via Puddletown, arrive 7.10 a.m.; despatched at 5.30 p.m. week days only.
The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Puddletown.

Here is a school under the sole control of the rector; built in 1861, for 80 children; average attendance, 35; Miss Emily Flew, mistress.

CARRIER TO DORCHESTER.- Philip Cleal, wed. & sat.

Barton Rev. Charles B.A. (rector)

COMMERCIAL

Baker James, shopkeeper

Chapman Francis, farmer

Cleal Philip, carrier

Davis Henry, shopkeeper

Mullett William, farmer & shopkeeper

Riggs John, wheelwright & blacksmith

Rolls Joseph Kellaway, farmer, Liscombe farm

Shepard Peter, farmer & shoe maker

Shepherd John, farmer, Manor farm

Thorne Levi, farmer

Thorne Sarah Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Bramblecombe farm

Upshall Marwood, The Rivers’ Arms P.H. & blacksmith


 

Kelly’s Dorsetshire Directory 1895

 

CHESILBORNE is a parish and small village, 8 miles north-east from Dorchester station, on the Great Western and London and South Western railway, 8 north-west from Bere Regis, and 11 south-west from Blandford, in the Western division of the county, Whiteway hundred, Cerne petty sessional division and union, Dorchester county court district, rural deanery of Whitchurch (Bere Regis portion), archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury. The church of St. Martin is an ancient flint and stone Gothic structure, consisting of chancel, nave and aisles, north and south porches and square embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 5 bells: it was restored in 1875, and has 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a rectory, average tithe-rent charge 243, gross income 323, net 251, including 45 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Lieut.-Gen. A. H. L. Fox-Pitt-Rivers, and held since 1873 by the Rev. Charles Barton B.A. of Trinity College, Dublin. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel, erected in 1866. Lieut.-Gen. A. H. L. Fox-Pitt-Rivers D.C.L., F.R.S. is lord of the manor and the principal landowner. The soil is a thin loam on chalk. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley, and some land in pasture. The area is 2,580 acres; rateable value, 1,977; the population in 1891 was 256.

By a Local Board Government Order, which came into operation March 25, 1882, a detached part of Milton Abbas, known as Lypscombe, in the Blandford union, was amalgamated with this parish.

Yetman’s Barn is one mile west.

Hyde Hill, one mile east.

Sexton, Thomas Arnold.

POST OFFICE.-Jn. Riggs, sub-postmaster. Letters from Dorchester, via Puddletown, arrive 7.20 a.m.; despatched at 5.25 p.m.
week days only. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Melcombe Bingham.

Here is a school under the sole control of the rector; built in 1861, for 80 children; average attendance, 40; Miss Kate Sperring, mistress.

Carrier To Dorchester.- Philip Cleal, wed. & sat.

Barton Rev. Charles B.A. (rector)

Bennet Richard Cave

COMMERCIAL

Chapman Francis, farmer

Cleal Philip, carrier

Davis Henry, shopkeeper

Kellaway Charles, dairyman

Mitchell Richd. The Rivers Arms P.H.

Mullett William, farmer & shopkeeper

Riggs John, wheelwright & blacksmith, Post office

Rolls Joseph Kellaway, farmer, Liscombe farm

Shepard John, farmer, Manor farm

Thorne Edward, farmer, Bramblecombe farm

Thorne Levi, farmer


 

Kelly’s Dorsetshire Directory 1915

 

CHESILBORNE (or Cheselbourne) is a parish and small village, 8 miles north-east from Dorchester station, on the Great Western and London and South Western railway, 8 north-west from Bere Regis, and 11 south-west from Blandford, in the Western division of the county, Whiteway hundred, Cerne petty sessional division and union, Dorchester county court district, rural deanery of Whitchurch (Bere Regis portion), archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury. The church of St. Martin is an ancient edifice of flint and stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, north and south porches and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 5 bells: it was restored in 1875, and has 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1560. The church plate consists of an Elizabethan cup with cover, dated 1574, and two patens, the larger of 18th century date, and the smaller the gift in 1910 of the Rev. T. O. Marshall B.A. of Teddington, Middlesex. The living is a rectory, net income 290, including 44 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of A. E. L. Fox-Pitt-Rivers esq. and held since 1913 by the Rev. Frederick Sheriff Beale M.A. of Durham University. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel, erected in 1866. A. E. L. Fox-Pitt-Rivers esq. is lord of the manor and the principal landowner. The soil is a thin loam on chalk. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley, and some land in pasture. The area is 3,031 acres; rateable value, 1,451; the population in 1911 was 233. in the civil and 219 in the ecclesiastical parish.

By a Local Government Board Order, which came into operation March 25, 1882, a detached part of Milton Abbas, known as Lyscombe, in the Blandford union, was amalgamated with this parish for civil purposes only.

YETMAN’S BARN is 1 mile west; HYDE HILL, 1 mile east.

Sexton Henry Davis.

Post Office.-Henry Davis, sub-postmaster. Letters from Dorchester, via Puddletown, arrive 7.20 a.m. & 2.15 p.m.; despatched at 5.30 p.m. week days only. Melcombe Bingham, 2 miles distant, is the nearest money order and telegraph office.

Here is a school, formerly under the sole control of the rector, but now under the Local Education Committee; a new school was built in 1908, for 60 children; Miss Mabel Walker, mistress.

Carrier To Dorchester.- Charles Cleal, wed. & sat.

Beale Rev. Charles Sheriff M.A. (rector)

COMMERCIAL

Alner Herbt. farmer Bramblecombe farm

Bennett Richard Cave, farmer

Cleal Charles, carrier

Curtis Arthur, farmer

Curtis Tom, The Rivers Arms P.H.

Davis Henry, shopkeeper & post office

Hopkins Walter, thatcher

Kellaway Charles, dairyman

Riggs & Co., wheelwrights & blacksmiths 

Rogers William, farmer, Manor farm

Scutt Cuthbert H. V. farmer

Talbot Fredk. Wm. farmer Waterside

 

Chelselbourne Page | OPC Page