Parish of Broadwinsor
Directory of Dorset 1903
is a village and parish, divided into 5 tithings; it is at the junction of the
roads from Beaminster and Lyme Rigis to Crewkerne, 7 miles north from Bridport
station on a branch of the Great Western railway and 6 south from Crewkerne
station, on the London and South Western railway, 3 north-west from Beaminster
and 10 north-east from Axminster, in the Western division of the county,
Beaminster petty sessional division, union and county court district of Bridport,
rural deanery of Bridport (Beaminster portion), arch- deaconry of Dorset and
diocese of Salisbury.
The village is lighted with oil lamps by private subscription.
The church of St. John the Baptist is an ancient edifice of stone in the
Norman, Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave of
five bays with clerestory, aisles, south porch, and an embattled western tower
containing a clock and 6 bells, rehung and a 6th bell added in 1897:
the north aisle is Early English and the south aisle Norman: the tower is
chiefly Perpendicular:the pulpit is a beautiful and curious structure of wood,
of polygonal form, with a double row of panels, divided by a horizontal roll
enriched with arabesque work of carved foliage, and at the angles dividing the
panels are Perpendicular crocketed buttresses; this is the original pulpit used
by the celebrated Thomas FULLER: the font is Norman, with base of Purbeck
marble: and there is a stained window, erected in 1900 by Mrs. STEVENS,
of Blagdon, as a memorial to members of her family: in 1868 the church was
restored and almost entirely rebuilt by the late Major Charles H MALAN
75th Regiment, at a cost of upwards of £4000, to whom the stained east window
is a memorial: there are 320 sittings.Mr. PINNEY gave some ground for the
enlargement of the churchyard in 1878. The
parish register dates from the year 1558, but there are some previous entries
which are much decayed. The
registers have been rebound and carefully restored, where possible, by experts
at the Record Office, London. The
living is a vicarage, with Broadwindsor annexed, by Order in Council, October
30th, 1902, joint net income £425, with 7 acres of glebe land and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Salisbury, and held since 1895 by
the Rev. George Cyril HUTCHINGS M.A. of Keble College, Oxford.
There is a Congregational chapel, built in 1821 and seating 240 persons,
and an iron Gospel hall holding 50.The local charities amount to about £103
yearly, £30 of which is for the Grammar school at Blackdown and £29 6s.for
educational purposes. Lewesdon and
Pilsdon Hills, known as "Cow" and "Calf," are conspicuous
seamarks, close to the village of Broadwindsor; the former is 960 feet above the
level of the sea and the latter 940. Leweson
Hill, from which there are
extensive and beautiful prospects, is described in a poem by the Rev. William
CROWE, public orator of the University of Oxford and some time rector of
Stoke Abbott. Blackdown House, the
seat of Edward PINNEY esq. J.P. and built is 1697, stands in well-wooded
grounds of about 15 acres, commanding extensive views of the surrounding
country. The Rev. John C PINNEY
M.A. vicar of Coleshill, Birmingham, who is lord of the manor F. H. HATCHARD
esq. Dorchester, Edward PINNEY esq. J. P. of Blackdown, T. S. STEVENS
and Tatchell STUDLEY esqrs. and Edward P. GUNDRY esq. Of Bridport
are the principle landowners. The
soil is various. The land is used
for grazing and dairy land. The
area is 6,095 acres; rateable value, £7,738; in 1901 the population was 994.
Childhay is a tithing, 2 1/2 miles north-west, on the Somerset border.
Netherhay is a hamlet, 2 1/2 miles north-west and has a Wesleyan chapel,
built in 1838, and seating 100. Little
Windsor, 1 1/4 miles north, is a tithing and a manor of which T. S. STEVENS
esq. Is lord. Dibberford is a
tithing 2 miles north-east. Birdsmoorgate
is a hamlet 3 1/4 miles south-west.
hamlet is 3 miles west. Holy
Trinity chapel of ease; at Blackdown, was erected in 1840 by the late Ven.G.
A. DENISON, archdeacon of Taunton, and in 1900 a painted and carved reredos
and a painting of the "Nativity" were erected to his memory by Rev.
G. C. and Mrs. HUTCHINGS. The
chapel affords 250 sittings. There
is also a Congregational chapel, built in 1821, with 220 sittings, and a
Particular Baptist chapel seating 150. At
Drimpton, a tithing, 2 miles north-west, is St. Mary's chapel of ease, erected
at the cost of the Rev. S. C. MALAN D.D. late vicar of Broadwindsor, and
consecrated in 1861, with 150 sittings.Parish Clerk, Charles H. TAYLOR
M. O. & T. O., T. M. O., S. B., E. D., P. P. & A. & I. O. - Alfred
POPE, sub-postmaster. Letters
from Beaminster R.S.O. received at 8.10 a.m. & 4.40 p.m.; despatched at
5.10; sundays neither delivery or dispatch.
Telegraph office open on week days from 8 a.m.; sundays from 8 to 10 a.m.
Pillar Box, Drimpton, cleared at 3.35 p.m. week days only.
Letter Box, Blackdown (letters from Crewkerne), cleared at 3.30 p.m. week days
for Birdsmoorgate are received from Charmouth R.S.O. at 10.30 a.m.
Nearest post office at Marshalsea.
Grammar, Blackdown, founded 1725; average attendance, 7 boys; Emmanuel
Broadwindsor (mixed), built in 1835, & restored in 1878, for 120 children;
average attendance, 102; Charles H. TAYLOR, master; Mrs. Maud
Ellen SMITH, mistress.
Blackdown (mixed), built in 1847, for 70 children; average attendance 33; Mrs.
Emily LIDDELL, mistress.
Drimpton (mixed), built in 1874, & enlarged in 1886, to hold 100 children;
average attendance 54; Joel STUDLEY, master
Police, John HAINES, constable, Birdsmoorgate; & Charles CHURCHILL,
Carrier to Crewkerne. - George SYMES, of Burstock, tues. thurs. & sat.
BROADWINSOR PAGE OPC HOME PAGE