Bryanston is a village, civil and former ecclesiastical parish on the River Stour bordered by Blandford Forum, Pimperne, Blandford St Mary, Winterborne Stickland and Durweston. It is thought Bryanston is one of the manors called “Blaneford” in the Domesday Book (1086). By 1286 the manor is variously described as “Blaneford Brian” and “Brianeston”. The name means “estate of Bryan” from Old English tun for estate and the first name of the lord of the manor here in the thirteenth century, Brian de l’Isle (or de Insula in Latin). The manor was then owned by the Rogers family for many generations until it was purchased by Sir William Portman in 1685. After more than two hundred years in the hands of the Portmans, most of the estate passed back to the Crown when three successive heads of the family died within a decade of each other and their fortune was decimated by death duties. The mansion and park was sold to an educational trust in 1928.
Wyatt’s House was pulled down to make way for a new parish church. The old parish church of St Martin’s, now Portman Chapel, was left standing and is situated just a few metres from the new church of St Martin’s. Built c1745, it is an unusual building for a Dorset church, with it’s undifferentiated nave and chancel, rendered external walls, Palladian windows and wooden bell-cote above the western gable housing a clock and a small bell under a concave lead-covered cupola. It was built on the site of the medieval church of which almost nothing was retained. The new church of St Martin’s was completed in 1898 by E.P. Warren and combines elements of the Decorated and the Perpendicular styles. When the parishes of Bryanston and Durweston were merged, St Martin’s became the private chapel of Bryanston School.
1841 Census [Mari Viertal]
1861 Census [Ron Adams]
1891 Census [John Ridout]
Baptisms 1800-1900 [Caryl Parsons]
Marriages 1800-1900 [Caryl Parsons]
Burials 1800-1900 [Caryl Parsons]
|Trade & Postal Directories|
|Records held at the Dorset History Centre
Christenings 1598-1643, 1649-99 & 1763-1973. Marriages 1599-1637 & 1756-1975. Burials 1599-1643,1661-97, 1764-91, 1813-88 & 1967.
Visitors to Dorset OPC
Copyright (c) 2018 Dorset OPC Project