Buckhorn Weston is a scattered parish on the Dorset/Somerset border 4 miles south-east of Wincanton, 4 miles south-west of Gillingham and 8 miles north-west of Shaftesbury.
The church of St John the Baptist is situated on the hillside. A church has existed here from the beginning of the 13th century, part of the north chancel wall dates from this period. The wrought iron gates which were made in memory of Captain Hugh Stapleton can be seen. The south porch also dates from the 13th century and due to subsidence has a 20% slope.
|Census||Transcription of the 1841 Census|
|Postal Directories||Hunts 1851, Kelly's 1889, Topographical Dictionary 1831|
|Other Records|| Monumental
Civic Cemetery, St John the Baptist
Poor Rate in 1679 & 1719
Return of Landowners 1871
|Photographs||Photographs of the church and village by Lynda Mudle-Small|
|Wills||Thomas Davidge [d.
Thomas Davidge [Yeoman of Buckhorn Weston d. 1605]
George Davidge [Yeoman of Buckhorn Weston d. 1658]
Henry Davidge [Yeoman of Buckhorn Weston d. 1705]
|Maps||The 1891 ordnance survey maps of the parish can be seen at the old-maps site, just enter 'Buckhorn Weston' under place search. For modern location maps visit:-|
|Records held at the Dorset History Centre
Christenings 1677-1952. Marriages 1679-1992. Burials 1677-1929.
Visitors to Dorset OPC
Copyright (c) 2017 Dorset OPC Project