Blandford Forum

Blandford Forum (or Chipping Blandford) is a market town and parish situated in the east of the county and lies between Wimborne and Sherborne. The town stands on the River Stour, and formerly on the Dorset Central Railway (later the Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway). It has an unfortunate history having been nearly destroyed by fire in 1579, plundered by Parliamentarian forces in 1644 and almost totally destroyed by fire in 1731, at which date all the Bishop's Transcripts for the county deposited in Blandford were lost to the flames. Consequently the town dates from 1731 and the parish church of Sts Peter & Paul was rebuilt in 1732. Within the town was also a Congregational Chapel in Salisbury Street, a Primitive Methodist chapel in Albert Street, a Wesleyan Chapel in The Close and the Open Brethren also had a meeting room. There are several cemeteries in the town

The market which is always held on Saturdays was once large and well attended. The headquarters of the B Squadron of the Queen's Own Dorset Yeomanry Cavalry and H Company of the 1st Volunteer Battalion, Dorsetshire Regiment were stationed here. A cottage hospital was built in 1889. The neighbourhood is rich in Roman and Early British remains and there are fortified camps and barrows on the higher land surrounding the town.

In 1871 the parish comprised about 862 acres and the population was approximately 3,900, accomodated in 731 houses [Source Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales]

The excellent photographs are courtesy of the FreeFoto.Com web site, there are more Blandford photos on their site.

              
The OPC for Blandford Forum is Michelle Cook

Please put OPC Blandford Forum in the Subject Line (click on the above link for a pre-formed and addressed email)


Census 1841 Census in 4 parts:
District 1, District 2, District 3, Union Workhouse
1861 Census in 4 parts:
District 1, District 2, District 3, District 4
1891 Census in 4 parts (transcribed by John Ridout):
District 3, District 4, District 5, District 6
1901 Census in 4 parts:

District 1
, District 2-p1, District 2-p2, District 3
Parish Registers Please read Bishop's Transcripts for details of missing records. Also see early extracts from the registers 1718-1741

Bishops Transcripts
Baptisms
1814-1830, 1831-1849 & 1851-1879
Marriages 1814-1846
Burials 1814-1830, 1831-1846

Protestant Dissenter Baptisms 1785-1808
Non-Conformist Records Congregational Baptisms 1760-1809 [Jan Hibberd]
Congregational Burials 1819-1831 [Jan Hibberd]
Postal Directories Universal Directory 1791 
Pigot's 1831
directory
Kelly's 1875

Post Office Directory 1859

Kelly's 1895
Directory are on site.
Church For further historical and other information on Blandford Forum Parish Church visit The Cupola Project [see Heritage Trail]
Bailiffs, Mayors & Rectors   Bailiffs – 1592 to 1834
Mayors 1835 – 1860
Rectors 1295 - 1853
Memorials Memorials from the interior of St Peter & St Paul's Church Blandford Forum
War Memorials for WW1 in Blandford
Blandford School War Memorial
Other Records Protestation Returns 1641
Settlement Examination dated 7th April 1781 of William Christopher

Photographs View old Postcards of Blandford Forum, all circa 1900-1920
Modern Photographs of Blandford
Maps The 1891 ordnance survey maps of the parish can be seen at the old-maps site, just enter 'Blandford Forum' under place search.
Links Blandford Town Museum - a Community Museum run by volunteers
The Blandfordians (formerly the Old Blandfordians Association) is an association of past and present pupils and staff of ALL of the schools in Blandford Forum
Records held at the Dorset History Centre
PE/BF
Registers
Christenings 1732-1969. Marriages 1731-1975. Burials 1732-1921. Banns 1823-1984.

Transcripts
Christenings & Burials 1731-1883. Marriages 1731-1883.

OPC PAGE

Visitors to Dorset OPC

shopify site analytics

Privacy Policy

Copyright (c) 2017 Dorset OPC Project